2017 Silver(!) Krugerrand

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by COCollector, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but... they look like reverse proofs...?

2017_krug.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Looks that way to me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Still should have stuck with half a mil. Pfft.

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Kelsey Kay Howard

Kelsey Kay Howard New Member

Hi there!

I work for MCM and just want to clear up the confusion about the mintage.

A lot of information was out on the web prior to any announcement of these coins. All of that information was pure speculation as the mintage was never 500,000. The only place you can ensure you receive accurate and verified information is on our site. We will be publishing regular updates and when you sign up to be notified (link below), we will alert you as soon as new information is released.

Hope this helps and please let me know if I can answer anything else!

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/silver-krugerrand/

asheland likes this.
  6. MCM

MCM New Member

Hi there, the original release from AgAu news had incorrect information. You can sign-up for MCM updates, all containing verified information.

7. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

8. Kelsey Kay Howard

Hi COCollector!

I'd be happy to answer your question.

The 2017 Silver Krugerrand is "premium uncirculated" as you stated. This is a better finish than a Brilliant Uncirculated (BU), which is why the image of the coin may appear like a reverse proof.

I would definitely consider this a collector piece - or numismatic like you said. So, no, this is not a bullion coin. :)

9. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Kelsey, thanks for the quick reply.

Also, I'm hoping you'll offer a nice presentation box -- in time for holiday gifts.

Kelsey Kay Howard likes this.
  10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have no problem with a higher mintage. They are fashioned after, and marketed as a silver version of the famous gold Krugerrand, which was always bullion. I understand from a collectors view that a lower mintage would be more valuable money wise, but i'm in no matter the mintage because it's cool and I love Kruggerands. I think that is the big market.

11. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Actually, with the success of the Kruggerand, I'm surprised they haven't been competing with the ASE and the Maple Leaf in the silver market.

12. Kelsey Kay Howard

We haven't released product offering yet but as soon as we do the people on our notification list will find out first! :)

13. Kelsey Kay Howard

The sole emphasis was always on gold due to the large gold mines in South Africa. It is alsocurrently ranked #5 in worldwide gold production. It's definitely exciting to have the opportunity to work with them to produce the silver counterpart to the gold Krugerrand!

14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Hi Kelsey,
    I signed up and I appreciate the info. With that said, I would appreciate the info more if the mintage was less than 1 million. Sorry about that, I'm not trying to bring you down but a million is truly excessive. In my humble opinion, if you mint less on your first coin sales, like 50 to 75, 000, it will create demand. No problem to a great company like MCM, I mean the company won't go broke or anything but if you posted a poll on any coin forum, you could easily find out that 1 million is truly excessive. jmho

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  15. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Who is selling them ??

16. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Well it's not like MCM decided the mintage. Direct any complaints to the South African government lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Kelsey Kay Howard

MCM is the official North American distributor for these coins.

18. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

These things will go fast I think, despite the outrageous mintage. It will be my first Krugerrand.

19. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Does anyone other than me think that a normal proof would look better than a reverse?

ddddd and Nathan401 like this.
  20. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree! In many cases the proof looks nicer. The 2013 reverse proof Buffalo was one of the few coins where I liked the reverse proof look. The Australian Lunar coins (which also have a reverse proof appearance) look nice but the proof version is just as good if not better in my opinion.

21. ddddd

ddddd Member

That's fair; MCM can't control the actions of others (although AgAuNews tends to have great info and write-ups).

I concur with many others though that 1,000,000 is too many for a non-US premium coin (even US coins with that high of a mintage don't do too well...i.e. Proof Eagles/Burnished Eagles are high mintage collector coins that mainly sell for issue price or less in the aftermarket).

Add in a $40+ price tag per coin and you might have a recipe for disaster. Compare that to the Australian 1 oz lunar series coins: 300,000 mintage, bullion coin with a finish that resembles a reverse proof, a unique design every year, and it comes in a capsule...all for under $30 (closer to $25).

Draft saved Draft deleted