Antigonos I Monophthalmos: Drachm: Mouse or Rabbit?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by iamtiberius, Jul 30, 2015.

?

Mouse or Rabbit

1. Mouse

15.4%
  2. Rabbit

84.6%
  1. A beautiful new addition of mine; probably the best looking Macedonian Drachm in my collection, to date. I particularly (and with many of my coins) appreciate the light toning in the valleys. You'll notice a bronze hue with this particular piece. The photo was taken in direct sunlight at 13:00 in the afternoon. I typically don't get such results without an overcast, but in this case, was pleasantly surprised.

The auction house described the critter in the left field as a mouse. I clearly see a rabbit, but maybe there's a big eared species in the Macedonian region I don't know about. What do you guys think, mouse or rabbit? In either event, it's a coin that Steve can appreciate.

Antigonus Drachm 75 percent.png

Antigonos I Monophthalmos. As Strategos of Asia, 320-306/5 BC, or king, 306/5-301 BC. AR Drachm (16.5mm, 4.18 g, 8h). In the name and types of Alexander III. Lampsakos mint. Struck circa 310-301 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / AΛEΞAN∆POY Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; mouse in left field, ME monogram below throne. Price 1423; ADM II Series XIV

2015-07-26 15.13.07.jpg

Post your rodents.

-Mike

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    randygeki, Eng, Ancientnoob and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You are most certainly correct about this.

Amazing and stunning coin. I see a rabbit; none of my coins have any rodents that I know about. Congratulations on this wonderful acquisition.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

super cool coin. rabbit :cat:

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It looks rabbitish to me-- or maybe a jerboa? Monophthalmos was strategos of Asia, and there are several types of jerboas in Asia (and north Africa).

long-eared jerboa:
    [​IMG]

Edited to add that this coin was on my watch list. I'm sad that I forgot to bid but happy to see it here!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Eng, Jwt708, stevex6 and 1 other person like this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that there's a jerboa!

and that's a great lookin' coin, whatever that critter is.

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Funny ... I went immediately towards a chinchilla ...

[​IMG]

... but I must admit that your jerboa is a dead-ringer!!

:rolleyes:

TIF likes this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I voted rabbit but never heard of a jerboa until now.

9. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Mouse, wabbit, great lookin' coin, i think it may be a jackalope.:)

Jackalopepc-250.jpg Manitoba wabbit!!

10. I'm going to have to look at other examples. See if we can classify this thing. Anyone know a biologist/zoologist? ha

Draft saved Draft deleted