Omaha Bank Hoard

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by William DeBerry, Nov 5, 2013.

1. I have these three Washington Quarters from the 'Omaha Bank Hoard' that I got a few weeks back. Now, I have heard different things about this so-called hoard, but I am curious, does anyone else here have any coins from this hoard and, if so, could you post some pictures?

2013-11-05_18-33-55_854.jpg
    2013-11-05_18-35-44_596.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

I have an MS-66 1956-D dime from the Omaha Bank Hoard. I bought it for $6, which I thought was a pretty good deal. Sorry, I'm bad at taking pics ;)

4. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I hope you didn't pay a premium for the label... I mean, it doesn't even say which bank on the flip. :p

jester3681 likes this.
  5. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I read somewhere some time ago that the Omaha Bank Hoard was just that. A man passed away and they opened his safe deposit box in an Omaha bank to find dozens of BU rolls of coins from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. They were all in fairly good shape, but most graded in the MS64-66 range. Like NK said, although the story is neat, the label is just that - a label. There's nothing inherently valuable about them above a standard coin of the same grade. I plan to purchase one to fill a slot in my type set - most likely my Franklin half, more for the novelty than anything else...

torontokuba likes this.
  6. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Omaha Franklin (2).jpg

From the PCGS website. . . "The enigmatic Omaha Bank Hoard is said to have contained several thousand rolls of coins hand picked for gem quality by a collector who wished to remain obscure. What is amazing is that the collection spans almost 50 years from the early 30s through around 1980. The only complete set is the 1946-64 Silver Roosies. Others remain incomplete for unknown reasons. From an economic standpoint, introduction of these coins led to marked distortion in population figures as many issues became rather common in gem quality once these coins became available. There are around 300 different dates/denominations available with this pedigree. This set is limited to the earlier issues extending through the early 1960s."

7. Paid no premium for the label. Originally just was getting the 1947-P to go with my other Washington Quarters, but then I saw the other two that went with it so figured, why not?

jester3681 likes this.
  8. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Just like with any other pool of certified coins, I have found some wonderful coins with this label and have found many more that I thought were overgraded. Be selective and you will be happy.

Endeavor and jester3681 like this.
  9. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

I'm guessing that PCGS & NGC with other grading companies bid on them, graded them then put them in Heritage auctions to see if they would turn a profit. The rest is history.

Draft saved Draft deleted