1988-D Cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ronnie Darnell, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Ronnie Darnell

Ronnie Darnell New Member

Hello. This cent is riddled with what looks like welded acne. Also there is a peculiar abrasion above the "IN" that looks as if the lettering was drug into place. My question is "Is the "acne" something that happens at the mint?"

I've seen images of what is called plating blisters but I am unsure that this is what I am looking at. I found a 1982 cent, that I am certain is plating blisters, which I have included images of as well. Might be a comparison of mild acne versus extreme acne. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Environmental exposure damage.
    The plating bubbles burst (copper plating comprimised) and the inner zinc is rotting.
    Not a mint error.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That's circulation wear. I call it circulation Smooshines damage :yack:

I don't think drugs of any kind were used :confused:

5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Can I say more than what @paddyman98 indicated? No.

6. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Hydrozincite - when the substrate zinc is exposed to moisture in the air. Coins lost in cupholders in cars are particularly susceptible. The condensation from a cup on a summer day pool at the bottom where folks toss spare change and the alternating between wet and dry creates optimal conditions. Just a small pinhole is all that is needed to start the process. When the zinc converts into zincite, it creates the crusty coin and erodes the substrate. Zits and pits if you will.

7. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

hey Ronnie Darnell welcome to CT. paddyman98 and Kevin Mader summed everything up with their posts above mine. ive got a 1982 Lincoln penny that resembles yours almost exactly. you will see a lot of these types of pennies in your coin collecting. keep your coins for future reference. good examples. good luck to ya man

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted