You bought GRADED bullion?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Detecto92, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Graded bullion might turn out to be a sleeper since it is so disrespected. Just make sure you don't pay too much of a premium. A few years ago I bought several ASEs graded MS64 and MS65 for about a 10% discount to the bullion price. The slab actually detracted from the value. Go figure.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I agree that there is no right or wrong way to collect coins. To each his own. I personally love proof 70 ASEs. Some of the key dates have huge premiums, which to me makes them more numismatic than bullion. However, I gotta draw the line with labels. To me, this is the ultimate waste of money. I can't stand the fact that my ASEs have different labels (some blue, some brown, some with weird pictures on them). I think the labels ruin the consistency of the set. Anyway, I digress.

4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

If so, how would anyone else know that? Your second post was somewhat of a rebuttle and again gave no hit of an inside comment directed toward a friend. When you post it for all to read, expect all to take it at face value. However, thanks for clarifying your remarks.

5. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Sadly, the art of sarcasm is lost on the internet. I read the original post, and immediately chuckled at what I assumed was a subtle joke - partly because of the other humourous and sarcastics comments Kirkuleez has made in other threads. At least his grammar was correct, or folks would have burned him at the stake!!

6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I thought it was funny too and made the same assumption. Strangely, I found the ensuing dispute entertaining as well. Wheres the popcorn? :taped-shut:

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Pop corn binds me up...........

This thread too. :devil:

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I would agree, reading written intent is sometimes very hard to do on the internet. I try and use some of the smiley facial expressions when I want to keep things in proper perspective. Once in a while those don't do the job either. I personally haven't been on threads where Kirkuleez has posted often, so I'm not familiar with his style of writting or ways with humor. I should have expected more brevity in a post with green18 paticipating. [In keeping with my own recommendation, I should insert a smiley face here. :>)]

9. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Got to love when someone gets all indignant for someone having a different opinion than theirs, and saying so. Irony or hypocrisy? You decide.

Lol... wow, again that's pretty ironic and/or hypocritical isn't it? So if in my opinion, your opinion is wrong, and I say so, is that automatically being disrespectful of your opinion? Sounds like a no-win scenario to me.

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

An opinion is just that, an opinion. An opinion is never right or wrong. What I detest is the belittling of those that have a different opinion. If you want your opinions respected, you must, in turn, respect the opinions of others. Telling someone that they are wrong in collecting what and how they will is disrespectful.

If I have misinterpreted what someone has posted here, I apologize.

11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

013a.jpg 004.jpg To each their own, me I put them in a Dansco. That's how I like them. I must admitt I do have a few in plastic

12. rickmp

13. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Not to all collectors. It adds zero value or premium to me and I won't pay any additional costs for one that is in a holder over a raw one.

14. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

For the record, I do own four graded ASEs. A PCGS 1995-W and the three piece 25th annaversary set. The 1995 was purchased from the mint in 1995 and I had it graded when my son was born in 2000 because I was thinking about selling it and the three piece set I had graded because I wanted to signify the fact that the proof and the business strike coins were part of the set. My problem with graded bullion is that it just reminds me of those tv pitchmen selling MS-69 coins for triple melt and claiming how rare they are. This type of peddling common coins bugs me. If I offended anybodys collection then I appologise, it certainly was not my intent.

15. rickmp

OK. Let's call that one done.

Here's to everyone here at CT having a most joyous holiday.
    May Santa make your collections bigger and better.
    Merry Christmas* to all!

*or whatever holiday you may celebrate.

16. fred13

fred13 Junior Member

There's a difference between an opinion and insulting someone. Kirkulez bluntly called people who buy graded bullion suckers. It's fine to think that but for the sake of decency and respect to other people you don't state something in that manner. I personally hate dinosaurs and think the only thing the state of Colorado is good for is a nuclear site but out of respect to other people I keep it to myself.

Learn something

17. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

If I can get a graded coin for the same price or cheaper than a non-graded one then I won't hesitate as long as it's a coin I like. If it's over a couple bucks more than unslabbed I don't bother, even if it's an MS70. I don't really care for slabs because you can't authenticate the coin very easily, and they take up a lot of space. I also question whether the premiums will hold up over time, but they may.

18. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy graded bullion, but it most certainly wouldn't bother me if others did. If you are happy with the coin who cares if its considered bullion.

19. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Really, did I say that everybody that collects graded bullion is a sucker, or was my comment a joke directed at Detecto? I have conversations with him daily and I 'm sure that I did not offend him. If you want to take it personally, so be it, but don't say that I said things that I didn't and fan some flame of something that was already dead.

I realized that some peope may have misread what I said so I appologised for the misunderstanding in post #33. If you can't accept that, then just go on being mad at me, I don't really care.

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You guys. All of you guys that collect coins? You're all suckers.......:devil:

Anyone who knows Kirk knows he didn't mean anything derogatory and pointed against the collecting choice of the folks who enjoy buying slabbed bullion. Lets all not get our knickers bunched up.

21. rickmp

I thought that this was all over. Can it end now?

Draft saved Draft deleted