You don't own your government issued coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Westtexasbound, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

You are simply the "bearer". This has to be why the mint puts a denomination on the coin.

seems like the government could ban possession and force sell back

with this in mind do you avoid ASE and concentrate on rounds or bars?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. enochian

enochian silver eater

never thaught about that

4. your statement is why i do not spend money buying coins.
    Why buy anything that you never will have a title to showing ownership?
    When younger i bought an item from a friend that later proved to be stolen.
    Later it was removed from my home because i could not produce a paper showing i bought it.
    This is true with anything you own.
    I am like all here i never keep any records
    of items i buy but if you cant show you bought it even if its not stolen the law says you dont own it.
    Because the goverment makes our money i am unsure if a pay check stub would be a proof of money you have.

We can all point out we own our car our home but if and when our goverment deems its theirs you lose it.
    Ahh great America where we get the right to say out right we own it but in real you own nothing and never will.
    Our goverment owns you and all your wealth.

5. C Jay

C Jay Member

6. You may find this interesting.

http://www.americanfederal.com/coins/
    Think your $20 St. Gaudens gold coins are safe from Confiscation? This particular topic is used as a scare tactic to sell you over-priced coins that do absolutely nothing to protect you and only serves to let the dealer confiscate your money. If you are concerned about confiscation, there are simple, low cost ways of protecting yourself. You will be surprised which coins are safe…. US Eagles and Buffaloes are actually safe from confiscation. Most dealers will claim just the opposite, but the legislation that created them clearly states they are “numismatic” coins.
    The Gold Bullion Coin Act of 1985 (Public Law 99-185 of Dec. 17, 1985, 99 Statutes At Large 1177, 31 USC 5101, 5111, 5112) provided for minting the American Eagle gold coins. Section 2(3) provides, “For purposes of section 5132(a)(1) of [Title 31], all coins minted under this subsection shall be considered to be numismatic items.”
    The Liberty Coin Act of July 9, 1985 (Public Law 99-61 of 7/9/85, 99 Stat. 115, 31 USC 5112) authorized the one ounce silver coin commonly called the Silver American Eagle. At section 202(g) it contains identical language.
    The American Eagle gold coins and the silver American Eagles are “numismatic” coins. (31 USC Section 5132(a)(1) requires the Secretary of the Treasury to apply proceeds from selling “numismatic” items to cost of making them.)
    In addition, certain dealers maintain that coins with a premium of 15% over bullion value are also defined as numismatic. This too is false. In 1984, this was proposed but never adopted.
    So if numismatic coins are exempt, the new Eagles and Buffaloes are exempt too since they are specifically defined that way.
    I maintain that $20 St. Gaudens and Liberties are NOT exempt.

Mike Drop likes this.
  7. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

just custodian....

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

this is a very silly post.

9. Danr

Danr Numismatist

not worried bout it

10. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Borderline ridiculous in my opinion, but that's what makes CT (and the internet in general) so much fun.

11. Treashunt

The denomination is there to establish the coin as a coin, and as legal tender.

Nothing more, nothing less.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Legally it has long been ruled that coins are private property. Any government does not have any claim over the coin after it has left their ownership.

Yes, there are things like treasury rules saying you cannot melt cents and nickels, but ASAIK that has not been challenged in court. Usually the government just says crud like that to scare people until the coins leave the marketplace and displacement of the remaining coins will not cause an economic hardship. At this point copper cents could be melted and not affect us any longer since most cents in circulation are zinc.

13. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

You know that, and I know that... but.. does the OP know that?

14. Judging by his other threads he is quite serious.

15. Treashunt

so sad

16. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

I'd be less worried about your coins and more worried about your civil liberties, privacy and guns.

17. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

Sorry about the wording.
    It was more of a question and a concern. Now I am interested in diversification over different issuers.

You guys are taking it way too seriously and personal.

I am new to silver and like most of you the reason I want PM is a distrust of economic environment and big government. Asking this question is a natural extension of my whole reason to buy silver

18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

As long as this stays away from further political comments ( I count 2), I will leave the thread open , but this is last warning, another and it will be closed and the poster will be infracted. Thanks and stay in good humor.

19. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Remember the Lone Ranger showed us there is another reason to have silver on hand.

20. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Possession is 9/10ths of the law. ;)

21. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

I just started buying these last week and after reading this topic, it means that I am going to lose them all?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted