Featured "Skull & bones" tokens: won two intriguing group lots in a recent Belgian auction

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 28, 2019.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You see, I was missing the "Skully" token that I had sold back in March.

Belgium (Liège, Chapter of St. Lambert): copper communion token; memento mori, ca. 1680s
    5hoqhpd4TRKPhkbzNvl0_Liege Memento Mori Jeton.jpg

So I was casually browsing around for a replacement. While I don't think these are especially rare, they're not always easy to find, either. They first came to my attention when CNG was auctioning several of them. I ended up paying around $115-ish for the example above when I won it in a Heritage auction.

There are a few different varieties. Another type has a slightly different skull-and-bones memento mori motif and is dated, with the year 1686. I like the skull on this particular design a bit more, but kind of thought I might go for one of the dated ones next time.

But I never could seem to find any more, or was always too late on the few I saw that had been for sale. They do seem to be rather popular, and tend to get snapped up quickly.

But then I stumbled across the following group lots in a recent Belgian auction (Jean Elsen & ses Fils Auction 142). I bid a little over the estimate for each. To my surprise, I ended up winning both; the first for €360 ($394-ish USD) and the second for €265 ($290-ish USD), plus fees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Look closely at the lot contents. The images are small and of low resolution, but you can see I will be having an interesting time going through these.

There are multiple "Skullies" in there! And some other cool types, too. So I will be able to choose the one(s) I want, then later sell the remainder of the lots and hopefully recoup most if not all of my investment.

Knowing relatively little about the coinage of Liège (let alone their 17th century tokens), I have no idea if I overbid or not, but I think these lots have some potential.

I had partly forgotten I was bidding in Euros, not US dollars, so the surprise win on both lots did come with some sticker shock, and I had to sell some stuff to scrape up the funds, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Ideally, I'll be getting another "Skully" on the cheap this way, and might make another find or two in the process.

If anyone is interested in seeing what's in these lots, perhaps I can post some of the individual pieces here, over time, as I go through them.

Secret note to self- people who are interested-
    (Who else? There were one or two others. Must dig through PMs...)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

4. lordmarcovan

Thanks for that link. Yes, demand seems to be high.

I notice that that single piece sold for about the same price as I paid for the entire second lot above (#1628), which contains multiple pieces!

That is encouraging.

Stevearino, Theodosius and Yorkshire like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

PS- @Yorkshire- no, wait, the one you linked to sold for 260 GBP, not EUR, so even more! That's like 320-ish USD. Wow.

Of course it was PCGS AU55.

This confirms my decision to submit all my new Skullies to PCGS for certification when I get them.

I never got around to that with the one I sold back in March.

6. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see what they grade, also how much did you sell your other for ?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Low- to mid-$100s USD. I forget now. Not too much above my cost, if at all. But I was pricing stuff for quick sale back in March, since I needed to sell.

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I would love to see better shots of these coins. :)

9. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Lord,

Those are really great lots. It looks like you will pick up 1635, '53, '86, and undated "skullies" in one swipe! Congratulations. There appears to be two different designs used on the '86, wonder if you'll receive each?

Some of the other non-skullies in those lots look very intriguing to me. Keep us posted and thanks for sharing. 2344.JPG 2345.JPG

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    dlts, chrsmat71, Theodosius and 4 others like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Thanks for taking the time to look, and "read over my shoulder", as it were. As of yesterday, they should be on their way across the pond from Belgium.

11. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Wasn't there someone on CU forum collecting these? They are
    kinda neat in their own way. Can't wait to see the pics once they
    are in your possession.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Probably so. Wouldn't surprise me, though I've not been on CU as much these last three years.

13. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

I have nothing of substance to add, but I think these are really interesting. I have never seen anything like it before. So is there a particular story for the motif or even more backstory for the tokens themselves?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Are they worth the price of grading? It seems that most people that collect these types of pieces like them raw. Unless they are upper BU, they wouldn't be hard to grade.

Paul M. and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

I'm not really up to speed on the full backstory of these particular tokens, but Wikipedia has an article on memento mori motifs. The gist of it, as I understand it, is that it was basically used as a solemn reminder of human mortality. In the context of these cathedral tokens, I gather the message must have been something like, "you're going to die someday, so you had better live a virtuous life while you're here". Something like that.

They're worth the price of grading to me, or will be, for a few pieces I'll select, as long as I'm confident they'll straight-grade. After that, I'll pick one for my collection and sell the rest. But you're right that most people probably collect them raw.

Theodosius and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I had assumed that was the general idea behind the design, but it is nice to have confirmation. Those are very interesting additions, and I look forward to seeing how the grades turn out!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

Here is mine and a picture of the cathedral, before the French Revolutionary yahoos decided to burn it down, compliments of John Anthony's auction.

Liege Cathedral.JPG Liege church token.JPG

18. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

This was John's write up;

A rare charity token issued by St. Lambert’s cathedral of Liège in the late 17th century. These were bought and contributed to the church, and in turn the priests would celebrate requiem masses for deceased loved ones, hence the skull and crossbones. Unfortunately, the cathedral was razed by the early 19th century, in an act of political idiocy by French revolutionaries.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Well, that's not bad. Skully is one of my favorites that's passed through the Eclectic Box collection. This makes me think I might actually be able to track one down for myself. :)

And this makes me think I might not have to. ;) PM me when you start selling these!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Let me know too when the rejects are being disposed of.

(I know, I ended a sentence with a dangling participle. But at least I spell properly and use punctuation).

21. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Sure, looks like some interesting pieces there!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted