Your thoughts on Natural Gold Nuggets

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by coppermania, May 3, 2010.

1. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

When it comes to owning gold, I like it all. I like bullion K rands, Eagles, Maples and bars as an investment. I like antique numismatic gold for the double whammy of intrinsic value and numismatic value combined. But I really like natural gold specimens to spice up the collection / inventory. There is something about a nugget that interests me more than a piece of dolled up bullion. If there is host rock present I like it even more and there are some really cool ore specimens out there that can make a guy drool. It must be the "one of a kind" aspect that is the appeal for me.

I'm asking the forum if anybody else feels this way. Is this a wise alternative to a mint product? There can be heavy premiums for some of this stuff and would like your opinions. I see these things for sale at coin shows and wonder if I'm the only person that buys it. Pitfalls? Thanks, Matt

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

I think if they came with a stamp on them showing weight & weather it was 12 14 or 24kt,more people would buy them:D I like the nugget look tho

4. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

i also am a fan of nuggets But its hard to trust somebody these days and im not a gold expert. :-(

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I know it is beating a wounded horse, but I certainly wouldn't buy any off of ebay. It is much easier to fake nuggets than to AT a coin. Look in a community guide and see if you have a rock/mineral/geology club close by. Almost all will have someone interested in gold and know honest sources of true nuggets. However, as you have found, there is a price premium compared on the "gauge" ( size) of the nuggets.I have seen gold nuggets at about 1/4" sell for 30-50% premium, which is emphasized when most are about 84% or less ( 18-20 Karat), gold. Gold dust is more reasonable, but doesn't have the pizzazz.

And if you want gold in quartz matrix ( my favorite) not very available, be prepared to pay big time.

6. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

Do they still have assay offices where you can take in raw gold? It would be nice if you could turn in panned gold for bullion coins.

7. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

As far as investment goes, nuggets are fine as long as you have an honest guy to sell it to when it comes time to cash in. There are so many jewelers and other firms with every excuse under the sun to give you far less than you have coming. The shop I deal with has a fair and honest way of determining the purity of gold and silver items, and then giving you a fair price.

8. RGJohn777

RGJohn777 Junior Member

The market is thin for them in many respects. I just sold 1.95 ounces ( troy) of placer gold to another party locally at 90% of spot. We were both happy. 12 grams of matchead sized stuff, 2 nuggets just under a pennyweight each, one 7/10'ths, one 3/10'ths and the remainder dust/flakes.
    No doubt those 2 bigger nugs will eventually sell for a premium but I can't be standing around the creek bank all summer waiting for the right person to come along. The guy I sold to has a 'pan gold here' biz and he will retail what I have wholesaled him. Same like every other business in the world really.

9. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

nugget 1.jpg Ok guys, its' been a while since this thread was started, interesting points for sure.

nugget 2.jpg my point with these pics it that i would rather own one of these specimens all day over say a K rand. And now with higher than normal gold spot prices, the former premiums on nuggets have evaporated to almost nothing. I like the ones with a little matrix locked inside. JMO

Attached Files:

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Like Jim mentioned, specimen gold value isn't based on it's gold content. Therefore it's hard to place an investment value on such things. I own a few pieces of specimen gold and other minerals just because I like them.
    Guy

11. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

My local coin shop has a nice electronic karat tester. When tested, most show at 20- 22 K and some higher, so the actual gold content is pretty easy to find. But 80% pure is the easy rule to be safe. Matt

Draft saved Draft deleted