Worth Getting BU Coins Graded?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by shimps1, Jun 22, 2021.

1. shimps1

shimps1 Member

I have two 2021 American Gold Buffalos that I am holding for bullion value. However, I am curious if they are worth sending in to get graded. Would I see an increase in value to compensate for the cost of the grading? I am new to both coins and bullion, so I am still learning the rope on everything.

Both were purchased at a LCS, so I am thinking if they were really nice, the store would have had them graded themselves, so this is probably a waste of effort, but I am curious.

I also have a 2021 AGE and a 2021 Gold Maple coming soon. Those were purchased online, so they might have a better chance of being graded highly.

First:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fretboard likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Why ? most bullion coins come B/U, why
    pay more to get it graded and then try
    to cover that cost when you sale, this is
    a no brainer !

spirityoda likes this.
  4. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Run-of-the-mill AGEs are probably not worth grading. Most are released in 67,68,69 and some 70 condition. That being said I have several graded bullion coins that have significantly increased in value because they are graded MS70, First Strike, Limited Release, etc. There's a market out there for some graded bullion coins. Some users on Coin Talk get their panties in a bunch when the topic of graded bullion coins rears its ugly head.

tommyc03 suggests airtites which is an excellent idea.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@shimps1 I can't say that I would have it slabbed but that is a personal choice for you. I can say that you should get it into an airtite capsule to prevent future possibility of damage from bumping or rubbing against something.

CygnusCC, midas1 and Spark1951 like this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I wouldn't.

mpcusa likes this.
  7. mpcusa

I don’t see the logic there, paying more over
    a premium to have it graded, I guess that’s
    my personal choice..LOL

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I wouldn't have it slabbed myself. I don't think my grading skills would suffice to test this kind of coin with my lack of knowledge. It would probably cost less to buy it from a dealer who's already done this than doing it yourself. Bullion is just bullion for me. It gets protected but not slabbed.

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

70s would have a higher value, whether or not it's worth it is up to you to decide

midas1 likes this.
  10. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

If you bought them thinking you will sell at some point, then having them slabbed might not be such a bad idea. Knowledgeable people can tell genuine from not, so to them it is not important and they wouldn’t pay a premium. But to a casual stacker the slab means a lot. Too many fakes around when it comes to high value coins, be them bullion or numismatic.

Garlicus and midas1 like this.
  11. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

As @Gilbert said/implied, it can help when you go to resell. Personally, if I were to buy PMs from a person, not a reputable dealer, it would have to be slabbed, to give some assurance that it is genuine.

This reminds me, I have a V75 ASE that I should send in for grading. If I don’t, it will sit in the OGP and start to tone like my 25th anniversary set.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    midas1 likes this.
  12. shimps1

shimps1 Member

I'm looking at probably $200 in total cost to get these 4 graded. At $50 a coin, it sure would be nice to have them slabbed. I am kind of torn here. Not planning on selling them, but it would be nice to have the protection, and if gold does do some sort of crazy increase, I would be willing to unload them.

13. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Unless it's a 70 I don't think it's a good idea.

14. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Quick look turned up a 3 pack of slabs for the Buffalo for under $13 including shipping, if you are just looking to protect the coin.
    https://www.collectons.com/shop/ite...llion-Gold-Platinum-3-Pack-Coin-World-Premier

fretboard likes this.
  15. mpcusa

As I said before there is no advantage in getting them graded, when you go to sell
    1 OZ of gold is 1 OZ of gold.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

And as has been said to you many times before that simply is not true and the market has shows for years that you are wrong. Your opinion is not the market

midas1 likes this.
  17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Whether you should have them graded is totally up to you. :D That said, Gold ounces should never be in a coin flip with staples as it's extremely easy to scratch up your coin! Coin capsules are really cheap, get some! ;)

midas1 and tommyc03 like this.
  18. mpcusa

it’s bullion, worth same, B/U or run over by a train..LOL

Kashmir Pulaski and fretboard like this.
  19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not worth the cost in my opinion.

20. shimps1

shimps1 Member

Yep, Ait-Tites ordered!

Garlicus and midas1 like this.
  21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Great, glad to hear it as I once scratched a coin accidentally taking it out of a stapled coin flip it wasn't gold though. :D As far as you getting your bullion gold buffalo coin graded, normally I say no it's not necessary but because you're new, you may benefit from it. Your choice! ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted