You bought GRADED bullion?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Detecto92, Dec 22, 2012.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Echo.......

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Even the title of this thread, to me, suggests a bit of tongue-in-cheek... obviously, that was overlooked...

(Yes, I know it is all over, but I just could not let that sucker green18 get in the last word!! :devil:)

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

What? It's over? WTH? I just made more popcorn! :devil:

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Now you'll have to rent a movie. :D

6. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

Really? Does the world revolve around you? Am I supposed to know who you hold conversations with and who you talk to? To any outside viewer the manner in which you gave your "opinion" was simply distasteful.
    Secondly I'm getting tired of your nonsense; labeling everyone who critiques you as angry. I'm not angry nor upset, rather I'm simply pointing something out for you to hopefully understand in the future.

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The world does not revolve around me, it rests on my sholders.

HerculesPortMerion.jpg710403811.jpeg

8. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

If it rested on your shoulders we'd all be in serious trouble

9. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

I'm reminded of a saying about never argue with an idiot. They'll bring the discussion down to their level, then beat you with experience. Something like that...

10. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

That's a lot of money out the door.

11. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

OK, for those who strive for political correctness, an apology was issued in post #33... (in case you missed it)... we know now who the sarcastic comment was intended for (Detecto)... let it die already...

Troll_spray.JPG

12. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

I like graded ASE's because I think they will be very collectible and have a fairly high premium in the future but that's just me.

13. headsortails

headsortails Member

I can see it both ways if your planning on holding it 5 years or 55 years would be my deciding factor.

Opinions are like butts everyone has one.

14. Pennypanner

Pennypanner Member

A few months back I bought a graded Silver Eagle for my Dansco album. My LCS was selling the graded coin for the same price as an ungraded coin. I had them crack it out so that I could put it in my book. They said they do it all the time.

15. rsand

rsand Member

ASE's are coins. They are legal tender. Proof strikes, reverse strikes, have numismatic value. Ditto China Pandas and other nations series. I bought 2006 and 2009 Pandas for my kids since those are their birth years. They are beautiful coins and I hope they appreciate their beauty as well as a sentimental value for them someday, no different than I feel for the 72 proof Eisenhower that my grandfather bought me when I was born.

That all said, I also bought a couple of buffalo nickel rounds for my son and I this year for the holidays. Those are not legal tender, but I bought them for the design and for my son's enjoyment (he's 6 - big and shiny = good) but would not consider buying such for much over spot, nor would consider grading them.

Most important notion here is that ANY collectible market is established by the value people place on collecting! There is no such thing as a "sucker" collector, or maybe more accurate is that we are all suckers. :) A cent is legally worth a cent. That is immutable. Some people collect buttons. Who am I to say that they're suckers? If they enjoy it, if there is a market for it... collect away! There most certainly is a market for mint and proof ASEs, for mint quality Pandas, etc. If anyone has any MS/PR69 ASEs and doesn't appreciate or enjoy them as part of their collection, I'll be happy to buy them for a dollar over spot!

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I like Cabbage Patch dolls. I have several that are graded and have a certificate of authenticity. I am waiting to submit some of them to ANACS.

:)

17. rsand

rsand Member

That would be one heck of a slab!

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Sure, I bought graded bullion. I bought an AGE in an NGC MS70 slab for a bit under spot. If I decide to flip it on eBay, the slab serves to authenticate it, getting me higher bids.

Given a choice between a guaranteed-authentic raw coin and a slab, though, I don't think I'd be inclined to pay much of a premium for the slab. And I can't really say that I'm "collecting slabbed bullion", given the reasoning above.

19. I did not buy the 2012 W burnished ASE from the US Mint this year. I can still buy it at a price of $50.95 plus $4.95 shipping (total: $55.90). I can also buy a PCGS MS69 First Strike slabbed version of the same coin online for $52 with free shipping. Which is the better option? TC

20. costello

costello Member

I agree with you... yet I don't. I know my collection of 1988-1993 Marvel comic books aren't worth the paper they're printed on, yet I love them dearly. So I'm with you on that. I disagree when it comes to others purchasing coins or comics for me. If they were to pay $30 for a $1 comic I'd appreciate the gift, but I'd feel bad. Perhaps it's rude, but I've told friends and family members if they were to buy my son coins, to get them from the US Mint or get rolls from the bank. No kidding, all my family members and friends who have expressed interest in his collecting tell me about the great deals QVC and HSN have. My big fear is someone buys him the wooden collector's box for state quarters, complete with the 1999 gold-clad set and a $29.99 a month subscription to get the rest.

21. rsand

rsand Member

Oh I totally agree with you there. I have had the same conversation with several family members as well who wanted to buy my son something for his collection. When there is an established market value for something, anything, its foolish to overpay. We're not talking about 1-of-a-kind rarities here... QVC, HSN, their prices are just ridiculous and always have been, for anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted