Artemis the huntress

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Artemis (Roman Diana) was a daughter of Zeus and the Titaness Leto and the twin-sister of Apollo. Her mother was hounded by Zeus' jealous wife Hera throughout her pregnancy and was forced to wander the world in search of safe refuge, which she finally found on the Island of Delos.

Artemis was born before her twin brother and, being a precocious divine child, she assisted her mother with Apollo's birth. She became therefore a goddess of childbirth, and the protectress of girls up to the age of marriage (her twin brother Apollo was similarly the protector of boys). Together the two gods were also bringers of sudden death and disease--Artemis targeted women and girls, Apollo men and boys. But her role as goddess of childbirth is a subject for a future thread.

Artemis became identified with Selene (Roman Luna), the moon. As the goddess of the moon, she wears a long robe which reaches down to her feet, a veil covers her head, and above her forehead or on her shoulders she bears the crescent of the moon. In her hand she often appears holding a torch, as on many Roman imperial coins depicting her as Diana Lucifera. But her role as moon goddess is a subject for a future thread.

I have already written of her as Artemis Tauropolos and of the Ephesian Artemis, who was different in many respects from the Greek goddess of the same name.

Today, however, I write about Artemis as the goddess of hunting, the wilderness and wild animals. Post your Artemis coins!

As the huntress, she is depicted in ancient art as tall, nimble, and with small hips; her forehead is high, her eyes glancing freely about, and her hair tied up behind in such a manner, that some locks float down her neck; her breast is covered, and the legs up to the knees are naked, the rest being covered by the chlamys. Her attributes are the bow, quiver, and arrows, or a spear, stags, and dogs.

Homeric Hymn 27 to Artemis (Hugh G. Evelyn-White, ed.) well summarizes her in this role:

Ἄρτεμιν ἀείδω χρυσηλάκατον, κελαδεινήν,
    παρθένον αἰδοίην, ἐλαφηβόλον, ἰοχέαιραν,
    αὐτοκασιγνήτην χρυσαόρου Ἀπόλλωνος,
    ἣ κατ᾽ ὄρη σκιόεντα καὶ ἄκριας ἠνεμοέσσας
    ἄγρῃ τερπομένη παγχρύσεα τόξα τιταίνει
    πέμπουσα στονόεντα βέλη: τρομέει δὲ κάρηνα
    ὑψηλῶν ὀρέων, ἰάχει δ᾽ ἔπι δάσκιος ὕλη
    δεινὸν ὑπὸ κλαγγῆς θηρῶν, φρίσσει δέ τε γαῖα
    πόντος τ᾽ ἰχθυόεις: ἣ δ᾽ ἄλκιμον ἦτορ ἔχουσα
    πάντη ἐπιστρέφεται θηρῶν ὀλέκουσα γενέθλην.
    αὐτὰρ ἐπὴν τερφθῇ θηροσκόπος ἰοχέαιρα,
    εὐφρήνῃ δὲ νόον, χαλάσασ᾽ εὐκαμπέα τόξα
    ἔρχεται ἐς μέγα δῶμα κασιγνήτοιο φίλοιο,
    Φοίβου Ἀπόλλωνος, Δελφῶν ἐς πίονα δῆμον,
    Μουσῶν καὶ Χαρίτων καλὸν χορὸν ἀρτυνέουσα.
    ἔνθα κατακρεμάσασα παλίντονα τόξα καὶ ἰοὺς
    ἡγεῖται χαρίεντα περὶ χροῒ κόσμον ἔχουσα,
    ἐξάρχουσα χορούς: αἳ δ᾽ ἀμβροσίην ὄπ᾽ ἰεῖσαι
    ὑμνεῦσιν Λητὼ καλλίσφυρον, ὡς τέκε παῖδας
    ἀθανάτων βουλῇ τε καὶ ἔργμασιν ἔξοχ᾽ ἀρίστους.
    χαίρετε, τέκνα Διὸς καὶ Λητοῦς ἠυκόμοιο:
    αὐτὰρ ἐγὼν ὑμέων τε καὶ ἄλλης μνήσομ᾽ ἀοιδῆς.

