To Clean or Not to, hey look!! A squirrel!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sam Stone, Feb 14, 2020.

1. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure there was more than just 1. Arlo would be proud!

Sam Stone likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

If you need help cleaning that squirrel, I can help with that.

longshot and Sam Stone like this.
  4. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

From littering?

5. Sam Stone

I had a stroke and simple reading can sometimes be a serious and painstakingly slow ordeal. Videos are even worse. However, I have found coins and collecting to be absolutely fascinating so at least I've been able to keep up with reading and posting in the forums better than anything I've found in a very long time. Not wanting to be hyperbolic but you guys are giving me a gift by patiently helping and even my wife has mentioned a noticeable improvement. That means you're helping my family too, and only God comes before my family. Can't say thank you enough.

Kentucky, Rust_junky, Hookman and 2 others like this.
  6. Sam Stone

I thought I might take the squirrel and put it under the garbage.

7. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

I've found that a "bath" in distilled water, with agitation, will remove most dirt and other particles from silver coins. Then, after air drying, I use a jewelry polishing cloth (silver). Works wonders and leaves no abrasions. Just my humble opinion.

Sam Stone likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Polishing cloths will destroy the value of your coins. Polishing your coins is never a good idea.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's one of the worse things you can do to a coin.

10. Collecting Nut

My prayers go with you and your family. Take your time, do and learn what you can but most of all, enjoy what you do.

Sam Stone, Hookman and Chuck_A like this.
  11. sambyrd44

sambyrd44 Well-Known Member

this coin had thick green PVC slime and it was etching the surfaces. You bet I used acetone and distilled water rinses until the coin was "clean" Careful cleaning has a place to conserve a coin. upload_2020-2-16_9-38-39.png

Sam Stone likes this.
  12. sambyrd44

this coin almost at the end of removing the pvc upload_2020-2-16_9-41-2.png

Sam Stone and longshot like this.
  13. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Why do you say "bath" and not bath, and how are you agitating it? And I believe a jewelry polishing cloth contains abrasive material, like diamond dust. I would avoid using it anyway.

14. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

More room here on the Group W bench with your buds

Hookman and Kentucky like this.
  15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Please don't.

If you're agitating a coin in distilled water (or anything else), you're rubbing it against the container. Rubbing a coin is bad.

If you're rubbing a coin with a jewelry polishing cloth (rubbing a coin is bad), you are POLISHING it. Yes, it'll come out looking super-shiny. But it will also be ruined for experienced collectors, and a big disappointment for inexperienced collectors who learn more after they've bought it.

sambyrd44 and Hookman like this.
  16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

NO.

Rubbing a coin is bad.
    If you brush it super-lightly with a delicate brush, you probably won't see any abrasions with your naked eye, but that's no guarantee that you aren't creating them. You're also dragging dirt across the face of the coin, which is even more likely to leave abrasions.

As @Kentucky and @Collecting Nut said, nail polish remover often isn't pure acetone. It rarely specifies what the additives are, and lots of additives can cause discoloration or even corrosion on coins. It's much wiser (and much cheaper) to get pure acetone.

I respect your experience with metal cleaning, but there are different rules, constraints and goals when you're cleaning contacts as opposed to coin surfaces. Be cautious when generalizing from one to the other.

Hookman, Chuck_A and Collecting Nut like this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Very well said!

Hookman likes this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...but we had fun on the bench, talking about...

Hookman and ja59 like this.
  19. sambyrd44

Here is one from my type set. Its in an old ANACS I sent in myself 20ish years ago. Its got some slow growing funk one of these days it will get an acetone bath but I hate cracking those slabs. upload_2020-2-16_15-27-36.png

Hookman likes this.
  20. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

... all kinds of groovy coins that we was talking about on the bench ...

Heavymetal, Hookman and ja59 like this.
  21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...and the biggest meanest one of them all came up to me and said "Yeah, kid, what kind of coins did you find" and I said "Quarters" and they all moved away from me until I said "And I found 3 W's" and they all moved back and we had a fun time..."

Draft saved Draft deleted