World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a nice Filipino Peso !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Glad you guys like those pesos. I have a bunch of these Dutch crown size silver coins, so here goes. 1854 Netherlands 2 1/2 gulden 1854 NL 2 1-2 g obv.JPG 1854 NL 2 1-2 g rev.JPG

talerman, longshot, PaddyB and 3 others like this.
  4. Hookman

Yeah, I really like the 2 1/2 Gulden coins. I have quite a few, mostly moderns. I do want to get one of the older ones like yours but so far I've been outbid.

5. coin_nut

1863 Netherlands 2 1/2 gulden. I think this one is a fake. 1863 NL 2 1-2 g obv.JPG 1863 NL 2 1-2 g rev.JPG

PaddyB likes this.
  6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Ecu de Six Livres 1793 D Lyon full picture - 1.jpg Ecu de Six Livres Lille 1793 OBV1 N - 1.jpg Ecu de Six Livres Lille 1793 REV1 N - 1.jpg

7. Hookman

That is a nice coin. I had not seen that one before. Now I have to find one for myself.

Gandy Dancer likes this.
  8. coin_nut

1866 Netherlands 2 1/2 gulden 1866 NL 2 1-2 g obv.JPG 1866 NL 2 1-2 g rev.JPG

Hookman and talerman like this.
  9. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Oooooooooo, great thread :D

Crown sized silver coins, roughly corresponding with the Age of Sail (~1500s to mid-1800s) are my (not so secret) love.

Here are some from my collection. Not the finest out there, but plenty of history. Most look better in the hand.

Potosi 8 Reales, (1)666, Pillar and Waves type
    [​IMG]
    Potosi 8 Reales, (1)704 Pillar and Waves type
    [​IMG]

Mexico 8 Reales, (171)0, Shield Type
    [​IMG]

Mexico 8 Reales, 1752
    [​IMG]

Mexico 8 Reales, 1821
    upload_2019-4-12_19-58-20.png

Holland Leeuwendaalder, 157(6)
    upload_2019-4-12_19-53-28.png

West Friesland Rijksdaalder, 1621
    upload_2019-4-12_19-50-24.png

French Ecu, 1726
    upload_2019-4-12_19-56-15.png

Attached Files:

10. coin_nut

Nice stash of silver there, lot of history...thanks for posting them!

11. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

12. coin_nut

1880 S US one dollar 1880 S US 1 d obv.JPG 1880 S US 1 d rev.JPG

PaddyB likes this.
  13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Perhaps not a true crown at 35.5 mm, but since it fits in an I-size Air-Tite it gets lumped in with my other crowns.

[​IMG]

14. dirty_brian

I used to own this but never really liked it. maybe someday i'll buy a nicer one.
    [​IMG]

princeofwaldo, PaddyB and coin_nut like this.
  15. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

My wife and daughter are visiting family, and I've been spending my evenings skimming all the auction sites and placing bids here and there where a deal might be had. Unfortunately, I have actually won a few things. I'm going to be in a bit of trouble when she gets home! I will have to prostrate myself again before the eBay masses with my humblest wares to make up for this damage.

Check out this circulated beauty that just arrived. She's dinged up around the edges, but she's got personality. This is my favorite all-time depiction of Liberty on any coin. I've also managed to win a high-grade version of the key-date 1906, which is on the way (and depicted in my new avatar). The one displayed here I won for less than melt! And yes, it's genuine. That happens once in a blue moon.

brazil19072000ro.jpg brazil19072000rr.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  16. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

I *also* got this 1888 version of the same denomination (Brazil 2000 reis). But this coin is larger (37mm) and features the last emperor of Brazil, in whom I took an interest after reading one of my favorite novels a few years ago, Mario Vargas Llosa's The War of the End of the World.

brazil18882000ro.jpg brazil18882000rr.jpg

sonlarson, PaddyB and coin_nut like this.
  17. coin_nut

1935 Canada one dollar 1935 CA 1 d obv.JPG 1935 CA 1 d rev.JPG

princeofwaldo and PaddyB like this.
  18. dirty_brian

I love those big Brazilian coins. here are 2 others I have
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

One of my favorite silver crowns. Many collectors are not aware that the 1935 issue was a commemorative, and the 1936 a regular issue. At first glance the two different dated coins look identical, -similar (though not identical) portrait and nearly identical reverse. The biggest difference is the obverse legend, which varies considerably between the two years. Both coins are about equal in availability, with the 1936 issue becoming the more scare variety in high grade.

20. coin_nut

Since you mention it, here is a 1936 Canada dollar. I guess I did not know there was a difference. 1936 CA 1 d obv.JPG 1936 CA 1 d rev.JPG

PaddyB likes this.
  21. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

A very nicely matched pair for wear and appearance. I think the 1936 obverse design is superior to the commemorative issue 1935 coin. The legend font in particular is much more regal looking on the latter issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted