What are your 2019 collecting goals?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Jan 1, 2019.

1. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Happy new year guys! 2018 was definitely a good year for me with some expected and unexpected acquisitions. Thought I'd organize and share my current want list for 2019, and start a thread where you all can do so as well if you wish.

That bring said, here's VK's Collecting Goals for 2019*!
    • A nice Anastasius tremissis (to replace the one I sold -my first gold coin- a few years ago)
    • Heraclius solidus (preferably one with him solo on the obverse)
    • Alexander lifetime tetradrachm
    • >40mm Justinian follis
    • More Greek silver, with emphasis on tetradrachms
    • More Roman Egypt coins
    • More Ptolemaic coins
    • Putting more of my collecting focus back towards very late Roman and early Germanic kingdom coinage
    • More 7th century Byzantine coins
    • A pre-Roman Spanish coin
    • A nice Judean coin
    • More siliquae
    • A coin of Islamic Spain
    • A coin of Ostrogoth king Witiges (almost had one a few years ago but the deal fell through)
    *List subject to change

So, what's in your sights for 2019? :)

Sardar, dlhill132, Chris B and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

My main goal is to update my website, make labels for the last year's worth of coins (plus some mixed lot stragglers from previous years), to finally get around to some research and write-ups of existing coins, and hopefully to add a few more coins... preferably provincials with unusual reverses or other good "story coins".

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My coin hopes for 2019:

Syrian Septimius Severus tetradrachm

Few more Byzantine coins for Emperors I need

Any Roman Alexandrian Tets.

Any AR Roman Republics that I can acquire cheaply

King John Short Cross

Queen Anne Half Crown & Crown at an affordable price

Any Medieval or World Coins I fancy.

Biggest want:

1815 or 1832 Parma 5 Lire featuring Marie Louise, Duchess of Parma.

Anything else that catches my eye or is asleep/ignored & I can get a deal on.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    dlhill132, alde, Ryro and 8 others like this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I only have one main want list item, and I found an example in an auction ending this month. Hopefully I will get it. I can’t afford to get much else than that, though. :(

I won’t mention what it is in order to prevent undue competition. ;) I have been after this coin for months.

I also need to photograph, catalog, and research more of my collection, so that should tide me over this year. :)

ycon, dlhill132, panzerman and 7 others like this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

My basic collecting strategy, which usually has severe financial implications. :):):)

Orange Julius likes this.
  7. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Complete my patriot set
    Complete the 20th century of my certified type set

8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Like @TypeCoin971793, I currently have two specific coins in mind that I will keep to myself. Otherwise, I hope to add a Henry II (preferably Tealby), and a William X of Aquitaine. Hopefully I’ll add another crude Norman denier, and maybe one of Richard the Fearless (the most common Norman coin, but one I have yet to purchase).

For Ancients, at least one Caracalla denier issued in a year I don’t yet have, and one more interesting provincial. If any more come along, I will roll with it.

9. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

My goals, or more appropriately resolutions, are:
    • Buy fewer coins - focusing on coins that really excite me, either for quality or academic reasons, versus merely "nice" coins. The siren's call of "nice" coins is hard to resist.
    • Write and submit for publication an article regarding an important Roman Republican coin in my collection.
    • Consign some duplicates or uninspiring (to me) coins.

Volodya, dlhill132, Nvb and 11 others like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While there are coins I have wanted for years, my main goal is to finish the year with no more coins than I had at the start of the year. I succeeded in 2018 mostly by giving away a lot of beginner coins but what remains I can see going are getting less beginner but more beginners want Otho than Septimius or late Romans. This means I will only buy a coin with the realization that something has to go so there will be fewer purchases just because I did not have that one. The year won't be cheap since even selling a coin for $10 won't offset the purchase of a $100 (or more) new purchase. Will I succeed or decide that is a silly goal and set a new top count for the collection? Stay tuned.

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I don't have specific goals, just ongoing interests, and I'll be watching auctions for:

Additions to my Gallienus zoo collection
    Provincials with interesting (usually mythological) reverse types
    Lupa Romana issues if the price is right
    Lifetime issues of Faustina I and those with left-facing or veiled busts

But mostly, I plan to look at auctions and say to myself, "Oooh! Look at that!"

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I wholeheartedly agree. This is pretty much not for a single year (2019), but for the life of my Hobby.

I am clear to myself as to my interests, however, I am comfortable growing into new areas also. It is the Journey that is more important to me than the End.

kountryken, Sardar, dlhill132 and 6 others like this.
  13. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

My collecting-goal for 2019 is simple: have fun! Although there are some specific coins on my wishlist, the most important thing is to buy coins I like from people or auctions I enjoy buying from. That being said, I do have certain coins I will be on the lookout for. There are several medieval coins from the low countries (Tuin, Snaphaen & griffioen to name a few) I would like to add to the collection this year, as well as several Greek/roman ones (cast coins from Akragas/Selinos & my first Julius Caesar). As for Chinese coins: we’ll see what pops up! The market for these pieces differs significantly from ‘traditional’ ancients and there is no telling what might come up for sale where!

14. ndwolf68

ndwolf68 Member

HNE, everyone!
    I want to complete the Eisenhower dollar set, but I want to buy "the right coins". Should I stick to silver only, or clad as well? Proofs? Got lots to learn.

Eventually, Morgans will be my focus... maybe sooner, than later.

R/,
    Norm

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hi Norm! Happy new year to you too :).

You probably saw this thread in the "new posts" section and didn't notice that it is on the Ancients board rather than the US board, so you probably won't get much advice about Eisenhowers and Morgans here.

Sounds like a good new topic for you to post either on the U.S. Coins board or on the Coin Chat board :).

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

More of the 12 Caesars - I'd like to get Tiberius (tribute penny) Caligula (as or sestertius), Claudius (billon tetradrachm), Otho (denarius).

I'm done with the 2nd century unless I find some cool and unusual Alexandrian types (drachms, diobols, tetradrachms).

Diadumenian, Hostilian, Saloninus, Etruscus, Aemilian, Carus, Carinus, Florian, Tacitus, Nigrinianus would enable me to complete the 3rd century (oops - need Quietus too, already have a Macrianus). I'm done with the 4th century.

I may start collecting Ptolemaic coins as well, those hockey pucks are awfully appealing and I don't have one yet.

Gold - either a late empire or Byzantine solidus to break into the gold collectors' club.

17. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

My collection aims for 2019:
    • Get my first tetradrachm from Alexander (lifetime or a interesting posthumous) and if the time is ripe from Philip II as well. I aim to get atleast a lifetime issue of both in my collection, however not necessarily in 2019 (I also have no hurry in the Philip one and the lifetime Alexander, there are so many nice examples on the market). And who knows if a nice Ptolemy or Seleukid or any other tetradrachm shouts my name I might get it as well.
    • I hope for some nice additions from Epeiros, since that is my main collection focus.
    • Continue to add some coins from Amisos for my mini-collection.
    • Recently I got fond of coins from the Greek islands (Rhodos, Samos, Corcyra, Crete, Thasos etc). So who knows a/some nice additions from there.
    • Some additions for my Byzantine Anonymous follis mini-collection.
    • And after all, everything that I find interesting along the way, could be from Magna Graecia to Bactria.

18. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

My main goal is to participate in AMCC #2 this year. I had so much fun during the first one. I'm hoping to grab another pick bin coin the second go around. :D

Other than that, it's going to be a very slow year. I'm totally good with this because it helps me to appreciate what I do have that much more! It kind of helps that the coins resides with my parents because I get to rediscover them every time I'm over there. :woot:

I'm hoping to sway my brother back on the right path and away from video games and funko pops. :rolleyes:

Erin

19. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

It would nice to have a septimius severus sestertius

20. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Personally, my collecting goals in 2019 are simple - add as many interesting bronze coins as possible while filling any critical gaps I have left in silver. Unlike in recent years, the possibilities are endless.

21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

No specific goal here either (I've never had a specific goal). But if a nice coin finds its way to my trays I will be happy

Q

Draft saved Draft deleted