I did it...bid on a gold coin...and to beat that...........

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Speedy, Jun 14, 2005.

1. trantor_3

trantor_3 New Member

Yup, you're absolutely right :)

or how about that blueish Gothic Crown? ;) (I think it's Chard's?)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sylvester

sylvester New Member

It was Chards, i dunno who's got it now exactly. I know GD could have had it.

And i also know the picture has turned up as an avatar on forums more times thani've had hot dinners. And Chard really doesn't like anyone using his pictures, understandable though. Especially when they turn up on ebay...

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well I got out bid...BUT I also mowed a yard today and have a few more $$ in my name so I might go up $1....but thats all!!!

Speedy

5. Cruzi

Cruzi Junior Member

The grip of Darkside Gold is very strong, it only takes one to be addicted forever !

The huge range of coins from the 19th century to moderns that can be obtained for little more than melt is staggering and to me, extremely rewarding.

I struggled agaisnt gold for a few years but once the noble metal hits your hand, it becomes very hard to collect anything else.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

7. sylvester

sylvester New Member

I've collected gold on and off, but i still seem to buy more silver overall though!

So the gold bug must not have got me quite as strong. It's the hammered bug i've caught... i can't look at modern coins these days without sighing. (Modern i.e anything after 1500).

8. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Avoid medieval gold like the plague then... if you get onto that stuff, you're doomed. Or your bank is. And even some of that is cheaper than alot of US gold of the 1920s and '30s.

9. Cruzi

Cruzi Junior Member

There is some very expensive coins from the period mentioned as well Sylvester, of that there is no doubt.

Looked at a few hammered gold coins at a recent auction and while they interested me, it was not enough to actually make me pay for them.

The progression back to obtain one gold coin from each monarch may happen, it may not. At this time the cut off point for me is the coinage reform of George III. Been working on the sovereigns for a few years now and there is a few years left till it is finished, give or take an upgrade or two. :)

10. Speedy

:eek: :eek: ....don't tell me things like that... :D :D

Speedy

11. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

This is for Speedy;
    Notice the underlined portion of the post above. This is what some people consiider as "modern". See the difference between this and 1950?

12. Speedy

You right...some do...not me!!!

Speedy

13. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

Now was it 1500 or 1453? ;)

That gold sure is perty!

14. Speedy

I won!!! :D :D :D

I'm happy with it too...I think I'll have to send PayPal so I can get it faster :D

Here are the photos in the auction....

GDJMPS...see what your posting of photos did :D :eek: :eek:

Speedy

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

ROTFL !!

and another one down ..... another one down - another one bites the dust !!! :D

Welcome to the yellow brick road of the darside my young friend ! There's no turning back now ;)

16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Beautiful coin Speedy. Personally, gold and silver is the main attraction to me in coins, regardless of age, size, or place of national origin. Clad just doesn't do it for me and I can't find anything that isn't gold or silver that I want to buy.

17. Speedy

Thanks...I know this is after 1964 and I had said that I wasn't going to collect coins after that date but I think as long as the coin is gold or silver it will be ok!!!...but nothing else!!! <VBG>

Thanks Cloudsweeper99

Speedy

18. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Funny that, my cut off date was also the George III recoinage, except i was working up to 1816, i very rarely went beyond the 1816 line.

I at one time focused exclusively on 1662-1799 period. I bought some gold from this period because i really dig the Guineas, George II are about my favourites of that batch. But my main area of interest was in sixpences.

But since i switched to hammered i seem to be gravitating towards 871-1016 and 1135-1427. (Silver pennies thereof)

19. Speedy

Well I'm glad I won this coin....today I bid on a PF Franklin....a 1956 PF66CAMEO and lost it...I should have put it a higher bid but didn't think about it....

BUT the guy that sold this gold coin I won hasn't emailed....I emailed and asked about PayPal but he doesn't seem to want his money to fast....it would have been there yesterday....oh well....

Speedy

20. Speedy

It came today!!!---wow is all I can say....it looks just like the photos above.

I had never seen one in the real goverment packing with all of the papers and such...this one comes in a nice little leather case!

Speedy

21. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

I have been bitten by the world gold as well,

It started out innocent, just one piece ( gold 1/20 panda) then i nabbed some more old gold, etc. etc...

Now i am up to about 12 gold coins. my latest is a gold coin from peru 1919 ( its a little guy )

gold really is addictive!

Draft saved Draft deleted