ASEs slightly overweight, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by DMPL_dingo, Mar 14, 2021.

1. DMPL_dingo

DMPL_dingo Well-Known Member

I’ve measured various ASEs (different sources and years) across two scales and the majority of the time I’ve gotten readings of 1.01ozt or 31.2/31.3 grams. I read the exact weight should be 31.101g. Is it normal that ~2/3 of these are slightly overweight? Should I be concerned?

356C544A-A9E6-4521-AA82-E65FFE14F933.jpeg
    25190AD8-FA17-4628-85A9-732B5F1B12D6.jpeg

This add up quickly. Say 2/3 are overweight. In 2019 the government minted 14,863,500 bullion ASEs.

14863500*2/3 = 9,908,999 coins @1.01ozt

9,908,999 coins / 100 = 99,090 extra ozt

If 2/3 of ASEs weigh 1.01ozt, then the government would have used an extra 99,090 ozt of silver in 2019 alone.

Attached Files:

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

This subject has come up before and to get absolute "true" weights, you would probably have to weigh one coin, calibrate your scale, weigh another coin, calibrate your scale, etc. Hardly worth the trouble at all. If you can see that each coin is genuine, they most likely are and the difference in weight you're getting is extremely minimal and not enough to worry about.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Did you buy from reputable folks? Not to worry fatso........

5. DMPL_dingo

I’d like to think so...is this within standard tolerance? I don’t have a sigma, but could visit an LCS I suppose if I had to.

fretboard likes this.
  6. DMPL_dingo

Thanks. Everything else checks out in terms of the “simple tests” - the normal eye test, ping test, magnet...it’s across ASEs I’ve bought from different places too. Not like one haul. I guess I could buy acid and partly ruin one...but there’s nothing that would make me suspect counterfeit other than this weight issue?

fretboard likes this.
  7. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

A silver eagle weighs 31.103 grams. a troy oz.... 31.1035 grams. same thing really.

your scale is taking the bits of the 20 and rounding it up while rounding down to 1.01 on individual coins, in oz mode.

Also in oz. is it weighing as an oz. or as a troy oz. because if its a 28.3495 gram oz and not a 31.1035 gram oz,, that's a problem.

it's rounding up to an oz and a bit, you should be in grams. not oz.

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  8. DMPL_dingo

Thanks. Yes I’m weighing in ozt. I purchased a scale on Amazon last night with a better graduation (.01g/.001ozt) as well.

I just read through a thread on a different forum from ten years ago, but filled with a lot of good info. People weighing their own ASEs and reporting similar slightly elevated weights, as well as a few posts mentioning the reason:

“When coins are made, they are required to weigh a certain amount, such as the ASEs that are 1 troy ounce (31.1034768g). If they could, they would make them exactly 31.1034768g. But they cannot. They have to accept a certain variance in the weights. Scientists could perhaps produce small numbers of blanks that weigh 31.103g, but if you are making 4,000,000+ blanks a month, you're going to need to accept a higher variance.

But, they cannot aim for 31.1g, or else 1/2 of the coins would weigh less, and couldn't be used (unless you're China; I've heard quite a few real Panda coins weigh slightly less than they should). So they have to aim for a somewhat higher number, perhaps 31.3g. If the tolerance is +/- .2g, that would get them in the range 31.1-31.5g.”

9. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

The most over Troy-Oz bullion coin in my collection is an ASE from 1988 at 31.511 grams.

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  10. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Yes it’s fine.

I did an thread comparing 1 oz silver rounds from a dozen different countries.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/chinese-vs-australian-bullion-wow.371107/

The Chinese pandas were the only ones underweight repeatedly.

30.9 grams on average instead of 31.1g

Every other country had slightly overweight bullion.

If it’s between 31.1g and 31.3g it’s fine.

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  11. DMPL_dingo

Thank you!

12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

This isn't advertised by Sigma, but they will call a nice copper round .999+ silver. Don't rely on them alone.

DMPL_dingo likes this.
  13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Has anybody heard of China ?...LOL

14. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

My lowest is a 2019 Mexican Libertad at 31.079 grams.

15. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

The Gold panda's I have were correct weights.

16. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I've never gone wrong with a purchase from ProvidentMetals website. I hope your coins check out fine as they look like a nice stack to me!

17. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

I bought my Panda's from a reputable LCD.

18. Vernon Rowe

Vernon Rowe New Member

I just bought a 2023 se and it weighs 31.39 g. Is it a fake?

19. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Weight is not the only factor to consider
    when determining authenticity as that is
    probably the easiest thing to replicate.

Draft saved Draft deleted