I sing of Artemis, with arrows of gold, strong-voiced,
    the revered virgin, the deer-shooter, who delights in arrows,
    own sister to Apollo of the golden sword,
    who, over the shady hills and windy peaks,
    draws her golden bow, rejoicing in the chase,
    and sends out grievous shafts. The mountain tops
    tremble and the tangled wood echoes dreadfully
    with the outcry of beasts: the earth quakes
    and the sea also where fishes shoal.
    But the goddess with a bold heart turns every way
    destroying the race of wild beasts,
    and when she is satisfied and has cheered her heart,
    then the huntress who delights in arrows
    slackens her supple bow
    and goes to the great house of her dear brother,
    Phoebus Apollo, to the rich land of Delphoi,
    to direct the lovely dance of the Muses and the Graces.
    There she hangs up her curved bow and her arrows,
    and leads the dances, gracefully arrayed,
    while they all sing with heavenly voice
    how neat-ankled Leto bore children
    supreme among the immortals both in thought and deed.
    Hail to you, children of Zeus and rich-haired Leto!
    And now I will remember you and another song also.

Faustina Jr Augusta Trajana Artemis.jpg
    Artemis standing right, holding bow, drawing arrow from quiver, hound at her side. Roman provincial bronze (25.1 mm, 8.88 g) of Faustina II from Augusta Traiana in Thrace (Moushmov 2982; similar to Sear GIC 1729 & BMC 3.177.1 (Artemis running left)).

Gordian III Hadrianopolis Artemis.jpg
    Artemis standing left, holding patera and bow, quiver over her shoulder; stag at side. Roman provincial bronze (24.2 mm, 9.53 g) of Gordian III from Hadrianopolis in Thrace (BMC 30; Moushmov 2685; Varbanov 3888; Jurukova 476).

Otacilia Severa Bizya.jpg
    Artemis standing right, holding arrow and torch; stag at her feet. Roman provincial bronze (23.5 mm, 6.89 g) of Otacilia Severa from Bizya in Thrace (Moushmov 3514; Sear GIC 3991; Varbanov 1592; Lindgren I 759; Youroukova 148).

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you for the wonderful write-up @Roman Collector ! I really enjoy your posts... cool stuff. GREAT coins... fun to tie the History to the coins!

Hmmm... let me try:

Here are a couple of Artemis:

upload_2018-6-24_15-9-9.png
    Syracuse Tyrant Gelon 458-478 BCE AR Tet 24mm 16.7g Slow Biga Victory Artemus-Arethusa 4 dolphins Sear-Greek 914

Lydia Hierocaesareia AE15 Artemis Persica - Stag 1st C CE.jpg
    RI Prv Lydia Hierocaesarea 54-59 CE Capito under Nero Artemis STAG Leaping / Killing RPC 1 2391-2

4. Alegandron

I really liked this too:
    LUNA:

RR Anon 189-179 BCE AR Den Roma Luna Biga S 69 Cr 158-1.jpg
    Roman Republic Anon 189-179 BCE AR Den Roma Luna in Biga Sear 69 Cr 158-1

RR Furius Purpurio 169-157 BCE Roma Luna Biga Linear Frame murex shell.jpg
    Roman Republic Furius Purpurio 169-157 BCE Roma Luna in Biga Linear Frame murex shell

DIANA LUCIFERA:
    upload_2018-6-24_15-14-40.png
    Roman Imperatorial P Clodius Mf Turrinus AR denarius 20mm 3.6g Rome 42 BCE Laureate hd Apollo R lyre - Diana Lucifera torches Craw 494-23 CRI 184 Syd 1117

5. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice writeup and coins, RC :)

Katniss Everdeen, Daughter of Zeus and Leto :)
    [​IMG]

My first Artemis:

[​IMG]
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Marcianopolis
    Macrinus and Diadumenian, CE 217-218
    AE pentassarion, 27 mm, 12.3 gm
    Obv: AYT K M OΠEΛ CEV MAKPEINOC K M OΠE ANTΩNINOC; Laureate head of Macrinus left and bare head of Diadumenian right, confronted
    Rev: VΠ ΠONTIANOV MAPKIANOΠOΛEITΩN; Artemis advancing right, reaching for an arrow in quiver at shoulder and holding bow, hound at foot, E in left field
    Ref: Varbanov 1159 var. (obverse legend); Megaw MAR5.12d; Hristova/Jekov 6.24.13.1

And a more recent acquisition, a creepier version of the goddess:

[​IMG]
    L. Hostilius Saserna
    48 BCE
    AR denarius, 19 mm, 4.1 g, 6 h. Rome
    Obv: Bare head of a Gallic woman to right, with long disheveled hair; behind, carnyx; in field to right, 3 test cuts.
    Rev: L.HOSTILIVS / SASERNA; Artemis (Diana) standing facing, holding stag with her right hand and spear with her left
    Ref: Crawford 448/3. Sydenham 953.
    Ex W. F. Stoecklin, Amriswil, Switzerland, acquired prior to 1975.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Diana on reverse of Gallienus. RIC 291. GallFelicit       scarce.jpg GallF Diana     RIC 291.jpg

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks for the writeup, @Roman Collector, I really enjoyed it! Artemis/Diana is featured on some of my favorite coins.

Macedonia - First Meris Tetradrachm 1946.jpg
    MACEDONIA, Roman Protectorate, First Meris
    AR Tetradrachm. 16.84g, 32.7mm. MACEDONIA (as Roman Protectorate), First Meris, Amphipolis mint, circa 167 - 149 BC. SNG Cop 1313; Prokopov 127. O: Diademed and draped bust of Artemis right, bow and quiver over shoulder, in the center of a Macedonian shield. R: Club; monogram above, two monograms below, MAKEΔONΩN above, ΠPΩTHΣ below; all within oak wreath, thunderbolt to left.

Lot - RR Hosidius Geta.jpg ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius. 4.03g, 18.8mm. Rome mint, 64 BC. C. Hosidius C.f. Geta, moneyer. Crawford 407/2. O: Draped bust of Diana right, wearing stephane, earring, and double necklace of pendants; bow and quiver over shoulder; III VIR down left, GETA down right. R: Calydonian Boar standing right, pierced by spear and harried by hound below; C HOSIDI C F in exergue.

Antoninus Pius - Gemini Lot A - 5 Artemis.jpg ANTONINUS PIUS
    Rare left-facing portrait. Billon Tetradrachm. 12.71g, 22.5mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 5 = AD 141/142. Dattari-Savio pl. 108, 8094 (this coin); Emmett 1362.5; RPC Online 14246 (2 spec., this coin cited). O: Laureate head left. R: L-E, Artemis advancing right, drawing arrow from quiver at shoulder, holding bow.
    Ex Robert L. Grover Collection of Roman-Egyptian Coinage, previously held by the Art Institute of Chicago (1981.513); Ex Giovanni Dattari Collection

Antoninus Pius - Denarius Diana Caesar 1932.jpg ANTONINUS PIUS, as Caesar
    AR Denarius. 2.91g, 20.8mm. Rome mint, AD 138. RIC 447a (Hadrian). O: IMP T AEL CAES ANTONINVS, bare head right. R: TRIB POT COS, Diana standing right, holding bow and arrow.
    Ex Archer M. Huntington Collection, previously held by the American Numismatic Society (1001.57.4904)

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

AEOLIS, KYME 4.jpg
    AEOLIS, KYME
    AE 15
    OBVERSE: K-Y across fields, Artemis standing right, holding torch and clasping hands with figure standing left, holding transverse spear
    REVERSE: Two figures in quadriga right; one holding long transverse spear
    Struck at Aeolis, after 190BC
    3.12g, 15mm
    SNG Cop 113; BMC 96
    Phrygia Apameia.jpg
    APAMEIA, PHRYGIA
    AE23
    OBVERSE: Laureate head of Zeus right
    REVERSE: APAME to the right, cult statue of Artemis Anaïtis standing facing, magistrate HRAKLEI EGLO to left
    Struck at Pergamon 133-27 BC
    8.38g, 22mm
    SNGCop 183.1; BMC Phrygia p. 77, 48
    Hierocaesareia.jpg
    HIEROCAESAREIA SEMI-AUTONOMOUS CIVIC ISSUE
    AE15
    OBVERSE: PERCIKH; draped bust of Artemis Persica right, with bow and quiver
    REVERSE: IEROKAICAREWN, flaming altar
    Struck at Hierocaesaria 117-138AD
    2.66g, 15mm
    BMC 7
    Macrinus 2.jpg
    MACRINUS
    AE 26
    OBVERSE: ΑΥ Κ ΟΠΕΛ ΣΕΥ ΜΑΚΡΕΙΝΟΣ Κ Μ ΟΠΕΛ ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟΣ Κ, laureate head of Macrinus right facing bare headed head of Diadumenian left
    REVERSE: ΥΠ ΠΟΝΤΙΑΝΟΥ ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩ/Ν, Artemis, huntress, advancing r., reaching for an arrow in quiver at shoulder and in her l. hand holding a bow; below a hound. E to centre l
    Struck at Markianopolis, Moesia Inferior, 217 - 218 AD
    10.4g, 26mm
    Moushmov 532

