Ancient Coin Animals by Alphabet

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Aug 27, 2015.

1. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

I'll see what other unusual animals I can find, but, as in my earlier thread, here are three octopi:
    One from Akragas (on the reverse):
    [​IMG]
    Two from Tarentum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

Tarentum again with 3 different animals:
    D is for DOLPHIN
    P is for PRAWN
    B is for BIRD (on reverse, with wings tied together)
    [​IMG]

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

A-nut, I LOVE those coins!!!!

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

S is for Squid?
    Copy of Himyarite Unit Rev.jpg
    Squid.jpg

This coin is from the south-western end of the Arabian penninsula. :) It was minted in the first Century B.C. and the first A.D. Century. I'm only messing with you about the squid. It's obviously a bull's head & once you see the bull, you can't go back to the squid.

Himyarite Unit Collage.jpg
    ARABIA, Southern Saba'
    AR Unit
    (Light Drachm)
    ca. 50 B.C. – A.D. 50

2.15 gms, 14 to 15.4 mm
    Obv: Simple diademed head left with
    symbols in fields. Pellet within
    crescent at top, beaded boarder.
    Lower 50% of beading is off flan.
    Rev: Bucranium (Bull’s head) facing
    with symbols in fields
    Grade: Near Mint, lustrous and properly
    conserved. Slightly off center on a
    small diameter planchet.
    Other: No listing in my limited Sear books for this Southern Saba / Himyarite coin. SNG.ANS.1516. The biblical kingdom of ‘Sheba’ (ca. 1200 BC) was the ancient Semitic civilization of Saba’ in Southern Arabia (modern day Yemen). The ancient Saba’ Kingdom fell after civil war resulting in the rise of the late Himyarite Kingdom. Ex Pegasi, from Allen Berman October 2013.

Ich habe Spaß heute in Deutschland. (Coin hunting tomorrow).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I was going to add it to the Totally Looks Like thread but forgot it's already there.

Good one :D

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Naw, I think you should start that thread...and do some of the cool cartoons, animations, and characters that you make! Love your storyboards! LOL :D

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

In another thread, @Collect89 thinks I need to add my FROG Uncia since no one had one before from the Ancient period...

F: FROG...

upload_2016-9-2_19-55-0.png
    Luceria
    AES Grave
    Anonymous 217-215 BCE
    Uncia 7.35g
    Obv: Frog, seen from above
    Rev: Corn Ear, pellet, retrograd L
    Thurlow & Vecchi 285

furryfrog02, RAGNAROK, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I have an aquila
    new nero ric 68 combined.jpg

zumbly, chrsmat71, Mikey Zee and 5 others like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Well since this thread has been revived, here's a bear. Steve previously posted a modern bear and I posted an indistinguishable bear on a Septimius Severus Circus Maximius denarius, but this one's clearly a bear (yeah yeah yeah... it looks more like a friendly dog)

The coin apparently celebrates a successful bear hunt.

[​IMG]
    MYSIA, Hadrianothera. Hadrian
    After CE 123
    Æ 16 mm, 2.30 gm
    Obv: AΔPIANOC AYΓOYCTOC; bare head right
    Rev: AΔPIANOΘHPITN; head of she-bear left
    Ref: AMNG 565; SNG France 1091; RPC 1629. Rare.

Hadrian was an avid hunter. From Cassius Dio's Roman History, part 69:

"He also constructed theatres and held games as he travelled about from city to city, dispensing, however, with the imperial trappings; for he never used these outside Rome. And yet he did not see his native land, though he showed it great honour and bestowed many splendid gifts upon it. He is said to have been enthusiastic about hunting. Indeed, he broke his collar-bone at this pursuit and came near getting his leg maimed; and to a city that he founded in Mysia he gave the name of Hadrianotherae. However, he did not neglect any of the duties of his office because of this pastime. Some light is thrown upon his passion for hunting by what he did for his steed Borysthenes, which was his favourite horse for the chase; when the animal died, he prepared a tomb for him, set up a slab and placed an inscription upon it. 31 It is not strange, then, that upon the death of Plotina, the woman through whom he had secured the imperial office because of her love for him, he honoured her exceedingly, wearing black for nine days, erecting a temple to her and composing some hymns in her memory. ... He was so skilful in the chase that he once brought down a huge boar with a single blow."

11. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Wow! That's some coin!

Anyway, I never saw this thread (I think it pre-dates my membership). Anyway, just remember, there is a difference between a squid, an octopus, and a cuttlefish!

stevex6 and TIF like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> we already captured aquila on page-1

:rolleyes:

Funny though, because we didn't have any Cuttlefish or Squid examples (good call, Ken) => let's see 'em!!

13. Sherwood forest

Sherwood forest New Member

7Calbrey likes this.
  14. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Checkout Vcoins for retail costs.

7Calbrey likes this.
  15. Sherwood forest

im sorry only new at this and not sure what to do or say

16. Sherwood forest

thankyou

17. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

@Sherwood forest welcome to the forum. Lurk around and read the posts, join in as much as you want to. If you want to post something of yours, or even just ask a question, start a new thread.

Sherwood forest and Mikey Zee like this.
  18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Welcome, @Sherwood forest :)

Here are some useful links:

CNG's archives. Good for seeing what has sold in the last couple of decades; useful for determining what a given coin might be worth now)

ACsearch. A larger archive of previously auctioned coins. To see what the coins sold for you have to be a paid subscriber, but it is still a useful database even if you aren't a paid subscriber

Vcoins. An online conglomeration of individual ancient coin dealers/companies. At any given point in time there is a vast array of ancient coins for sale here and it is a reputable marketplace.

21. Sherwood forest

thankyou i found it !!

Draft saved Draft deleted