Your Mission if you choose to accept it....American Girl Mining Rounds.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by rte, Sep 16, 2017.

1. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I've searched the Interwebs and all I come up with it Dolls.
    ANYone have any info on these rounds?
    Its a local GOLD mine in my area from back in the day.
    I can find little information on the mine, But no information on the silver rounds.
    The first picture is the basic reverse of all the rounds I have seen.
    American Girl Mining reverse.jpg

I'm not sure how many rounds there are in a set???
    I have 3 different types
    American Girl Mining 1.jpg
    American Girl Mining 2.jpg
    American Girl Mining 3.jpg

fretboard and mpcusa like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Count me in, and i accept !

4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Mine Info
    State: California
    County: Imperial
    Elevation: 492 Feet (150 Meters)
    Primary Mineral: Gold
    Lat, Long: 32.8558, -114.78720

American Girl MRDS details
    Primary: American Girl
    Secondary: Padre y Madre Mine
    Secondary: American Boy Mine
    Secondary: Oro Cruz Mine
    Secondary: Cargo Muchacho Mine

Commodity
    Primary: Gold
    Secondary: Silver
    Tertiary: Barium-Barite
    Tertiary: Mercury
    Tertiary: Zinc
    Tertiary: Lead
    Tertiary: Copper
    Tertiary: Antimony

County: Imperial
    District: Cargo Muchacho District

Structure
    Description: American Girl Shear Zone
    Description: San Andreas Fault, Chocolate Mountain Thrust Fault

Materials
    Ore: Gold
    Ore: Pyrite
    Gangue: Quartz
    Gangue: Gneiss
    Gangue: Schist

Rocks
    Name: Gneiss
    Role: Host
    Description: Quartzofeldspathic
    Age Type: Host Rock
    Age Young: Jurassic

The Cargo Muchacho Mountains were first described by Spanish explorer Father Francisco Garcis who identified rich surface ores in 1776. By 1780, Spanish colonists had arrived and were working the placer deposits in Jackson Gulch and oxidized surface ores in Madre Valley (Van Wormer and Newland, 1996. This is believed to be the first gold mining in California. The district name, Cargo Muchacho, or Loaded Boy, refers to the legend that two Mexican boys returning to camp, arrived with their shirts laden with gold ore (Clark, 1970). American miners became interested in the area after the Mexican War of 1848. Gold was reportedly rediscovered in 1862 by members of a wagon train. The Cargo Muchacho Mining District was established that year, but was redefined several times in later years (Van Wormer and Newland, 1996). In the 1860s and 1870s small scale prospecting and mining flourished. The most important mines at this time were the Padre and Madre claims in the Madre Valley. The Padre y Madre deposits were first formally recorded in 1875 (Van Wormer and Newland, 1996). The completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad between Los Angeles and Yuma in 1877, brought an influx of American miners and additional strikes in the Madre Valley followed. Most of the early workings took place prior to 1890. The early Padre y Madre workings included several vertical shafts, the deepest of which was 325 feet. The extend of stoping is unknown but reportedly extended several hundred feet along strike. In 1880, a strike was made three miles further north in Gold Rock Canyon (later Tumco Wash). A small rush ensued and in 1884, the miners formally established the Ogilby Mining District and christened their settlement Gold Rock Camp (Van Warner and Newland, 1996). The principal claims were the Golden Cross, Golden Queen, and Golden Crown. The Gold Rock discoveries accelerated interest in the area. Rich ore samples were reported to grade as much as $9,000 to $12,000 a ton. In 1892, the Golden cross alone had produced $24,374 in gold from its small scale operation in which the ore was still hauled by wagon to Ogilby station and shipped by rail to the El Rio Mill. By the late 1880s, the rich surface ores were nearly depleted and many of the miners sold out, lacking the capital for underground mining. In April, 1893, having consolidated the Gold Rock claims and being adequately capitalized, William Hedges and Thomas Fuller formed the Golden Cross Mining and Milling Company. By October of the same year, the company had built a 20 stamp mill and was processing $15/ton ore from the Golden Queen shaft. The following year they installed a 12 mile pipeline to supply water from the Colorado River. By 1894, in anticipation of developing the Golden Cross and Golden Crown shafts, the company had added another 20 stamps and a Huntington Mill. The new mill crushed 100 tons a day and produced $1,000/day.

The American Girl Project involves three separate but adjacent mines operated by the American Girl Mining Joint Venture (AGMJV) during the 1980s and 1990s in the Cargo Muchacho Mountains of southeastern Imperial County. The individual mines include the American Girl, Padre y Madre, and Oro Cruz mines, all of which experienced significant historical mining during the 1800s.

Operations at all three mines were completed in late 1996, reclaimed in 1999, and are currently undergoing post-reclamation monitoring. The mines are within the historic Cargo Muchacho mining district, the oldest mining district in California, which includes those areas formerly known as the Ogilby, and Tumco/Hedges mining districts (Clark, 1970). The American Girl Mine was the largest and consisted of four interconnected open pits and four underground mining operations involving multiple orebodies.

American girl is a doll company that was founded in 1986 by Pleasant Company and became a subsidiary of Mattel in 1998. The American Girl Mine has been around a lot longer.

http://minelistings.com/mines-for-sale/american-girl

Marketed just like other mining companies. Hope this helps.

6. mpcusa

Back in the day we used to make almost weekly visits to the American Girl store in
    Down town Chicago my daughter loved it, dropped many a benjerman there..LOL
    Who new they actually had a gold mine to ! will keep my eye out for these :)

7. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Good read and Well Done, Didn't see anything about the silver rounds?

I know a guy that worked at the mine as an EMT and he didn't have a clue that such a thing existed.
    He did however have a GOLD coin that he got from the mine as a bonus one year.

8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Think their cool. Didnt you just show these. Just in case you show them again. I like them

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A number of mining companies mine, refine and produce their own ingots or bullion coins. American girl is one of them, Sunshine Mining in Idaho is another.

10. mpcusa

Do you know if American Girl produces any 10 OZ bars ?

11. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

12. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I agree it was a very interesting read. While it didn't say anything about producing silver rounds, it does say silver was a secondary commodity.

13. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Yes it was a Rocking Gold Mine :D
    Well that's what a couple of the workers said, Must have been an inside joke.
    I need to track down Stevie and get a look at that gold coin he said he had.
    I Had another 4 or 5 rounds as duplicates and sold them off to a family friend, that's Before I couldn't find hide nor hair of them in my searching.:rolleyes:

14. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Doubtful, as I've only seen these few rounds.

15. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

I inventoried these mines for wildlife values about 10 years ago. None of the mines discussed here were in operation at that time. The only commercial mine in operation in that area is the Mesquite Mine about 20 miles to the north. There was some exploration happening though.

The Cargo Muchachos were mostly used by snowbirds to camp for free and the OHV community.

Also, it's hotter than s*%t in the summer.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  16. mpcusa

I think if they did the 1 OZ coins why not bars ?

17. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Digging this back up from the depths.
    I talked to Steve the other day and he said send him some pictures and He would look into it maybe shed some information on the subject.
    I'll try and get him to send a picture of the gold piece he has.

Thanks Steve:D
    Im sure if he does a quick Google search he will come up with this post.

Draft saved Draft deleted