Zilveren Dukaat (Silver Ducat) 1660 - Overijssel

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by AussieCollector, Sep 20, 2019.

1. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

I think you're right that they're just saying daalder for ease of use. The problem is, however, that daalder is a generic term (which essentially means dollar). There are Leeuwendaalders, Rijksdaalders, and Kruisrijksdaalders. For example, how would you differentiate between a West Friesland Leeuwendaalder and a West Friesland Rijksdaalder if you drop the specific term before daalder?

But even if we decided the descriptor isn't necessary, that it is not a 1/2 Ducaton. The Ducaton was the Silver Rider.

And yes, that's 6 Stuivers, from West Friesland. And what a fantastic price you go. I wish I could pick one of those up for $7.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

ahh yes your right. i'll change it. if you don't have already, this book has many images of the coins we are discussing. its slightly disorganized in my opinion but has an amazing amount of info. pretty much every single silver crown. my book has 628 pages. its quite amazing to page through.
    [​IMG]

AussieCollector likes this.
  4. AussieCollector

Thanks for the recommendation. I have Van Gelder's book on Dutch coins, along with a few Dutch catalogs, but I don't have that one!

5. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

6. AussieCollector

Draft saved Draft deleted