YOU are Invited: The First Official CoinTalk Meet and Greet at FUN 2020

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by physics-fan3.14, Dec 9, 2019.

?

Will you be there?

1. Absolutely!

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. I'm not sure about that physics-fan guy, but I'd like to meet the rest of you

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Let me think about it. Maybe?

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Unfortunately, I can't make it. Maybe next year!

38 vote(s)
    60.3%
  5. Will there be bacon?

14 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

masterswimmer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Is anyone considering going to the July FUN show? I don't usually, but I'm thinking about it this year.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

I MIGHT -- but probably only for 1 day. If I'm at a relatives place on the West Coast, I would consider driving the 2 1/2 hours or so to hit it on Friday most likely.

I'm kind of surprised that they even have one again that soon -- does the July one also have workshops, ANA stuff, and auctions ? Or it's more slimmed down since it's only 3 days and ends on Saturday ?

5. physics-fan3.14

The winter show has about 1000 dealers, I think the summer show is much smaller at only 350. But yes, they still have a major auction, seminars, and such.

6. RLGluvcoins

RLGluvcoins Active Member

U can post here I dont need much info for my question lol oops thought this was my little thread lol

7. GoldFinger1969

Heritage VIP Room @ FUN: I just started buying from HA last year, and I'm not big player but I probably bought a dozen or so items and probably spent a few thousand dollars. Probably bid on much more but didn't win, not that I think they track that.

How much business do you have to do with them to get an invite to the VIP room for refreshments, etc. ? I'm not looking to splurge or dine, if anything I'd just like to schmooze with the HA staff and maybe meet some other HA auction participants and maybe some CT'ers (though we had our own meet-and-greet).

If HA doesn't want Small Frys like me mixing with the likes of the guy who bought the 1927-D, they can always have an upscale and a downscale invite. :D

Iced tea, some cookies, and maybe a place to look at my purchases away from the crowd for a while -- that's all I'm looking for. :D

Any of you attend the HA invites ?

8. GoldFinger1969

Impressive....did we have 1,000 dealers this month ? I think I counted the dealers in the guide and it was 500-600...but that didn't include the "double-ups" who shared spaces. That might have added another 50-100.

Anyway, if I do get down there I'll let you know, PF. Maybe we can all coordinate so we all go on the same day if some of us are just going to go for 1 day only.

9. physics-fan3.14

Well, I guess more accurately there were 990 tables. Some dealers had more than one table, and some tables had more than one dealer.

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

i think you need to be a Legacy Client which requires $100K lifetime purchases. I have access but have never used it because I was either always working or not actively buying.

11. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I heard or read somewhere that there were about 650 table dealers and about 1500 registered dealers at Winter FUN 2020. That's roughly twice the size of the Summer FUN show which I have attended the last two years, although summer FUN has always seemed bigger than 325 tables to me. I haven't seen numbers for the public attendance but last years Winter FUN show was about 15,000 people over the four days and I'd say this year's show had about the same. I only live about 20 miles away so I go every day to both shows. Summer FUN has ANA classes, club meetings, educational seminars to about or slightly less than Winter FUN. My experience is there is a goodly offering for the collector in the Heritage Auctions and on the bourse floor. Worth attending if you can make it work in your schedule and budget.

12. GoldFinger1969

$100,000 ? :wideyed:

Then I guess I'll see you all in the Heritage VIP Room sometime about 2040. Assuming we're all still around.....:D

RLGluvcoins and GenX Enthusiast like this.
  13. GoldFinger1969

It'd be nice if you could do an ANA workshop and still attend the show that same day -- maybe if they had a 2 or 3 hour intermission or something.

As it stands now, you pretty much have to commit a full day to the seminars, as they run from 8-5, I believe. Get out at 5 sharp or a bit earlier and maybe you have 1 1/2 hours before they close up.

14. physics-fan3.14

I have well over that in losing bids with them. Does that count? ;)

15. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Goldfinger1969, the ANA classes are held on Tuesday and Wednesday and with the show opening on Thursday, you don't miss anything. I took the Fundamentals of Grading class last year on T & W and didn't miss a thing. Now, if you are a dealer of one type or another doing the "deals in motel rooms" and other sorts of unofficial activities pre-show, then you couldn't take the classes, but I suspect those dealers are mostly either beyond the scope of these classes or just not interested.

The educational seminars and presentations given on T, F & S are typically an hour long and I can usually get in two to three of them plus one to three club meetings without impacting my bourse and auction action. I don't know about you but I get physically tired and suffer sensory overload if I spend more than a couple hours at a time on the bourse floor. The other activities provide a needed break in addition to the fellowship/learning, etc.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You could always do the next best thing, attend the Dealer Day, the day when the general public is not allowed on the bourse floor.
    http://www.funtopics.com/content/summer-fun/early-bird-badging.html

Doing this allows you first crack at all the offerings right along with all the dealers.

Ya see, the primary purpose of coin shows, especially the big ones like FUN, are to allow all the dealers to sell to each other. Approximately 80% of all transactions at coin shows are dealer to dealer sales and purchases. Including all the auctions.

So to be there when only the dealers are 'wheeling and dealing" - that's your best shot ;)

17. GoldFinger1969

Right, I stand corrected...but that requires getting down to Orlando early, which is another inconvenience. Oh well.....:(

I think 3 days for me is perfect (Thurs-Saturday); Sunday was a bit overkill. But I guess if I want to take those courses -- and I do -- I'll have to come down 1 or 2 days early.

18. GoldFinger1969

Yup, I saw that in action early-Thursday morning, Doug....saw 1 dealer with his BUY LIST of about 10-15 items going to the dealer whose case I was looking at.

Draft saved Draft deleted