You cannot ship coins via UPS: Read.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by doug444, Oct 9, 2014.

1. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

This is an excerpt from the UPS Tariff published July 7, 2014. Don't bother to argue with me, as I will ignore "arguments" to the contrary. Argue with UPS.

UPS Terms and Conditions

3.1 Items Not Accepted for Transportation

No service shall be rendered in the transportation of any of the prohibited articles listed in the applicable Service Guide or the Terms. UPS does not accept for transportation, and shippers are prohibited from shipping:

Articles of unusual value, which shall be deemed to include, but are not limited to:

• Any package with an actual value of more than $50,000;

• Any pallet with an actual value of more than $100,000;

Coins, cash, currency, bonds, postage stamps, money orders, and negotiable
    instruments (such as drafts, bills of exchange, or promissory notes, but excluding checks);

• Unset precious stones, and industrial diamonds;

Any article that contains more than 50 percent by weight of gold or platinum, or any combination thereof in raw form including, but not limited to, bullion, bars, or scraps of these metals.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I guess that means that IF you do ship it. They will not be responsible for non-delivery or monetary losses.

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The mint shipped my Gold Kennedy Half Dollar (.9999 fine) via UPS.
    The mint ships everything I buy from them via UPS.
    Is the mint exempt from UPS rules?

5. rickmp

So why did you post this if you were not looking for an argument?

6. doug444

So that CT-er's can investigate on their own. I saw it, I posted it, case closed. Do whatever you please. When you post, do you want an argument, or do you want to contribute something useful?? And the Mint may very well have a special deal with UPS, I have no idea.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The USPS also has regs that say you can't mail coins. Until you read the exceptions ;)

8. rickmp

It's been discussed here on CT many, many times before. Seems like you're just trying to stir another hornets nest and then run like . . .

That's Detecto's job here.

9. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

10. doug444

I don't want arguments WITH ME about UPS. But that's what I got. My last post, good luck and great buys.

11. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

So we won the argument!

12. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

UPS also claims to not ship bullion, defined by:
    Any article that contains more than 50 percent by weight of gold or platinum, or any combination thereof in raw form including, but not limited to, bullion, bars, or scraps of these metals.

Beyond that, i think numismatic collectibles stop being defined as "coins" at the moment they are no longer negotiable. Shippers will present the argument of from Brewster's Millions that stamps, coins and notes are always negotiable, but I'm pretty sure that if it goes to arbitration, an unbiased arbiter would see that a quarter purchased for $12,000 wouldn't be taken to a store to purchase a pack of gum.

13. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Are you arguing?

The OP said it was pointless to argue "with him".

So stop presenting arguments to the contrary.

(stupid me)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  14. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

You can ship coins, you just aren't really supposed to. I would also not recommend it. I had a seller ship a gold coin via UPS once to me, and it was stolen by them. They bought insurance, but UPS would not honor it since the rules state no coins, etc. They lost the coin and the money. Every claim I've filed with usps eventually (months later) got paid.

15. charlie123

charlie123 Well-Known Member

No problemo with FedEx. I think their insurance limit is $1,000.

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Old news Doug. It's been like that , for like, forever......

Oh, and I did work for them for a spell (30 years). I was one of the few who made it out without any back problems.......:)

17. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Yeah Ken, but I hear that your mind may be slipping, instead of your back. :>)

green18 likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

LOL !

Now if there was ever something I was gonna "like" - that would be it ;)

19. Thelionwarrior

Thelionwarrior Active Member

Usps is holding one of my coin shipments hostage for some reason and wont tell me where it is. It came from Spain and arrived on the 1st of this month at a local office. All they will tell me is there is a problem with it. But wont tell me exactly what yet.

20. Thelionwarrior

Thelionwarrior Active Member

Oh and their Internet site wont allow me to file a report on it. It keeps saying that the tracking # has a closed case on it and to call their customer service. Really frustrating to say the least.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Gonna get ya Dave.......:)

Draft saved Draft deleted