You bought GRADED bullion?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Detecto92, Dec 22, 2012.

1. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

Maybe this is as good a place as any to ask this question: How much stock do any of you place in the "values" assigned by PCGS and NGC for the coins they've slabbed? I've bought a number of slabbed coins where my purchase price is below what those two TPGs say the coin is worth. Should I believe that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Tough call. Personally I like to have my sets like this all have the same packaging. I've also found that you can find the burnished eagles at less than the mint price if you hold off. I've paid about $10 over spot for the more common dates and more for the 08's, the 06 is a harder find also....good luck in what ever you choose to do.

4. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

For this collector it's the one with the OGP. I would pay more for one in OGP versus a slabbed one. My buy price for slabbed ASE's is a buck or two over melt, same as raw bullion.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't drink the Kool aid........

6. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Green18 is right, those price guides are only a guide, and if you look at who is publishing them, you'll see they have a motive to make them look like they're attracting strong money. I'm not saying you can't or won't be able to buy or sell at those prices, but they're a guide at best, and a sales pitch at worst.

7. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It was fun reading this thread. I haven't had so much fun since watching the full second season of Downing Abbey on my last return flight from India. As I originally come from Maine, am seriously sacastic, and spent much time in the deep south, it is also interesting to see the reaction of folks not use to sarcasm responding to sarcasm. Although us sarcastic folks think we're funny, everyone else thinks its a little mean. I'm still getting it everyday from my wife despite the fact that she is a little sarcastic herself. Back to coins, I've bought graded bullion when it is at or near the price of ungraded bullion. Although it pains me, I break it open and fill in the hole in my Dansco album. Although way off topic, I've noticed that the price of graded Kennedy's at say 69, can be lower than the price of an ungraded Kennedy on ebay. It makes you wonder why some coins are ever graded at all.

8. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

I only use them as an upper end when buying and rarely will I pay more than about 60-70% of the guide prices when buying.

Given your remarks I now have to ask what sets the "market price" for a particular coin if these guides can't be trusted to be at least somewhat accurate. I do notice that the NGC registry does seem to give lower values to the PCGS coins than does PCGS. I have always taken that as a "marketing gimmick."

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

As to Tim's original post, I would find a slab piece of bullion, (graded 69 or lower), might have a touch more value since some people would be more comfortable buying it than raw.

The big point, though, is everyone should realize any modern slab 69 or lower is essential a reject from the TPG. The submitter sent them in hoping for 70's, and his profit from the 70's paid for ALL of the slabbing fees. Therefor, don't fall for the "it costs X to send it in, therefor its worth X more than an unslabbed one" BS. Because that is all it is, since he profited by his 70's more than enough to offset all grading fees. Any dealer trying to say that to you is basically a you know what artist, and I wouldn't really want to do business with him.

Sorry, I am getting less tolerant of "half truths" in my old age, and they tick me off worst than they used to.

10. John14

John14 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted