Zumbly's Year-End Favorites List : #10 - #1

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Dec 31, 2018.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I posted the first part of my year-end favorites list two weeks ago and was waiting for one last coin to arrive to post the second part. I was just about resigned to not being able to make this post until next year when the package arrived on my doorstep today (thank you, almighty postal gods!). So, without further ado, here's my Top 10 coins of 2018...

SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS. PONTUS, Herakleopolis. AE28.
    Herakles & the Cretan Bull.
    10 Septimius Severus - Pontos Herakleopolis 3081.jpg
    It's highly unlikely I'll ever have a full set of coins depicting all 12 Labours of Herakles, but I'm still going to try for the ones I don't have, as long as I can afford them. In any case, this nice, hefty Roman Provincial was right up my alley. It depicts Herakles's 7th Labour, the capture of the Cretan Bull. It has a great portrait of Septimius and despite the wear, I really like the statuesque figures of Herakles and the Bull on the reverse.

MARCUS AURELIUS. EGYPT, Alexandria. Billon Tetradrachm.
    Ex Staffieri Collection.
    09 Marcus Aurelius - Tetradrachm Zeus Staffieri Dattari 2500.jpg
    The portraits of Marcus Aurelius when he was Caesar have always been amongst my favorites in the Roman series. They seem to not only capture his youthful good looks, but also the essence of a young philosopher's enthusiasm and idealism. When he later became emperor, the troubled times that he and the Empire faced seemed to really take their toll and etch the world and war-weariness into his portraits. This was my only win from January's Triton XXI sale of the Staffieri Collection coins of Roman Egypt. It was a tough auction and I was happy to score even one coin from it.

JULIUS CAESAR. AR Denarius.
    Elephant trampling snake.
    08 RR Julius Caesar - Elephant Ex Kelly 2987.jpg
    I'm sure my finally getting a Julius Caesar elephant denarius has nothing at all to do with @Severus Alexander's exemplary writeup on the subject in this year's Coin Imperator Tournament, but I'm gonna blame him anyway. :D Seriously, he did call it "a numismatic Darth Vader: the denarius that destroyed the Republic and sowed the seeds of Empire." How could I not get myself one of those?? Anyway, mine has the elephant in the cute n' dumpy style. The previous collector's tag calls it "the later more imitative style". Either way, it has really grown on me!

IBERIA, Ebusus.
    AE17. Bes, God of Good Times. Ex Stevex6 Collection.
    07 Ebusus.jpg
    One of my favorite stevex6 coins of all time. On the obverse is really the funniest ever depiction of a deity - we call him Captain Caveman here, but he was known back then as the Egyptian god Bes. The Phoenicians brought the cult of Bes to the western Mediterranean island of Ebusus when they colonized it in the mid 7th century BC. Bes was the god of feasting, dance, and carnal pleasure, and today at Ebusus (the present-day party island of Ibiza), his following clearly remains strong. This coin is not only one of the best examples of the type known, it really is for me the quintessential Stevex6 winner. As Steve would say... good times! :happy:

ROMAN REPUBLIC. AR Denarius.
    M. Junius Brutus. Ex Michael Kelly Collection.
    RR Brutus - Libertas Holed Ex Kelly 2986.jpg
    I ended up buying two of this same type this year. Rightfully, both of them ought to be in my year-end Top 20, but in deciding not to show duplicates on the list, I really just made my life difficult because I love both of them almost equally. Many will likely prefer the other one I bought, which isn't damaged and is in slightly better grade, but for me, the holes driven into this one just added a unique appeal to what was already (and still is) a beautiful coin of great historic value.

CRETE, Knossos-Gortyna Alliance coinage. AE19.
    Labyrinth of Knossos.
    06 Crete Gortyna-Knossos - AE Europa Labyrinth 2909.jpg
    The story of the Minotaur was a childhood favorite of mine, and scoring a coin of ancient Crete depicting the legendary Labyrinth of Knossos was always a long term goal. This example came from a Frank Robinson auction, where I e-mailed my bid to him exactly 22 minutes after he sent out the link to the catalogue. Having to wait the next 36 days to find out if I would be the winner was no fun, but the eventual victory sure was sweet. Next on my want list : a coin depicting the legendary Labyrinth of Overlook. :D

ATTICA, Athens. AR Tetradrachm.
    Attica Athens - Tetradrachm 2018 Top.jpg

As the year was coming to an end, I decided I'd try to take advantage of the hoard of these currently out there to jump onto the ol' Athens Owl bandwagon. It's not that I never felt like a proper collector of Greek coins without one of them, but they're just so iconic and historically significant that I, uhm... never really felt like a proper collector of Greek coins without one of them? :shy: Ok, fine, why even try to deny it. And while I'm in a confessional mood - she just arrived today, she's stunning and plainly out of my league, and yes, she'll be sleeping next to me tonight... as I wear my cheap tourist t-shirt from Athens. :shame:
    Attica Athens - Tet on T-shirt.jpg

VALERIAN. PHOENICIA, Tyre. AE27.
    The Founding of Thebes by Cadmus.
    03 Valerian - Phoenicia Tyre - Thebes Cadmus.jpg
    I didn't know this rare type existed until I saw it come up in a CNG auction, and then I just really really wanted it. The Provincial coins of Tyre have some of the most interesting reverses, drawing from the city's long history and fascinating myths. This one depicts the founding of Thebes by Cadmus, a prince of Tyre. Cadmus journeyed from Tyre to Greece in search of his sister, Europa, who had been abducted and taken to Crete by Zeus. On reaching Greece, he taught the Greeks writing and the alphabet, and later, also founded the city of Thebes. Going after this coin in the auction was absolutely nerve-wracking, because I knew that if I didn't win it, it might be years before I'd get another shot at the type. Thanks must go to @TIF and Clio for letting me get away with this one. :happy:

