Could the TPG's have all the nice coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevinfred, Feb 23, 2014.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Most collections were put together way before NGC or PCGS even existed. I talk coins in general here, not US only. Plastic craze is viral within the US, not so much for the rest of the world. Some on the greatest collections are located in museums around the world, not slabbed.

TPG's are good to tell you if a coin's genuine or not and put a grade on it to make it easier to sell. Museums don't care if a coin is a 65 or 66, that's just a trick to sell coins. Museums are about history, not profit, thus would never submit coins.

Besides museums...

Don't forget, people collect coins for thousands of years, so yeah people manage to come by these high quality coins, unslabbed, without people in the business. Coin collecting is not always a business.

There was a world of raw collections before plastic, and there will be one after it.

Well I could be wrong but that's my opinion.

torontokuba likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

The better question is why wouldn't you?

Burnside_Q likes this.
  4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Some people like slabbed coins...and some people don't. I don't see a problem either way.

5. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I don't have a problem either way what people prefer either, Camaro. I was just trying to make a point.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

A couple of things here. Just about every museum there is, regularly takes the coins in their collection and has an employee wipe them all down real good with a cloth. So while you may find scarce and rare coins in a museum, you'll be hard pressed to find one that isn't a problem coin. So coins in museums don't even qualify as high quality coins.

Second thing, for centuries it was the accepted practice for coin collectors to wipe, polish, and otherwise harshly clean the coins in their collections. That practice still hasn't ended, but granted there far fewer who do this today. But even 20 years ago there were quite a few of them. In the '60s and '70s - the majority of collectors did it. So again, most of these coins don't qualify as high quality coins.

That's one of the primary reasons why there are so few high quality coins that still exist.

geekpryde likes this.
  7. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Yet, now and again, a coin surfaces from "the wild"... and everyone wonders where the heck THAT was hiding...

My 1924 Canadian cent, is a perfect example. It was tucked away in an old collection in Nova Scotia for decades, in an envelope. A dealer, whom is also a friend that knows I collect higher end small cents, bought the collection. He sent it to PCGS, and now, it is the only 1924 Canadian cent with a MS-66 grade, and in my collection.

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/post-your-new-canadian-acquisitions.222857/page-47

Of course, this is the exception, not the norm. Most better and rarer coins have pedigrees, sometimes several, attached to them.

8. GDJMSP

Yep, there are some out there, no doubt of that. There may even be a few collections out there that consist of raw high quality coins, or have a few raw high quality coins in them. But there are not many.

Every well known collection that has been sold in the last 20-25 years, and there have been many, has had the coins slabbed before they were sold. I cannot think of a single one where that was not done - with the possible exception of the collections of some EAC members.

9. Burnside_Q

Burnside_Q Member

I have cracked dozens of graded coins just in the past few months. I prefer viewing them my Dansco albums. I don't plan on selling these coins so I don't see a downside. I hunt for the most beautiful washingtons/mercs I can find/afford and if they happen to be in a holder they get cracked. I have yet to damage a coin (I use a dremel on the edge of the holder) and some of these are $200-$400 coins.

mlov43 likes this.
  10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

It makes sense...in today's world where a lot of the big coin auctions have online bidding, a slab makes it safer for the bidder. A great example is that gold they found buried in the Sierra Nevada's recently. The first thing they did was send it to PCGS for grading and then they are going to sell it. You realize the better prices that way.

11. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Then, we recently learn about the Saddle Ridge Hoard... what a find to cause a shake-up in the PCGS population reports!!

US_$10_PCGS_1886S_MS66.jpg

JPeace$ likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

Oh it might matter with some of the more scarce date/mint combinations where only a few are known. But other than that, it won't even cause a ripple.

13. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I'll agree that most of the high quality classic coins are accounted for. But for moderns, I'd bet there are enough high quality (top pop) coins sitting in rolls, mint sets & proof sets to drastically change the pop reports. My own hoard alone of 68's, 69's & 70's would move the numbers. ;)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  14. GDJMSP

For Proofs and modern commems - yeah, probably so.

For business strikes, I highly doubt it.

15. statequarterguy

That's probably more true than not. Although I do have many business strikes that I believe are 68's - they're not common by any means, I find no more than 1 or 2 every 3 to 5 rolls. Then, I have not checked non satin mints sets, are they full of 68's and some 69's, like the satins were?

16. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Do the cracked slabs go in the garbage or recycling. Maybe the TPG's should provide some relief for the landfills?;)

... or thousands of raw coins in MS from a safety deposit box.

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/omaha-bank-hoard.238394/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  17. GDJMSP

Honestly, I suspect you are overly optimistic on your grades.

No, they are definitely not. You'll be hard pressed to find 67s. And a large part, probably a very large part, of the reason for the higher grades of the satin finish coins has to do with the fact that the TPGs had just changed (loosened) their grading standards when the satins started coming out.

18. statequarterguy

You may be correct, I haven't sent any off to be graded - just putting them in Ait-Tites for now.

As far as loosing the standards, aren't the standards still loose or have they tightened? At the start of the satin program, they were much higher quality - toward end, terrible quality, so probably the same for non satin sets starting in 2011.

19. GDJMSP

I think they are as loose or worse they were. Over the years it's proven to be a progressive standard, getting more and more loose as the years pass.

But do you understand why the first satin coins were nicer ? Money, it cost money to produce dies. With the satin coins the mint soon discovered a lesson they had learned many years ago with Proofs. That being that if they wanted the desired finish, they had to use more dies because the satin finish wore off quickly - just like the cameo finish does. That caused them to spend more money than they wanted to on dies. So in succeeding years they began striking more coins with each die set, that caused more lower quality satin coins to be produced.

The mints goal is not to produce the highest quality coins they can, they are a business and their goal is to make money.

A lot of folks try to use the reasoning that the explanation for all the higher grade coins from the TPGs in recent years is because the mint has done something miraculous and started producing higher quality coins. They choose to believe that explanation because they don't want to believe the other one - that the TPGs have merely loosened their standards. The lower quality satin coins after the first year, pretty much proves that the former explanation is not correct, and the latter is.

20. statequarterguy

Sure, they've loosened the standards, the Red Book calls it "gradeflation". I've noticed it most with the next generation of PCGS slabs after the green label – compared to today’s slabs, you can often ad a grade to the green label. The last time I read the PCGS standards they said a PR69 should only have flaws visible at 5x magnification, but most 69's I see have flaws visible with the naked eye.

I’ve also noticed some crazy high grades on hoards. I bought a 1956 Omaha Hoard MS65 Franklin and returned it, as I have MS63’s that look better. It will be interesting to see what the Saddle Ridge Hoard actually looks like compared to previous top pops.

I guess it increases their profit by satisfying more customers, especially the big sellers, with higher grades on their slabs, although, IMO, it lessens their credibility. Even if the collector doesn't follow the rule, "Buy the coin, not the slab", the higher graded coins are worth less than they would be if standards were stricter, because there's more high grades out there.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted