2017 Silver(!) Krugerrand

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by COCollector, Oct 17, 2016.

1. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I got an email earlier today from MCM. Silver official release date is 12/5 but no pricing yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddddd likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

seems like a gimmick. is the silver from South African mines?

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I bet it is. But what's the difference? It is an official bullion coin from South Africa like the American Silver Eagle is from the US. Silver is silver.

5. stoster38

stoster38 Member

How is it a gimmick? Seems like any other bullion coin except it's the first silver version. Hopefully they'll be more after this year.

sio2ga likes this.
  6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

It's a pretty cool idea but these coins will be overpriced for what they are and I doubt with a mintage that high anyone buying from the authorized distributor is ever going to recoup that premium when selling. Imo if you must have one for your collection fine but I wouldn't consider these more than extra expensive bullion.

FryDaddyJr and ddddd like this.
  7. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

"gimmick"

Blissskr likes this.
  8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

So far it all looks pretty upfront to me. Perhaps you could shepherd me into the light by explaining exactly what makes it a "gimmick?"

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    sio2ga likes this.
  9. Blissskr

You don't find it odd how in this very thread representatives from MCM came along and just happened to post. I wouldn't be surprised if they worked together with the mint planning for this coin to even be made. Although that's business and there's nothing inherently wrong with that. But like many other 'unique' offerings from MCM and other sellers anyone expecting to buy this coin at the inflated price it will be offered at and ever expect to have the premium their paying recouped is foolish. With a million mintage this coin is expensive bullion no matter how hard they market it as being a 'highly' collectible numismatic offering. If you want one for collection because you like the coin certainly buy the coin. But I hope no ones buying one of these thinking they'll be able to increase that initial investment and we often have a lot of newer members and lurkers who may not know any better and fall for the marketing gimmick.

10. stoster38

stoster38 Member

How can you say it's expensive when prices haven't been announced? Do I think the coin will cost around spot price? No. I'm waiting to see how much the cost will be & then make my decision. Labeling the coin as a gimmick is a bit premature in my opinion.

sio2ga likes this.
  11. Blissskr

Go take a look at any of MCM's 'unique' offerings and notice the premiums. Again anyone who falls for the marketing gimmick on this coin isn't likely ever going to recoup that premium but if you like the coin and want it for your collection then by all means get one.

stoster38 likes this.
  12. longnine009

It doesn't matter what they charge. If you don't like the product, the mintage, or price you know where the door is. A gimmick, to me, is trickery or deception. I have not seen it.

sio2ga likes this.
  13. longnine009

1) Personally, I think it will be highly collectible. The gold Krugerrand IMO, is an icon. The silver Krugerrand commemmorates it.

2) It won't be known if a one million mintage is too much until the popularity or lack of it becomes obvious.

3) As for "newer members and lurkers who may not know any better," sorry but altruism is not really my strong point. But not to worry. There is clearly a huge over-hang of it in the bullion room.

I'll stick with Hewitt:
    "There is no Santa Claus in Numismatics" Lee F. Hewitt

And I'll probably get a silver KR.

moneycostingmemoney and sio2ga like this.
  14. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

i predict finding these in the melt bucket

15. Deadline

Deadline Active Member

They are already up for sale on the SAM website R600.00 or $42.40 in USD. Three times the price of spot? I think they have lost touch with reality. I cant think of any current production silver coin in the same category that is anywhere near that price.

16. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I hope they don't cost that much when the coins are offered in the US

17. Deadline

Deadline Active Member

Personally, I wont go above $4-5 over spot. There are much better deals to be had. If it ends up being those crazy over inflated prices they will loose a lot of potential buyers. There is also someone pre-selling these on EBay for $95 each.

18. stoster38

stoster38 Member

I assumed that because these are "boutique" bullion coins, I got that term from Coin World, that there would be a premium over spot. If it's at $40 plus per coin I'll probably pass on it [emoji22]

19. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

I believe they're targeting the similarly-priced Uncirculated "collector-version" ASE: http://catalog.usmint.gov/american-...rculated-coin-16EG.html?cgid=product-schedule

That is, it's not a bullion coin: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/2017-silver-krugerrand.285264/page-3#post-2569795

sio2ga likes this.
  20. stoster38

stoster38 Member

21. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Since it's not a bullion coin, maybe this thread belongs in the "World Coins" forum.

Mods?

Draft saved Draft deleted