Your current silver favorites?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by coinaline, Dec 22, 2020.

1. coinaline

coinaline Active Member

Another thread got me wondering what everyone's current favorite type of silver investments/acquisitions are. And how they may have changed over time.

I just got back into coin collecting after a few decade hiatus. I am a cynic by nature, so silver seemed like the best option for me to feel safer in case the SHTF as other coins might not go as far in a bad situation. I hope we never find out!

To start, I myself am currently enjoying "junk silver" like pre-1964 dimes and quarters for their affordability (and now I understand why they were impossible to find in circulation as a kid) and modern US commemorative dollars because sometimes they can be had closer to melt and they spice it up with a little variety. Proof silver is something I'm partial to because, if you buy online, you can at least count on a previous collector not damaging it too much (although I've been surprised :)). It seems easier than trying to grade from a bad photo.

How about you (if you are comfortable sharing)?

manny9655 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Any Silver would do me well . I'm not an Investor though, just a mild mannered collector of coins from the 1600's to the present . JMO

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    coinaline likes this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I been hoarding junk silver for fifty years. Around the turn of the century I became interested in ASE's so I started accumulating rolls of them. It wasn't until recently that things started getting out of hand and I chose to go trade some silver for gold. What I found was the ASE's retained more value than the junk silver.

Now because I am a coin collector first, I am more interested in the history attached to the old silver coins. If the interest is in retaining value, I would have to say that ASE's are the way to go.

coinaline and Penny Luster like this.
  5. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

I like a variety. It mostly depends on what comes into my LCS. Some weeks it's silver bars then the next week it modern commens. I try to concentrate on my type set but can't pass up a good deal at spot on most anything. I have both a collection and a hoard.

coinaline and Penny Luster like this.
  6. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Junk Silver and ASE are my liking.... the part that I like is the negotiation on the price.. usually try to buy below or around spot unless it has numismatic value which would be uncirculated or Proof coin, sometimes value is determined by the scarcity of the coin demand, supply, the usual stuff. With Silver going in the right direction if your planning on unloading.... going to sell some and buy gold.... I keep saying that..

7. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I like junk silver half dollars, and bullion coins that feature a topic I'm interested in, such as the Serbian Nikola Tesla series and the Austrian Vienna Philharmonic series. I like other stuff too but I like those best.

coinaline likes this.
  8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

American Silver Eagles! ;) Although I've bought different silver coins inthe past, Pandas, Libertads and others, the only ones that I'll buy today are ASE's or junk silver. IMHO the liquidity factor is smoother and better priced than the others!

harrync and coinaline like this.
  9. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude New Member

ASE’s and 10 oz bars for me.

masterswimmer and coinaline like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Silver is silver so any form is good.

11. coinaline

coinaline Active Member

ASEs are beautiful! I don't have any yet.

I also like Kennedy and Franklin halves because you can get the occasional clinking sounds without feeling too guilty ;).

runninghorse1 likes this.
  12. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Same here, along with the junk silver our local CoinStar machine coughs up every now and then. ;)

13. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Although I have a lot of silver coins, I really like the 5-oz pucks the best.

14. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Junk silver and ASEs — although I haven’t purchased any for years.

harrync likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I put away a lot of coin silver. About all I do now are Silver Eagles. It makes the math easy.

harrync likes this.
  16. Molon Labe

Molon Labe Active Member

I collect all silver. My favorite would be ASE. I like the shiny look and will store them in capsules. Everything else gets tossed in a bag.

17. emdems

emdems New Member

ASE's mainly - more so in 2021 with the coming different releases.

18. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I'm not doing silver at this time.
    Just working on large cents.

But a Trade Dollar set is lurking in the back of my mind.
    Only have one currently; it's for my Type Set.
    I want to do VF/XF (no chops) but they are hard to find.
    Most are AU/MS.

19. skm

skm Member

My favorite silver: 1964 JFKs

20. runninghorse1

runninghorse1 Member

US constitutional silver coins from my LCS are about all I can afford right now. Maybe $2 to $3 face value at a time. I've been a coin collector for around 50 years, but I do have a few dozen ASE and Canadian Maple Leaf bullion coins put away for some future trade / barter situation.

21. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

Lately I've been buying quite a few 1 oz silver 'art rounds'. There are so many awesome designs out there. The competition is plentiful, that's for sure.
    MHO, I think silver is gonna rise this coming year, hopefully, but I'm just doing a little 'wishful thinking'. Never hurts. No one knows what it will do.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted