Would You Rather Have $2,000 Worth Of Silver Or Gold?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Maxim Hofstede, Jun 20, 2015.

1. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Silver: If you have $2000 in silver than you can sell small pieces at a time, more people would bid on a $20 piece of silver than a $2000 piece of gold, it's just that less people have that budget, also, the premium of each piece adds up making you more money in the long term. Let's say you are selling one ounce of silver when spot is $20, you may sell it for $21, a one dollar premium, if you have two thousand pieces each one a $1 premium you can expect to make $2000, where as if you have one ounce of gold you may only get a small premium with the one piece.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yes, but remember that you're also paying that premium when you buy, although you can minimize it if you buy in bulk.

The reason premiums are lower if you buy in bulk: it costs money and time to sell each piece -- listing fees (if you're using a service like eBay), postage and packaging materials (if you sell to remote buyers), time to type up and post the description, time to deal with your buyers, time to pack and ship.

If you're doing this as a hobby, or because you really enjoy wheeling and dealing, you don't have to view the extra time as a cost -- but if you're talking about "return on investment", or worse yet, trying to make a living at this, you're no longer talking about a hobby.

coinman1234 likes this.
  4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I should of put that in consideration. I guess that is why I collect coins, I find it nicer to look at a beautiful historical coin than a lump of metal.

5. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I'm with the crowd. I stack gold and silver when the opportunity presents itself. Silver does seem to fluctuate a bit more than gold - and it's easier to move smaller denominations, especially in coins.

Gold I'm always VERY cautious of. It's one thing to try and make a fake dime or dollar, a $300 fake gold coin can be a huge loss.

As I'm learning about coins, I have been buying only reputable TPG gold coins, and bullion direct from distribution.

Silver I'm very comfortable with and have been stacking Silver Eagles and Morgan/Peace for quite some time as they've been coming down.

6. westcoasting

westcoasting Active Member

I'd settle for a Mexican Gold 50 pesos & Gold 20 pesos coin... and a few Silver Pesos or Libertads to make up any change :)

Draft saved Draft deleted