World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

38.8 mm in dia. , but no weight given. I'm thinking it's probably very thick.

According to the two sites, it's very rare.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

4. Hookman

Unless at that time, the value of a Scottish Shilling was far removed from the value of a British Shilling.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. ^ before, v after
    Hey nut, after reading your latest post, I'm assuming the values are different.

5. Hookman

$14.79 melt as of 2:26 am CST

I know I'd like to have one, which is not likely to happen considering the book value.

6. Hookman

For the age and condition, I would estimate the value of talerman's coin at about $3500.00 or so.

7. coin_nut

Good estimate. I think it is a bit out of my price range...I will admire from afar...

Hookman likes this.
  8. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

As others have posted, it was about the same size as an English 5 shilling Crown of the same period. Scotland had experienced much higher inflation than England over the previous 50 years, due in part to the failed "Darien Scheme" - an attempt to establish Scotland as a World trade power. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

The failure of this scheme and the weakness of the Scottish economy were factors in Scotland deciding to accept the Act of Union in 1707. I am sure there are lessons there for Scottish politicians today and also European federal politics.

Hookman likes this.
  9. Hookman

Yeah, well, it better be good, I got it from the NGC web page for that coin. lolol

and I'm admiring it with binoculars. lolol

10. Hookman

That explains the difference in Shilling values for otherwise similar size coins. (As I touched on in my post above.)
    Thanks for the info.

11. Hookman

I read the Wiki link. A very interesting story.

About the time of the Scottish/British Union (1707) , Scotland petitioned England to 1) wipe out Scotland's debt to England and 2) help stabilize Scotland's currency and economy. England refused to do the first, but agreed to the second and so established the value of one Scottish shilling as being equal to one English penny. lolol. Gee, Thanks said Scotland.

12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

60 Shillings? Sure it's not 60 Pence, which is 3 Shillings. That would be bigger than a Half Crown.
    60 Shillings would have the value of 3 gold sovereigns, and would be HUGE in Silver.

P.S. Now I see... It is Scotland, not Great Britain. There was a lot of inflation in Scotland to have a 12:1 exchange rate.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  13. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

See later discussions. One Scottish shilling at the time had equivalent value to one English Penny. (And, by the way, 60 pence is five shillings - 12 pence to the shilling.) :)

14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

See my added comment.

PaddyB likes this.
  15. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

38.75 mm. 27.56 g (standard crown weight consistent with the theme of this thread).

The Scottish shilling was only worth 1/12 of the English shilling.

16. Hookman

Even though it had the same amount and purity of silver, correct?

17. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

New crown-sized coins I purchased this week in Chicagoland for $135 total:

1810-B Napoleon Italy 5 Lire, 1870-A France 5 Francs, 1873-A France 5 Francs and 1889 (Santiago) Ecuador Un Sucre.

coins_20190924_1.jpg
    coins_20190924_2.jpg

I've been wanting an early Napoleon crown-sized and a 19th cent. 5 lire, so getting this one hits both 'wants'. The two 5 Francs had a higher premium on them, but I haven't really seen many at decent prices in AU-Unc like these. Plus, 1870 (although a high mintage) is a pivotal year for Napoleon III as the dramatic end of his Empire and beginning of the nascent 3rd (and lasting) French Republic.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  18. coin_nut

Score

Hookman likes this.
  19. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

longshot, coin_nut, Hookman and 2 others like this.
  20. coin_nut

1996 Netherlands 10 gulden 1996 NL 10 g obv.JPG 1996 NL 10 g rev.JPG

Hookman likes this.
  21. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

1697 A Paris Ecu overstruck on a younger bust of Louis XVI,also Paris mint
    (R2)
    IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0315.JPG

Chris B, kaparthy, talerman and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted