Artemis Tauropolis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

"What? Roman Collector posting Greek coins? Has the world gone mad?!" you ask?

Well, I have a couple of Greek coins lying around. These two are from different Macedonian cities but they have a couple of things in common--Artemis on the obverse and a bull on the reverse. At some point, I'd like to get a coin depicting Artemis Tauropolis actually riding a bull. It's one of many on my list.

Post your Artemis Tauropolis coins, bull-coins, etc--whatever you feel is relevant!

Artemis Tauropolos, in ancient Greece, was an epithet for the goddess Artemis, variously interpreted as "worshiped at Tauris", "pulled by a yoke of bulls", or "hunting bull goddess." A statue of Artemis "Tauropolos" in her temple at Brauron in Attica was supposed to have been brought from the Taurians by Iphigenia. The Tauropolia was the name of the festival of Artemis in Athens.

There was a Tauropolion, a temple in a temenos sacred to Artemis Tauropolos, in the north Aegean island of Doliche (now Ikaria).

Brauron-2.jpg
    The remains of the Temple of Artemis in Brauron.

And now on to my coins:

Amphipolis.jpg
    Macedonia, Amphipolis, ca. 187-131 BCE
    Æ 21.4 mm 7.57 gm
    Obv: Head of Artemis Tauropolis, right
    Rev: ΑΜΦΙΠΟ-ΛΙΤΩΝ, bull bounding right
    Refs: SNG ANS 113.7.83; Lindgren Europe 933; BMC 35; SNG Cop 72

Pella.jpg
    Macedon, Pella, ca. 187-131 BCE
    Æ 17.5 mm, 4.99 g
    Obv: Helmeted head of Artemis Parthenos, right
    Rev: ΠΕΛ-ΛΗΣ, bull grazing, right; monograms below and above.
    Refs: SNG Cop 266 ff.; BMC 97, 17 ff.; Moushmov 6453.

Smojo, Ajax, Jscraton and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Interesting coins and picture! Alas, I have no Artemis Tauropolis coins to share.

I wonder what Senex Caecilius would have to say about this Artemis? We haven't heard from him lately. ;)

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Senex Caecilius says -- about the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus:

Higgledy piggledy,
    Temple of Artemis,
    Wonder of wonders in
    Ephesus stood.
    Housed in its shrine was a
    Multimammiferous
    symbol of fruitfulness
    carved out of wood.

zumbly, Alegandron and TIF like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A classic :D

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

This coin shows a goddess riding a bull:

09201.jpg
    Cilicia, Soloi AE25 9.32g, 300-66 BC
    Obv: Winged gorgon head facing, snake ties below chin, two snakes facing at top of head, within irregular aegis with border, within circle of beads
    Rev: Aphrodite (wearing turreted cap?) riding a bull right; "SOLEWN" below, monogram above; owl before standing right
    Ref: Lindgren 1597
    ex Coloseum Coin Exchange, auction 121, August 2002, lot 201

Now, which goddess is on the reverse of this coin? Catalogs all say Aphrodite.
    The identification of the horse rider as Aphrodite is by Imhoof-Blumer. He merely calls her “Goddess” but believes the coin depicts the same goddess as Cypriot coins of King Stasioikos that are identified today as Aphrodite or Astarte. Imhoof-Blumer was certain this type does not depict Europa. He doesn’t mention traditionally turreted goddesses Cybele and Tyche. He doesn’t mention Athena, the goddess usually associated with owls. It’s worth noting that the Stasioikos coin Imhoof-Blumer was certain doesn’t depict Europa is described as depicting Europa on the web site for the Bank of Cyprus. A modern Cypriot coin copied the design of the Stasioikos coin to celebrate Cyprus’ entry into the European union.

NOT MY COIN:
    2euro.jpg 2euro2.jpg

Smojo, Jscraton, Bing and 7 others like this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Artemis Tauropolos on a Domitian bronze from Amphipolis. Her cult seems to have been popular there.

[​IMG]
    DOMITIAN
    Rare. AE20. 5.76g, 20.7mm. MACEDONIA, Amphipolis, circa AD 81-96. RPC 340 (3 examples). O: AYTO KЄCAP ΔOMITIANOC, laureate head right. R: AMΦIΠOΛITΩN, Artemis Tauropolos standing left, holding long torch and branch, shield at her feet.

Draft saved Draft deleted