You think gold will surpass $2,000 by December 2020?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fretboard, Apr 19, 2020.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

What do you think? :D We're almost all on lock down per this Covid-19 and gold has been hovering over $1,700 an ounce. As you can see by the prices on ebay the auctions are paying pretty well. Let me ask my question a different way. What month do you think gold will hit $2,000 an ounce??? All comments are good, as this is only being posted for discussion. :cigar:

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Depends how long this crisis will last. It does seem likely, with the intense panic still going on, but I don't want to speculate.
    Whenever some uncertainty is in the air, people run to buy gold. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits $1,750 by the end of this month.

Paul M. and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

This is only one scenario of many: As investors return to stocks, which they will, they will reduce their gold holdings, which have served as a parking place for cash, thus putting downward pressure on gold prices.

5. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

As long as it doesn't dip below $1100/ounce I'm OK!
    Stocks, goldbugs, silverbugs, etc. be what may.
    J.T.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Another scenario: No matter what the stock market does, a boost of inflation resulting from the trillions pumped in by Washington puts upward pressure on gold prices.

7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I could see it above $2,000 even before then. Maybe in a few weeks/months. But certainly before the spring coin shows in 2021.

8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Maybe...you could also have some inflationary or deflationary forces that lead to a nation or two going on a gold-buying spree.

Santinidollar likes this.
  9. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Well that all depends. The virus stimulus will add to inflation and gold responds by going higher. Once this crisis is over money will return to the stock market.

It all depends on what takes place and when.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I think I see it, but not for a bit. I think the whole world needs to recover, people have some disposable income again, see how many trillions the USA printed, and weaken the USD. I am thinking 2022 or so.

Not sure enough of the scenario to pay today's premiums though. Maybe if premiums deflate I might buy a little, but I bought quite a bit the last few years when no one wanted it and prices were depressed. I always want to buy "on sale" when assets are unattractive to others. Tell you what, though, get me silver prices near $50 again and I am lightening my safe of its overflowing contents. :) Need more room for coins and not junk silver.

12. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes but it's a bit more than uncertainty. Our world as we knew it is going to be completely different and most stocks are going to take awhile to breathe confidence again. Financially speaking, we are in a world of hurt and everything is going to take awhile, that is a true breeding ground for buying gold. May be sad because of all the sickness and death but it is what it is.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There’s a good chance it’s not going to weaken from that, one thing people need to remember is that most (if not all) of the modernized world is doing the same right now. Cancels each other out when everyone does it

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Paul M. likes this.
  14. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

why what happens if it dips? your 3 measly ounces take a hit?

15. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

16. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hi FryDaddy,
    If 25.577 ounces takes a hit!
    Not a huge Ouch, but an ouch all the same.
    J.T.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  17. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Right now the USD is the safe haven in the world. Once the panic subsides, I think many positions will move out of the USD to other currencies, weakening it, leading to a rise in PM which is priced in USD. To us it would appear a price increase, just like to us we wonder why it hasn't gone up much now, when in fact to others in other currencies it has gone up significantly.

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The all time high was 9 years ago $1,917.90.
    So it will have to pass a number of resistance points before it goes to $2000.
    When and if it passes $2000 it will be more because of inflation than any
    consumer or manufacturing demand. We don't really need gold for anything.
    Since matter can neither be created nor destroyed, old gold can continue to be melted down to make "new" gold. Jewelry, coins, scrap.
    Besides, they are still mining like crazy and digging up more and more gold. The price "should" go down. (If there wasn't inflation).

19. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

You keep junk silver in a safe? Wow, you must either have a lot of space in that safe or a lot of junk silver - or some combination of the two. Heck, mine is just sitting in a drawer. Somebody wants it that badly. well good luck to ya'. At $240 a pound I think I can risk a bit of it scattered about. I bought a couple of rolls of old silver dimes the other day because I saw a comment that made a lot of sense - at $1 and some change each a few if them would make convenient barter if I ever need a loaf of bread or a dozen eggs. I sure wouldn't bother to put those in my safe deposit box. Haha.

20. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

So, question here. Isn't the demand in Asia and India a major factor in world gold prices - more so than US demand? I thought that was the case. Selling it on occasion myself I notice buyers are often Indian or Asian and they intend to send it home to their families. Maybe that's only empirical evidence - but I thought I originally learned that somewhere else. Yes?

21. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

no one wants your stinking silver if there's a food shortage.

Draft saved Draft deleted