LOKRIS, Opuntii. AR Stater.
    Demeter / Ajax the Lesser.
    02 Lokris Opuntii Stater.jpg
    I wouldn't have won this coin except that I made the absent-minded mistake of coming up with a max bid for it in USD, and then entering the same figure in EUR without making the necessary adjustment for currency difference. After I received the coin, I decided it was a happy mistake. I really love the contrast of feminine beauty on the obverse and the masculine, martial pose of Ajax on the reverse. The artistic rendering of Demeter's head, the graceful proportions of Ajax's body, and the intricate details on the inside of his shield also really add to the coin's appeal for me. I won this coin in early March, and for almost 8 months, no other coin I bought came close to topping it as my favorite of the year, until the next one came along...

Multatuli, Ajax, Carausius and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

PTOLEMAIC KINGDOM, Kleopatra VII Thea Neotera. AE Diobol - 80 Drachmai.
    Cleopatra VII - AE 80 Drachmai 2911.jpg

My favorite coin of 2018... which right off the bat has its obvious issues. I might have waited longer and saved up more to try for a Cleopatra VII portrait coin in higher grade and with better surfaces, but to be honest, it's hard for me to ever imagine owning one that I'd be happier with. The portrait has good relief, is rendered in the naturalistic style I prefer, and the earthy colours and sandy patina strike me as perfect for the issue. So many of these Cleo bronzes of Alexandria have been tooled or otherwise messed with that looking for an honest coin honestly portraying the face of one of the most famous women in history has felt like navigating a minefield. This wasn't the priciest coin I bought this year (the three preceding ones were all more expensive) and certainly not the prettiest, but it really was a dream score in more ways than one, and certainly the year's most satisfying.

And that ties up the loose ends for my coin year... I look forward to more good coins and great company here on CT in 2019. Happy New Year, everyone!

ycon, eparch, Multatuli and 31 others like this.
  4. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Fantastic end to your list Z! #1 and #2 are utterly outstanding!

zumbly likes this.
  5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Great coins, zumbly. May your 2019 be equally fruitful.

zumbly likes this.
  6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I love # 7 and 5....

zumbly likes this.
  7. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Great list Zumbly, my fav. #9 and certainly #2

zumbly likes this.
  8. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

That Demeter portrait is stunning! great coins

zumbly likes this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice list and additions. I like #9 & #7 best.

zumbly likes this.
  10. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Your coins are scrumptious, as always, Zumbly!! Thanks for showing them and may the new year bring oodles of more beautiful ancient coins!

zumbly and Kasia like this.
  11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I remember ignoring that Cleo assuming it would go sky-high because of the fantastic portrait... doubly sweet to score your #1 for a song! Congratulations again on that awesome coin. Other than that, I especially love your #2 (coin of the year!), #4 (coin of the year!), your other #6 ;) (coin of the year!), Captain Caveman (great bull too!), and #9 (what a portrait!). 10, 5, and 2 are oh so very zumbly, and I'm proud to have maybe helped speed up your acquisition of a very nice Caesar elephant. Now you need to get a non-dumpy one though. :D

caesar elephant.jpg

What a year!!!

12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A wonderful selection @zumbly. That Brutus has a lot of charm. I can see why it made your list. Your #1 would be mine as well. There is so much competition for these when they appear that I have unable to grab one...yet.

zumbly likes this.
  13. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Awesome additions @zumbly I am really jealous on your coins and I wonder if I will ever be such a good picker as you. The Lokris stater looks amazing but that Cleopatra bronze is a fine rarity. But I can't say no to that beautiful Knossos and Athens tetra as well. What a great additions this year, congrats.

EDIT: By the way Zumbly happy new year, I think that is happening anytime soon there in Indonesia.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    zumbly likes this.
  14. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Great stuff, the Marcus tet is a beauty

zumbly likes this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

As I scanned down your list of images, I thought, this has to be my favorite until I saw the next image. It is impossible for me to pick out just one. They are all great coins. Congratulations.

LaCointessa and zumbly like this.
  16. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Awesome, my favorite two are that Brutus and Ajax the Lesser!

zumbly likes this.
  17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow wow wow @zumbly !!! Everyone of those beauties I would REALLY like to add to mine! I am boarding a plane, so I will come back to reread and further GAPE at your treasures! Nice!

zumbly likes this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wow #4. I liked thee elephants too.

zumbly likes this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

All are worthy. I prefer #5 and #7 but would love to have the set.

zumbly likes this.
  20. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

#1 and #4 are my favorites for the obvious reason, but,
    WOW that Lokris stator at #2 is a jaw dropper.
    All are some great coins that just makes your mouth water. Congrats @Zumnly

zumbly likes this.
  21. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic ten zumbly, your Athens Tet is just about perfect I can see why you wanted to wait, and your Crete Knossos are very hard to come by with such good rendering of the Labyrinth as yours. I will never forget my visit to Knossos in 2015, one of my pics below. 20151018_090138.jpg

Multatuli, Ryro, zumbly and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted