Here's a Beat-Up Coin that I'm Super Stoked About :D

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Johndakerftw, Nov 20, 2016.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Here's an as of Germanicus that I no longer own but saved a photo of. Has anyone ever seen a hole go halfway through a coin before? Any idea what happened to this coin? Germanicus4.jpg

TIF, Johndakerftw, Theodosius and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

My only "Holey" Ancient...

RI Arcadius AR Siliqua 383-408 CE Roma Seated Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Arcadius AR Siliqua 383-408 CE Roma Seated

Ex: @John Anthony from the Doug Smith Collection

TIF, stevex6, Mikey Zee and 4 others like this.
  4. Golden age

Golden age Go for the gold

Now that's a Coin with a holier than thou attitude.. the hole placement is such that they don't ruin the design. Nice coin.

Johndoe2000$ and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. jggonzalez99

jggonzalez99 Member

Here's another worn coin that I couldn't pass up. I sometimes carry this one in my pocket.

jcaesar_jgg.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Alegandron, Parthicus, Orfew and 6 others like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Neat!

As you can see from my avatar, I once collected a lot of "holey" coins, but since this is the Ancient forum, I'll just share the ancients.

This one was the onetime centerpiece of my "Holey Gold Hat" of avatar fame.

[​IMG]

ZENO the Isaurian (474-491 AD), AV solidus, Victory, ex-Eliasberg, struck after 476 AD

Obverse- D N ZENO PERP AVG, diademed, helmeted and cuirassed three-quarter facing bust, holding spear over shoulder and shield decorated with horseman spearing a fallen enemy.
    Reverse- VICTORI-A AVGGG, Victory standing left, holding long cross, two stars in field, CONOB in exergue.
    Ex- Stack's auction of the Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. Collection, 4/15/2005, Lot 24.

Then there was this enormous Byzantine (or "Romaion", if you prefer) follis, which I couldn't pass up for twenty bucks. First a scan, with a US dime shown for scale. Then photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of the Holey Coin ensemble, some folks had asked for pictures of it and I couldn't find them. Thought them lost for good, but then I discovered I had some in my old gallery at FORVM. So here they are.

The Holey Gold Hat, circa 2010 or thereabouts.
    (A few of the individual coin pictures)
    [​IMG]

Holey Coin Vest I, circa 2000.
    [​IMG]

Holey Coin Vest II, circa 2004, from which the avatar was made, as you can see.
    (Old tabby ruins at Retreat Plantation, St. Simons Island, GA in the background.)
    (Here are some individual World coins off the vest - and some of the US coins.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Alegandron, Parthicus, Orfew and 6 others like this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

You win the thread!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

I denuded the hat of all the gold coins in the big 2013 purge, when I started the Box of 20 (all of my prior collections except my metal detecting finds got rolled into that).

But I kept the hat itself, and am now beginning to repopulate it, with holey love tokens.

9. lordmarcovan

Thanks, but sorry if I hijacked or unintentionally derailed it. I got excited there when I found the old pictures of my holey coins, which I thought were gone.

@Johndakerftw - apologies for forgetting to mention how cool I think that holey "comet" denarius is. I'd have happily put something like that on the Holey Coin Vest, back in the day.

I wonder if these "comet" pieces (and no doubt others) were holed in antiquity for religious/superstitious reasons, to be worn as talismans?

Keep 'em comin'. I love a good "beat up coins" thread.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is my opinion. I can see it being a popular type for use by veterans or fans of Caesar.
    http://www.lanzauctions.com/viewcoin.php?sid=330&lot=330
    Note the estimate was € 1000 but it realized € 12500 (plus add-ons). I suspect without the holes it would have brought more but this is not the best one. There are a few with full NΩE on the box which should bring a big premium.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  11. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

No worries, lordmarcovan! I really like seeing everyone else's coins. You had some mad coins! That hat and vest were total boss!! :cool:

Unfortunately, Noah won't be coming anywhere near my collection. :(

Erin

12. jggonzalez99

jggonzalez99 Member

Here's one that got away! :-( It sold on eBay for around $65 two weeks before I started looking. I feel like Darth Vader looking at the ceiling and screaming "Nooo!"

Attached Files:

13. jggonzalez99

jggonzalez99 Member

Sorry, duplicate post!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted