WTC Coins Buy / Don't buy?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SINED, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Admiral Gardner wreck coins go for about $8-10, course they are copper, and Indian coins minted in Britain, but they are cool bang for the buck.

4. rld14

rld14 Custom User Title

Exactly. It might be a neat thing to have as an item for discussion, but to pay a tremendous premium is, to me, insane. Granted, I think that the premiums that these modern mint issues can bring in high slabbed grades is equally insane to begin with. (Things like $10,000 for an MS70 recent date business strike Lincoln Cent).

5. cesariojpn

cesariojpn Coin Hoarder

Yeah, why should I pay what, 5 times over "normal" prices for a coin that somehow managed to get buried under rubble caused by a bunch of DURKA DURKA!! Insane Muslims who hijacked planes and slammed them into the WTC, causing 3000++ deaths? IIRC, virtually most of the metal from WTC got sold off under "normal" scrap metal prices, yet nobody complained about that (or most of the metal, save for some iconic pieces like the last beam and the Cross).

6. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I doubt that many will remember it in 50 years. How many people today remember 12/7 ?

7. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

don't buy anything not from the u.s.mint...

8. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Elaine
    we are talking bullion that WAS released by the US mint. and was subsequently involved in the WTC collapse.

Davidh
    People don't remember 12/7 anymore because we don't teach US history in our public schools for fear we will "offend someone".

9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

My problem with the WTC coins is how some have chosen to market them-- using ads with all sorts of pseudo-patriotic verbiage and flag-waving nonsense. I find that insulting. For some buyers they provide a tangible link to an historic, if terrible, event, as does any artifact. I believe that those who buy them purely as investments at large premiums will be disappointed in the long run.

10. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

That's true, and I predict the same thing will happen to 9/11. But, less than attributable to being taught history, people not living during an event tend to not see the significance of the event. That's why the events of 11/22 are only meaningful to people over 50 or so and, I'm guessing, only one in 20 see 12/7 as a thing to remember. Look in the newspapers this Sunday, I'll bet there's only a one column filler article, at best. This for an event that eventually cost over 400,000 Americans killed and over 50,000,000 military and civilian deaths worldwide.

I wonder how many here are scratching their heads wondering what 11/22 and 12/7 are.

11. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I do and anybody who has ever been to Pearl Harbor will as well.

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

We learned about both those events in great detail when I was in school and I am far too young to have lived through either of them.

13. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

[quote

Your whining" I'm a hero, I'm a New Yorker "
    [/quote]

I would have to agree that New Yorkers are hero's. Being in the Military my unit was at ground zero NYC days after 9/11. We remained there for two weeks and only left because we had orders to re-deploy to other areas of interest in the world. Thanks to a city full people like mrbrklyn, green18 and treashunt, New York made it through this crisis. You have to understand that this devastation happened in our back yard. Most people in the US could just change the TV station and watch something else. We didn't have that Luxury of doing that we had to look at it every day. Any New Yorker will become emotional about 9/11.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I, on the other hand, came from a school system that never taught about them. (I know about them because I am mainly self taught.) Not because they had any reason not to teach them, simply because they are incompetent. In twelve years in that school system I had seven years of history classes. We never got past 1870. We would start with Columbus discovering America and by the end of the school year we would be up to 1870. Then the next year we would start over again with Columbus discovering America and go though 1870. This happened year after year after year. And this wasn't some dinky school system. Metro area with a population over a million and a student count of 110,000 pupils per year. 25% of my graduating class were functionally illiterate. Many could not read or write at all. But they have diplomas.

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Sounds like Texas..

Ruben

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Harry, the real heroes are people such as yourself serving in our nations military. My hat's off to you and others like you....

17. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Looks like this thread stopped being about coins a while ago. Please take it over to www.prweforum.com if you want to continue this discussion. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.