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's cool! I learned a new word and googled it. I found this:

11. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

My latest Arty/Diana - a rare hybrid

c hosidius geta 407-2 hybrid nac 2018.jpg

C. Hosidius C.f. Geta. Denarius serratus 68, AR (3.76g, 19.4mm, 4h). GETA – III·VIR Draped bust of Diana r., with bow and quiver over shoulder. Rev. Boar r. wounded by spear and attacked by hound; in exergue, C·HOSIDI C F. Babelon Hosidia 1 var. Sydenham 903 var. RBW 1458. Crawford 407/2 note. Typically non serrated for the type.

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Well that one is sure hard to follow! :wideyed: But here is my favourite Diana/Artemis:

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 10.25.31 PM.jpg
    I find it historically interesting too: it was issued to pay Pompey's troops in the war against the rebel Sertorius in Spain, and Sertorius was famous for his special relationship with Diana/Artemis. He was alleged to communicate with the goddess through his pet faun. One of Pompey's tactics was to arrange for the faun to be killed.

13. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Two more eastern Artemissus:

The first from Elymais:
    ElymaisW2.jpg

The second Graeco-Bactrian (Diodotos II):
    DiodotosIIArtemisWeb.jpg

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice variety, everyone!

What an unusual portrayal of Diana! I love the serious expression on A-Pi's face and the pensive pose of Diana. Also, it looks like she's holding a violin and bow :)

dlhill132, Alegandron, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  15. Alegandron

DIANA:

Campania CAPUA AE Uncia 216-211 Diana Boar Hannibal capital Italia.JPG
    Campania CAPUA AE Uncia 216-211 Diana Boar Hannibal occupation -plan to make capital of Italia

RR C Hosidius C F Geta 68 BCE Diana bow quiver Boar Hound spear Sear 346 Craw 407-2.jpg
    RR C Hosidius C F Geta 68 BCE Diana bow quiver Boar Hound spear Sear 346 Craw 407-2

RR Allius Bala 92 BCE AR Den Diana Biga Stags Sear 221 Craw336-1 Obv-Rev.jpg
    RR Allius Bala 92 BCE AR Den Diana Biga Stags Sear 221 Craw336-1

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Another great post, and great coins all.

Roman Collector likes this.
  17. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

To Roman Collector - that Hymn is Greek to me !

18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Nice write up RC!

dfdfdfdf_zpsf0krwssu.jpg

Faustina II, Augusta Traiana, Thrace, 161-175 AD

O: ΦAYCTEINA CEBACTH. R: AYΓOYCTHC TPAIANHC, Artemis huntress with hound, right hand reaching for an arrow in quiver at shoulder and holding bow in left. Moushmov 2982. 26x24 mm, 11.4g

19. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Some fascinating stories, about Artemis, in Greek mythology. But, suffice it here to say that she is goddess of hunting, of maidens and of the moon.

20. Meander

Meander Well-Known Member

Nice write-up Roman Collector. And nice coins everyone. I have a coin with Artemis present on both obverse and reverse.

PAMPHYLIA, Perge. Circa 260-230 BC. AR Tetradrachm. Wreathed head of Artemis right, bow and quiver over shoulder / Artemis standing left, holding wreath and scepter; to left, forepart of stag standing left, head right.
    Perge-tetradrachm.jpg

21. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

RC, excellent write-up and coin!

Doug

Draft saved Draft deleted