Shipping Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jallengomez, Dec 10, 2009.

1. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Okay...Today I went to the UPS Store to ship a box of Lincoln Professional Life. I was asked what the box contained and I said, "coins." The girl then said I don't think we can ship those but let me check with a manager. The manager was asked, and she said "no we are not allowed to ship coins, not even the post-office will ship coins, it's not allowed. It's kind of like the laws regarding fire-arms." I was perplexed, but this was the first time I had tried to ship an item of any size. All of my shipments in the past I just stuck in the mail with first class postage. So my question is, did she have any clue what she was talking about?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chip

chip Novice collector

If that were true the mint would have no way of getting coins out to collectors, It was probably too heavy and they were slacking off. I have shipped large orders of coins, the best way is to use a flat rate shipping box from the post office, use lots and lots of tape. I have not used ups, so I cannot answer if they have some weird rule, but I highly doubt they do.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

There is a new CT member Registered Mail who was a long time Postal employee. Check out their posts for experience and send them a message regarding this story. Would be interesting to get that members 2¢ on this.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Technically speaking, they are not allowed to ship these items. Its not in their tariff.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Tariff! we don't need no stinking Tariff!

7. green18

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You mean that UPS cannot ship coins, but FEDEX and USPS can. That makes no sense.

BTW, my coins from the mint were delivered by USPS and shipped via FEDEX. I am positive they are both allow to ship coins!

9. nightowl

nightowl Member

Unless I'm wrong, there is a stipulation in the Patriot act that prohibits mailing cash even domestically. I think the UPS employee is confusing sending some wheaties to a numismatist with sending stacks of hundreds to a terrorist.

Nightowl

10. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I think the clause I have heard is something about sending money...insured.
    I also just write down that I'm mailing numismatic items, or round metal disk. If they ask again, tell it it is none of their ear wax. Unless it is one of the banned items then they really shouldn't be asking. The other way is to make friends with the people there so that they know you - I have gotten to the place where I can walk up, put the box on the counter and say: "no, no, no, no, and cheapest way"! LOL - they know what I mean, and sometimes the lady will ask....do you want to add insureance just to see what I'll say!

I've shipped thousands of dollars worth the coins, and the only ones I haven't been able to insure were current issues....because they say they aren't collectorable and therefor can't be insured. I haven't read into the postal code, but I think I can trust the person who told me that.

Speedy

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am pretty sure you are mistaking about mailing cash. I find nothing on the net about it.

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Life would be much easier if you guys would learn how to lie. Tell them you don't know what is in it and you can't call your wife to ask because you were supposed to ship it last week. That will be the end of the inquisition and the start of your package's journey. If you are not old enough to be married, tell them your boss told you to ship it.

13. jallengomez

Seemed wacky to me. I could understand if maybe UPS has a policy against it, but for her to so adamantly tell me that NOBODY shipped coins caught me off guard. She even told me that I might check with one of the local pawn shops because they had "shady ways of shipping banned items."

14. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

The USPS doesn't like it when you say coins or cash. You need to say "collectibles." And then there is no problem. If they ask you to be more specific, tell them none of their business!!!!

15. nightowl

nightowl Member

I know it's illegal to send cash out of the US. I have a dealer in Australia with whom I have dealt, who only deals in cash. Never had a problem, but you're not supposed to do it.

Nightowl

16. jallengomez

Oooh...I'm tellin' on you!

17. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

As stated above.....I always say "collectables" when asked.

bob

18. green18

This from UPS's tariff.....

F. Definition of Articles of Unusual Value Which Are Not Accepted By UPS For
    Transportation​
    1. Shippers are prohibited from shipping articles of unusual value via UPS.
    Articles of unusual value shall be deemed to include, but are not limited to:
    a. Any package with an actual value of more than $50,000;
    b. Coins, cash, currency, bonds, postage stamps, negotiable instruments
    (such as drafts, bills of exchange, or promissory notes, but excluding​
    checks), and money orders;

Years ago I worked the customer counter at a UPS facility and this policy was upheld to the letter. That's not to say folks didn't bend the truth a little.

Funny thing though.....back in the eighties we used to deliver stuff to private homes directly from the US Mint. Also, my UHR double eagle was delivered to me by UPS just this past March (remember all the hoopla over drivers leaving these packages on customers doorsteps?). They must get around this rule by classifying these items as collectibles, or something like that.

19. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I'm no terrorist, but you can ship your stacks of $100s to me anyway.

20. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

Tulving's web site says they ship UPS, and their products include bullion coins. Apparently UPS sometimes ships things that they say they don't accept for shipping.

21. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Does the US Mint know that? As already noted the US Mint sends coins out every day via FedX, USPS and I've already had UPS. And it's really no secrete either. Once had a FedX driver hand me a box and say here are your coins. Yesterday just got more Uncirculated sets from the US Mint via USPS. Guess they haven't heard they are not supposed to either.
    When sending coins I've never mentioned what is inside. They always ask the approximate value but never have asked what is inside. I've always wondered if I said be carefull, there is explosives in there, what they would say. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted