Arise, All Ye Modern Collectors and Stem The Tide of The Onslaught of The Ancient Fellows

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

@frech001

You are right. I've found a few websites very helpful. I can't imagine it 30 years ago.

I really can't stand the people who come to numismatics looking to take advantage of collectors or whose sole interest is "flipping" a coin. Sadly I've seen a few come to these forums but I try to stay away from them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've said it before, but the main appeal with ancients, for me, other then history, is the rules attached to moderns don't really apply to ancients. They all have been cleaned and they are meant to be handled. Plus acquiring scarce to rare coins can be had pretty cheap since there is so many variety. It adds to the fun & appeal.

With moderns its all about slabs & MS this, don't handle it that. It's pretty boring. Silly "grade census".

I still buy modern world coins on a regular basis, all raw.

I think slabs took the fun out of collecting.

Oh, and what ruffles our feathers in our group?, slabbed ancients & slabbed ancient grading. So we do have our little quarrels. ;)

stevex6, Paddy54, afantiques and 2 others like this.
  4. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

These ancient collectors are indeed a different, elite group. I have dabbled in ancients over the years, but not too seriously. I would still love to complete a 12 Caesar portrait coin set, even though such a set in VF20 average grade range would cost $10,000+. Selling ancients is much more difficult than buying because the market for them is smaller.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not really, we buy/trade and even gift during x-mas from each other regularly here.

And my 12 caesars set was less then $2000 total.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

LOL ! Boy if that doesn't bring back memories :)

The dark side RULES green !! It's power is all encompassing and cannot be resisted. Once exposed to it all is lost, it will eat at you relentlessly, tempt you beyond belief, you will be drawn inexorably into it's grasp until you have lost all control and finally succumb, all too willingly, to its allure ! And once captured, there is no going back !!!

"another one down, another one down - another one bites the dust !"

That's how it used to be green, on a regular basis. Here's just a few old threads that will show you what I mean.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/did-i-do-any-good-on-this-box-of-coins.2941/#post-20849

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/i-did-it-bid-on-a-gold-coin-and-to-beat-that.7427/page-2#post-57460

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/clembo-buys-a-world-coin.39288/page-2#post-399349

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/is...foreign-collectors.219489/page-2#post-1601377

Voices from the past. The power of the dark side has grown, this thread is evidence of it. And it will continue to grow until all have given in. Why I might even start posting pics of my old collection again just to urge on the power of the beast ;)

7. Daniel Jones

Oops, sorry. I guess I still have some learning left to do here. Ha, ha!

8. Daniel Jones

Oh! By the way, if I can complete a 12 Caesar coin set for $2,000 in decent VF20 average condition, PLEASE tell me how!!!!! Actually, I have recently searched several sites online, but have not found any one offering enough decent Caesar coins.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wow! A lot of old faces I really miss......

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Bargain hunting, and if your looking to had harder emperors like Caligula or Claudius in silver, then I can see the $10,000 mark. I used copper in their place and my J. Caesar was a good deal.

Daniel Jones likes this.
  11. coolhandred

coolhandred Member

Ancient coins are fascinating and I always learn something new by following the ancient coin threads.

I really discover little Numismatic knowledge reading about modern coinage which is a contrived market.

12. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I repectfully disagree.

With the advent of the digital age, collecting Ancients is easier than ever. Here are two sites great for beginners (including myself):

http://wildwinds.com/coins/ric/i.html

http://www.tesorillo.com/aes/home.htm

In the past, researching Ancients required access to many obscure and expensive books. No longer. Today, there are many excellent resources on the Internet.

Luckily, there are also many recognized Ancient experts on this site who eagerly share their knowledge. I learn from them daily.

This site has allowed many Ancient collectors to finally "come out of the numismatic closet." I think, with time, their presence will only grow larger and louder.

guy

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
    stevex6, Jwt708 and green18 like this.
  13. This guy is a big fan of ancients...lol :D

image.jpg

rooman9, stevex6, Eng and 1 other person like this.
  14. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

If you didn't know what it was, how did you know what it was worth?

TIF likes this.
  15. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Absolutely Genius!

16. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I found it on eBay completed sales.

17. Daniel Jones

I can't help myself but to laugh every time I see your Nero denarius because of his goiter making his portrait look so funny

18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I keep coming back for the hierodules.

19. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

So many of our posts are in the "Let's see your newest acquisition" thread that not as many new threads start in the other areas. "Their" new threads likely generate more discussion due to the condition and wide array of types. It's a little harder to have a deep conversation about the latest Jefferson or blast white Morgan. Glad to see all areas generating a fair amount of activity.

stevex6 likes this.
  20. leaconcen

leaconcen learning constantly

Just wish they would add a medal token section. So lets let in a little light with medals to combat the ancient dark side. :singing:

Suppose that is just about as likely as Frank getting a like from Doug. :(

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted