Damage or Oxidation to Silver Coin

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by FryDaddyJr, Feb 1, 2020.

1. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Yep. It was a journey. Their stories were much more interesting than I thought they would be. I found Sarah Polk and Edith Wilson to be particularly interesting.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

you have both unc and proof ? that's a few coins.

4. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

5. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I actually have thought about the set. I have a few. I find them more interesting than the president's, (maybe because I od'ed on US history when younger.

yakpoo likes this.
  7. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

some of the UNC are very low mintage

8. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Nope. The story has been told of a well-known dealer who dipped a dollar while in its slab. The only problem was that he couldn't get all of the moisture out of it afterwards.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

He couldn't have been trying very hard, then. Vacuum pumps and containers are easy enough to come by. Let it sit under a strong vacuum for a week or two, and it'll be dry.

Kentucky likes this.
  10. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

It was done as a joke to prove slabs weren't water tight. He wasn't really trying to prove anything else. He ended up putting it in a microwave, which melted the holder, and then sent it back to the TPG to be reholdered. I don't know if they did it or not.

11. -jeffB

Wow. I hope the coin wasn't very serious either; melting plastic around it couldn't have been great for it...

Kentucky likes this.
  12. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Try a jewelry silver polishing cloth. No abrasive materials or chemicals. Works well for my silver and bullion coins/ingots. Just make sure your coins have been rinsed in distilled water and air dried to get rid of microscopic dust/dirt that will cause abrasions. Just my humble opinion.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  13. -jeffB

PLEASE STOP SAYING THIS. As we said in the other thread, if you think a jewelry polishing cloth doesn't abrade your coins, it just means that you don't know how to recognize abrasion.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I really, really don't want anybody else to happen on this thread (or the other one) and decide that polishing coins is a good idea.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  14. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I got about halfway through two (2) collections of both MS/PR. I wanted a full ungraded set and a graded one. Unfortunately, I ran low on funds and had to sell some of my ungraded coins to complete the graded set.

There was a group of us working on the series, but I don't see the others (like Joe Ceravone, Spock, and Crispy) around anymore. I took a lotta heat on CT for spending so much money for modern bullion coins. Whatever happens, I still have about 75 ounces of low mintage gold. I'm just glad it's over (Phew!).

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Kentucky likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

nonononononononononononononononononononononono

-jeffB likes this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Please stop telling people to do this. It will kill the value of the coin.

-jeffB and Kentucky like this.
  17. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

For your own edification, I'd suggest you try to duplicate your reported experiment, and please let us know what happens. I believe you'd learn something interesting.

JMHO

18. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

The microscopic striations may not adversely effect bullion or "silverwear", but often can be readily seen in the fields of a coin.

JMHO

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

They can be seen o anything done this way if you bother to look.

Draft saved Draft deleted