Post Your FUN Purchases Here !

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GoldFinger1969, Jan 24, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Bought something at FUN ?

U.S. Coin...bullion....world coin...ancient.....half a donut :D... whatever you bought, post it here.

My 1923-D Saint-Gaudens MS66:

1923-D Saint Gaudens MS-66 (crop).jpg
    1923-D Saint Gaudens MS-66 rev (crop).jpg

buckeye73, JBOCON, Mainebill and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

1915-S Saint-Gaudens MS63:

1915-S Saint-Gaudens MS63.jpg 1915-S Saint-Gaudens MS63 rev.jpg

4. GoldFinger1969

2015 American Eagle Proof PF70:

2015 American Eagle UCAM PF70.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    paddyman98, ddddd, ldhair and 6 others like this.
  5. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

In my opinion, from what I can observe in the photos, this coin has better general presentation than the 1923-D. I'm amazed of the 23-D grade with the damage to devices/fields (i.e. significant "dings" on rays, bust and the scratch in obverse, bag rub?). Regardless, it is a nice, difficult to locate at "fair market" coin.

JMHO

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. GoldFinger1969

Well, compared to others graded lower (many) and higher (fewer), I think it's pretty strong for the grade. I have probably looked at dozens in the last few months and literally HUNDREDS in the last 5 years since I first set my sights on a 1923-D.

The highest out there is an MS67+.

If it was scored an MS65, it'd definitely CAC sticker if not Gold Bean.

I'm going to have someone at CT take better photos of my coins so maybe that will show the positives a bit more. Regardless, I'm pretty happy with it to my Saint collection.

Simpson Saint Collection, I'm gunning for you !! :D

Mainebill, RonSanderson and ldhair like this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not even close to the same league, but here's another one I bought:

IMG_3519.JPG IMG_3523.JPG

buckeye73, Mainebill, Jmis and 10 others like this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

No grade on that, PF ? Gonna submit ? What do you think it will grade ?

9. physics-fan3.14

No, its raw. I'd call it 64 BN. I paid $35 for it, so no plans to submit. I'm quietly working on an album of raw wheats. This one's a bit higher grade than many of the others, but I really liked the color.

10. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

As an extreme buyer (i.e. ~1/week, with currently a 13S and 16S on order) of this type coin in PQ, +, and CAC slabs, I was just expressing my opinion, worth that paid.

No negative intended, just as more of a comment on current grading diversity. I'm also a strong collector of that date, and probably would have also purchased that coin at ~$2400 price.

What's important is your opinion, for which I'm pleased that you located the coin.

ENJOY!!

11. GoldFinger1969

No offense taken, IM, I respect your opinion. I just haven't seen many 66's nicer than that one...the ones that are almost always were +, CAC, or cost closer to $5,000.

The jump in price for a 67 -- close to $12,000 -- means that any strong or CAC 66 or visibly top-notch 66 is going to sell for more regardless of if it should or not.

Comments always welcome and believe me, I like give-and-take so I don't expect them all to be positive. Glad you took the time to comment !

The only 66's I've seen for $2,400 were on HA and I believe that was before the 20% BP. And they were not anywhere near as good-looking in terms of luster and/or marks. Also, generally newer slabs with more lenient graders (not that I bought the slab here, it just happened to be in an OGH from 1995-98).

Yup, and as soon as I win MegaMillions or Powerball I will give it a brother or sister who rates MS67. :D

ldhair likes this.
  12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I like your Saint Gaudens. The AGE proofs are a highly underrated coin. I think they suffer a bit too much from the snarly “it’s a bullion coin.” Congrats on your purchases.

14. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

DSC_0167-tile.jpg DSC_0166-tile.jpg DSC_0173-tile.jpg DSC_0161-tile.jpg DSC_0171-tile.jpg DSC_0056-tile.jpg DSC_0159-tile.jpg DSC_0058-tile.jpg DSC_0157-tile.jpg It appears everyone picked up some nice coins. I had a good show also. The 1869 IHC was an upgrade to the AG coin in my IHC collection. I didn't buy it for its beauty or lack thereof but for the neat "C(ENT)" clash on the obverse (can't see it in my photo) and the die cracks on the reverse. The other coins are all new additions to my type set.

15. ja59

ja59 Missing the Beach just not as much as ...

Wow! What a haul :hungry:

16. physics-fan3.14

@Publius2 , that '95 half is one of my dream coins. Very nice!

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I bought this raw at the show on dealer day, submitted it for show grading ($50), then immediately mailed to CAC. Found out Wednesday it green stickered.
    20200124_194953.jpg 20200124_195010.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  18. GoldFinger1969

You can find out BEFORE you get the coin back if it stickered ? Nice....

How long from the day you mail the coins to the day you get them back does it take, what's the turnaround ? I was considering sending a few of mine just as a test, but wanted to submit direct rather than go through some official CAC dealer.

C-B-D likes this.
  19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I quit using my CAC dealer account for a number of months, but recently started using them again. @CircCam used to send a few thru me. This was the fastest it ever took. They received my order on Friday, and emailed me results the following Wednesday! Usually it takes 5 or 6 business days, to hear results. Now... the bad part for me is that they mail them to me using registered mail and where I live, it takes 10-14 days to get to my town. Sooooo slow.

20. physics-fan3.14

They had closed membership to non-dealers for several years and were not accepting new members. Are they open to new members again?

And, I'd assume they have some sort of electronic tracking. TPGs do the same - they show the status and update the coins as they go through the process. You can see the grades once they post, before they arrive back in your mailbox.

21. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

There is no online tracking at CAC. They just email you when they receive the order and email you the grades when they ship out. And their website says closed to new memberships, but you can email them and they'll add you to a waiting list.

Draft saved Draft deleted