World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

X#610 looks like a Bruce number from the Unusual World Coins catalog. Possibly because it is an off-metal strike. Krause lists the coin as Y-544, 2000 Yuan 80th birthday of Chiang Kaishek. Dated 1966 and struck in gold, without any indication of bronze or silver examples that I could see.

TuckHard and Steve66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Picked up a new drachm. Got it for less than $40, which seems like a good price considering these types easily go to $100 and then some.

Other then the price I felt there were still some facial features left to enjoy the type.

[​IMG]
    Meherdates (50 - 49 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    O: Bust facing with moustache and very short beard, royal wart on brow, tiara with ear flaps and ornamented with a horn on each side, diadem loop and end extending on each side, flanked by two six-pointed stars.
    R: Blundered Greek legend forming square around, archer (Arsakes I) seated right on throne, bow in extended right hand, cross below seat, Ekbatana mint monogram below bow.
    2.8g
    21mm
    Ekbatana mint.
    Sunrise 417/418 (Meherdates); Sellwood 67.1 (Vonones II); Shore 368 (Vonones II)

4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

A neat 18th century billon 10 Liards from Austrian Netherlands.

100_1810.JPG

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Two newps from Austria this morning.

I've had the Hogmouth in my watchlist for a long time. Just got a discount voucher from that dealer via an email promotion, and decided to finally pull the trigger on it. It was offered as a Brilliant Unicirculated (stempelglanz) example, and I tend to believe that. We'll see what PCGS says. I look forward to getting TrueView images with it as well, as these photos below are plainly overexposed.

Needed a Leopold the Hogmouth coin. This is just a minor denomination, but I'm happy to have it, it's obviously a nice Mint State example that was still quite affordable in spite of that, and the clipped planchet is kind of neat.

Also wanted one of those gilt German notgeld pieces with the horse and the inflationary denominations for a while. This one was also pretty cheap- these are affordable overall. They're also nice big crown-sized things.

After shipping from Europe (which the discount voucher essentially took care of), I'm in these for €123 EUR ($135.03 USD) the pair. The Hoggie was around a hundred bucks and the notgeld horsie around $35-ish.

Austria: silver 3-kreuzer of Leopold I ("The Hogmouth"), 1700-IA, minor clipped planchet error
    [​IMG]

Germany (Westphalia): gilt bronze 10,000-mark notgeld token, 1923
    [​IMG]

6. lordmarcovan

CircCam! :D

7. lordmarcovan

Neat coin.

I wouldn't be surprised if I found one of those in the bigger of the two Liège lots I won recently. (I'll just have to squint at the small photos until the lot hits my mailbox. The anticipation is building as they fly across the Atlantic...) :)

chrsmat71 likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Love that reverse.

9. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

I paid $60 for this coin :greedy: for two reasons.
    For a year type set that I’m working on,
    and I really liked the reverse.
    I wish I could afford the gold version of this coin.

10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

That's pretty neat. You don't often see Chinese coins with an exact month and day.

Usually it's just the Zhong Hua Min Guo year. COOL

11. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

I'm happy to have received this today! It's a 20 Cash from the Kingdom of Mysore, located in present southern India. It was issued under Krishnaraja Wadiyar III (full name Sriman Rajadhiraja Raja Parameshvara Praudha-pratapa Apratima-vira Narapati Birud-antembara-ganda Maharaja Sir Krishnaraja Wadiyar III Bahadur).

No Date but 1811-1833 AD
    1811-1833 AD Kingdom of Mysore 20 Cash Krishnaraja Wadiyar III Combined H.png

12. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Quick edited cell phone photos. Picked this up at this weekends show in Evansville, IN. Looks much better in hand.

Obverse: Three ostrich feathers and towers
    Reverse: Chariot

Composition: Silver
    Fineness: 0.8350
    Weight: 11.0000g
    Diameter: 29mm

San199201.jpg
    San199202.jpg

coin_nut and chrsmat71 like this.
  13. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nice! Everyone needs a Hogsmouth in their collection, I say. I’ve handled several at shows and have been close. I’ll pull the trigger eventually. Yers is a goodun.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Me tooooooooooooooooooo

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I was at the Evansville coin show on Saturday! Here is a quick group shot of my coins purchased there.

100_1837.JPG

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice little haul, @chrsmat71

chrsmat71 likes this.
  18. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

A couple of decent halfcrowns from auction yesterday:
    1823 HC 1.JPG 1823 HC 2.JPG 1927 HC 1.JPG 1927 HC 2.JPG

19. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

Here is one of my recent auction purchases, an 1805 Ireland proof Halfpenny. I am still waiting for this one to complete the journey across the Atlantic. I am so excited to see how the toning looks in hand!

1805 Ireland Proof Halfpenny.jpg

20. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I Danzig dare you .....would you pay $20 USD for this little copper? C:WINDOWSTempE701 - 20191006_180957.jpg C:WINDOWSTempE700 - 20191006_180941.jpg
    BTW it's also a doubled die...;)
    I asked to see this specimen asked the dealer what he wanted it was marked vf + $45.00
    He said what do you want to pay me....I had a $20 In hand my lunch money I replied...he said sold..... I did the happy dance in the lobby. :cigar:

21. Magnus87

Magnus87 Active Member

YES; I think ya done good!

Draft saved Draft deleted