World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

"I Found these foreign coins in a $2.00 bag at a Jacksonville FL flea market."

Well as well as the cashable Swiss 2 Francs and the silver content of the Canadian 10c, the 1952 Sixpence is the scarcest date for GVI sixpences and probably worth $10 or more on its own.

4. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

I have wanted one of these for quite some time. finally one became available today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stork, tibor, Endeavor and 7 others like this.
  5. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

I love this huge 1/2 macuta.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stork, tibor, Endeavor and 6 others like this.
  6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

All three of these are things I like.

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Someone here was a bad (good) influence on me. lol It is a pre-order off Ebay... sellers pic...

Stephen Hawking Hawkins 2019 50 Pence UK, Very cool design.

A1.jpg

sonlarson, Stork, tibor and 3 others like this.
  8. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Here's a new piece with some nice die cracks...probably about time to change the die...
    PHOTO_20190319_155935.jpg PHOTO_20190319_155959.jpg

Stork, dirty_brian, tibor and 6 others like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

What can I say- I've been a busy bee lately.

My full list of newps (new purchases) - including the US coins- can be seen here.

Roman Republic: bronze semis, anonymous issue, 211-207 BC; Hispania mint; Saturn and prow of galley
    [​IMG]

Ancient Greece (Thrace, Pantakapaion): bronze Æ21, ca. 310-303 BC; head of satyr (Pan); griffin and sturgeon
    [​IMG]

Great Britain (England): silver groat of Henry VI, Calais mint, ca. 1422-1461, from the Reigate Hoard found in Surrey
    [​IMG]

Great Britain (England): silver crown of Charles II, 1679; broadstruck mint error

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great Britain: silver South Seas Company sixpence of George I; double-struck mint error (2nd strike 25% off-center)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Japan: silver yen of the Emperor Meiji, Year 27 (1894)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Peru: silver half-dinero, 1897-JF; Seated statue of Liberty with sun crest shield and Phrygian cap

(This awesome little supergem is very prooflike in hand. Pictures don't do it justice. I tried making an animated GIF of it, but that stinks. I'll have to try again.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canada: silver dollar of George V, 1935; "Voyageur" type
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Egypt: silver 2 piastres of King Farouk, AH 1356 (1937)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Muzyck, Stork, tibor and 7 others like this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Those are all great, but my favorite was the Great Britain (England): silver groat of Henry VI, Calais mint, ca. 1422-1461, from the Reigate Hoard found in Surrey

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

That one came from forum member @Paddy54, and is waiting for me at home, as yet unopened.

Here are some other pix of it. Of course it will have TrueView images after it goes to PCGS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Stork, tibor, Endeavor and 2 others like this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This was a piece that was purchased from a good friend of mine who deals in world coins.
    I must admit yes I sold her ,only because a hoard of great date and mint mark half dimes came into my reach.
    I didn't have to sell her ,but had to to take advantage of the half dimes both capped bust and seated became available.
    So that said should you grow tired ,let me know as she may once again make Maryland her residence.
    My images above do not do justice....as this coin has great color and details.
    Enjoy her....

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I can't get over how great the portrait is. It must be worth a big pile of money for 1 this great a grade ?

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

The Henry VI certainly is a lovely coin, but it is surprising how many great examples of the coins of his reign turn up. Here is mine - Rosette-Mascle issue S1859 Calais mint - which also has a great portrait. This one was brought to me in a local market as a metal detectorist find.
    Henry VI Groat S1859 1.JPG Henry VI Groat S1859 2.JPG

Muzyck, Stork, tibor and 7 others like this.
  15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This specimen actullly stood out on a page of other 20 some hammered coins!
    I had to have it....and I did obtain it at a fair price. I truly hate to part...but selling this an a few other items I landed 7 half dimes and 1 buffalo nickel!
    Of which several were holes filled and actually all were in a way as if they didn't actually fill a hole they filled in the die marriage slot of 125 in the 1829-37 capped bust half dimes.
    1 seated ' o ' badly needed.... 4 "S" mints in seated half dimes... all with 280,000 mintage or below the lowest being 100k! And 2 capped bust mid grade and die marriages needed...
    I'm glad Rob got her....wished I had known you would of been interested I would of offered...however the 1st week I had this Rob asked me straight up do I want to sell It? At that time No! But he did ask right after I posted it myself the first time.
    BTW she'll always be welcomed back to Maryland for a few more years should he wish to sell her down the road.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Not a big pile of money. I can't do big piles of money, since I don't have them. In fact, $500/coin is pretty much my upper ceiling now (and mostly way, way below that 90% of the time).

I'm into that one for a tad less than 300 bucks, since @Paddy54 cut me some slack on the price. Funny, I had no recollection of ever asking him about the coin, nor did I remember it when he offered it to me last week. I'm glad one of us had a functional memory, 'cause I'm happy to get it. He also had good timing by offering me the coin just when I had some leftover funds from my big selloff.

@PaddyB- what a superb example! I daresay it's as nice if not better than the one I just got. But the provenance to a well-known hoard was added incentive to me on this one. My John penny also has a hoard provenance.

PaddyB, spirityoda and Paddy54 like this.
  17. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

PaddyB and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Cool.

I likes me some Vickies.

Silver Eagle likes this.
  19. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. Endeavor