Cult statue of Artemis in Neapolis, Samaria

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Neapolis (modern Nablus), built at the site of the ancient city of Sichar, is situated nearly in the center of Samaria between two hills, Ebal and Gerizim. It struck coins with Greek inscriptions in the Imperial Period from Titus to Maximinus, then with Latin inscriptions in the Imperial-Colonial Period from Philip I to Volusian.

In addition to a temple to Zeus on Mt. Gerizim, the city is believed to have been home to an Artemision, which contained a simulacrum of a goddess resembling the Ephesian Artemis, which you may see in the Ephesus Museum. The temple of Artemis in Ephesus was, as you undoubtedly know, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.

The goddess Artemis of Ephesus (Diana in Roman mythology), was not the quite the same as the one worshipped in Greece. The Greek Artemis was the goddess of hunting, and is often depicted with stags. The Artemis of Ephesus, however, was the product of syncretism between aspects of Artemis and of Cybele and was therefore worshipped as a goddess of fertility. She was often depicted as a female figure with multiple breasts, which were the symbols of fertility, from her waist to the shoulders, with bulls, deer, queen bees, eggs, and other fertility symbols everywhere. Note the presence of lions, which indicate syncretism with Cybele, and the presence of stags at her side, which are an aspect of Greek Artemis.

artemis-ephesus-museum.jpg

This coin depicts the cult statue in Neapolis' Artemision. The similarities to the cult-statue in Ephesus are unmistakable.

Faustina Jr Neapolis Artemis.jpg
    Faustina Jr., 147-175
    Roman provincial AE 20
    Samaria, Neapolis, AD 161/162
    5.32 gm; 19.8 mm
    Obv: ΦΑVCΤϵΙΝΑΝ CΕΒΑCΤΗΝ, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: ΦΛ ΝϵΑC ΠΟΛϵωC CVΡ ΠΑΛϵ, cultus-statue, resembling Ephesian Artemis, standing facing, flanked by stags; her head-dress surmounted by small temple; across field, ϵΤ-Ϟ (= year 90 of the Era of Neapolis = AD 161/162).

Refs: SGI 1801v; BMC 67-69

Although my coin has too much wear to appreciate it, the statue of the goddess in Neapolis, like that in Ephesus, was apparently adorned with multiple breasts and other symbols of fruitfulness, as is apparent on this specimen at Wildwinds (probably a higher denomination, as it is larger in diameter, weighs more, and has longer, unabbreviated inscriptions):

Faustina Jr Neapolis Artemis wildwinds.jpg

This "multimammiferous" feature of the cult statue led a poet with the pseudonym of Senex Caecilius to write this snide double dactyl:

The Artemision

Higgledy-Piggledy
    Temple of Artemis,
    Wonder of Wonders, in
    Ephesus stood;
    Housed in the shrine was a
    Multimammiferous
    Symbol of fruitfulness
    Carved out of wood.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Cool coins. A provincial with multimammiferous Artemis is on my hit list.

As for the poem, I had to look up "double dactyl". The definition had another three poetry terms which required looking up, and so did those. I might have to spend all morning on this :D.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Provincials can be some of the most interesting coins during this period. Too many Roman coins have the same reverses over and over again. Kinda like the Roman Republic issues with biga and quadrigas over and over again. Nice coin with interesting reverse for sure.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Both are lovely coins I would gladly take.

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

a cult statue of artemis is pretty high on mylist...those are both coins i love to have!

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I'd like one as well, great coins and post.

8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Well, umm that adds new meaning to "more than a handful is a waist."
    Cool coins!!

RAGNAROK and Roman Collector like this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Super awesome ... Roman Collector, congrats on scoring that fantastic OP-winner!!

Oh, and thanks for the sweet write-up (good coin-effort)

10. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Nice coin RC! Dated also.

Sometimes the cult statue of Artemis is pictured with supports(staffs?)
    normal_PergamonEphesosCommodus.jpg

faustinaAnkyra.jpg

Sometimes tresses hang to the ground from her veiled head.
    Miletus2.jpg

Andres2, Curtisimo, RAGNAROK and 17 others like this.
  11. Roman Collector

You have some great examples, @ancientone ! Thanks for showing them.

Thanks for the kind words, too. Yes, my coin has those staffs as well. I think they once attached to those upside-down-bowl-like things at the base of the statue.

artemis-ephesus-museum detail.jpg

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, ancientone => man, those are very sweet thread-additions!! (great c/m coin)

ancientone likes this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great type! I love the write-up and will now be on the lookout for further double-dactyls.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Interesting coin and good commentary on the reverse! These types of coins and posts are exactly what brought me to ancients.

The coins below are only related to yours in that I feel they may depict a cult statue of Ares that once stood:

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, AD 193-211
    AE28, 13.4g, 6h; Rabbath-Moba mint, CY 105 = AD 210/11.
    Obv.: AVT K L CEOVHΡOC; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Septimius Severus right, seen from behind.
    Rev.: ΡABBAΘMΩBΩN ΘEOC AΡHC; Ares standing facing on high base with pilasters, between two flaming altars, holding dagger and shield with spear. Date P-E across fields.

[​IMG]
    Caracalla, AD 198-217
    AE30, 15.2g, 6h; Rabbathmoba, Palestine, dated CY 105 = AD 210-211.
    Obv.: AVT K M AV ANTUNINOC, laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right.
    Rev.: PABBAΘ-MUBUN, Ares standing facing on square base decorated with pilasters, and holding sword, spear and round shield. Lighted torch to left and right. Date P-E across fields.

Curtisimo, RAGNAROK, icerain and 13 others like this.
  15. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Hadrian, Cistophorus IONIA Ephesus mint 132-34 AD Octastyle temple Artemis standing 789 P Hadrian RPC 1335A.jpg

Andres2, Curtisimo, RAGNAROK and 15 others like this.
  16. Roman Collector

Very cool!

Okidoki likes this.
  17. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

IONIA, Ephesus Hadrian Æ 18 Artemis
    452 P Hadrian BMC 229.JPG

Andres2, Curtisimo, RAGNAROK and 12 others like this.
  18. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Those are sweet Eric!

More cult Artemis!
    MaioniaMarcus.jpg
    Lydia, Maionia. Marcus Aurelius AE16. Artemis Ephesia
    Obv: M AVPЄΛIOC HPOC KAI, head right.
    Rev: MAIO NΩN, statue of Artemis Ephesia.
    BMC 39

b.jpg
    Phrygia, Tiberiopolis. AE18, Cult statue of Artemis Ephesia.
    Obv: IERA SYNKLHTOS / Bust of Senate r.
    Rev: Cult statue of Artemis Ephesia; stags at sides.
    BMC 17 S421

normal_PergaElagabalus.jpg
    Pamphylia, Perga. Elagabalus AE24. Artemis Pergaia
    Obv: Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    Rev: Distyle temple with fluted columns, and eagle in pediment; within, cult statue of Artemis Pergaia, on either side, sphinx on pedestal, above to l. crescent, to r. a star.
    AD. 218-222
    24mm., 8.5g.

tiberiusmen1.jpg
    Ionia, Ephesus. Tiberius Anepigraphic AE18 Cult Statue of Artemis
    Ionia, Ephesus Tiberius anepigraphic AE18
    The obverse is anepigraphic, showing the portrait of Tiberius.
    There are two rings of inscription on the reverse.
    They all have the name and title of the Archiereus Alexander in the outer ring,
    along with the ethnic E-Φ to either side, near the arms of the goddess.
    The crucial part of the legend is contained within the inner-ring of the reverse,
    and within the lower part of the struts or supports of the statue.
    This gives the additional name of a magistrate, of which six are presently known.

getamylasa2.jpg
    Caria, Mylasa. Geta AE38 Medallion. Zeus Labraundus
    CARIA, Mylasa. GETA. As Caesar, 198-209 AD. AE Medallion (22.95 gm; 38 mm). Bare-headed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Tetrastyle temple of Zeus Labraundus, cult statue of Artemis within, holding labrys and spear; tresses hanging from each hand. Round shield with two supporters in pediment.
    Akarca 90; BMC 38; Price & Trell 442.

Andres2, Curtisimo, RAGNAROK and 9 others like this.
  19. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Draft saved Draft deleted