World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Got this one a while ago, before I joined this forum. I don't think I have shown it on this thread yet though. IMG_0001-horz.jpg

This next one is my newest addition to my US Minted World Coin set. (Showed it on my thread, but Ill show it here too) 1941NEI.jpg

sonlarson, Bena, spirityoda and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Stork likes this.
  4. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Dropping by from Ancients.

A coin minted by Julius Caesar to pay his army when he crossed the Rubicon, and marched on Rome?

And a coin that was minted by one of Alexander the Greats' generals and bears his deified image on the obverse.

btw Did you know you can hold ancient coins in your hand, just like a common coin? No slab required. That is a FAQ

Did you know you can buy Ancients for as little as $20 or chase them to the moon? Most people think they al cost a fortune. FAQ

Here are two of my latest. I will post another later on.

My only caveat about ancients... buy from a reputable dealer who guarantees authenticity AND will be around long enough to honor the guarantee.

I am NOT a dealer.

[​IMG]

Julius Caesar 49-48BC
    Denarius 49-48 BC, Military mint. 4,18 g. Elephant r., trampling gallic carnyx CAESAR / Pontifical emblems (culullus, aspergillum, axe and apex). Cr.443/1; Syd.1006

[​IMG]
    KINGS of THRACE, Macedonian. Lysimachos. 305-281 BC
    Tetradrachm (33mm, 16.59 g, 12h). Uncertain mint. Diademed head of the deified Alexander right, with horn of Ammon / Athena Nikephoros seated left, left arm resting on shield, transverse spear in background; no control marks. Thompson –; Müller –; Mektepini 232 (same dies).

sonlarson, Bena, spirityoda and 7 others like this.
  5. MontCollector

sonlarson, Bena, jj00 and 4 others like this.
  6. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Many years ago (1972 or 73) I bought a Canadian collection from a retired M.D. that seems to be change set aside from when someone visited Canada around 1890. I paid the going rate for US silver which was then 1.4x face for the collection. It included an 1870 half dollar and about half a roll of Canadian Victorian quarters. One I think is an 1893 which is probably a touch off of mint state. Many others were high grade.

The sad news is this guy had 3 US Bust silver dollars which he put in his safety deposit box. Then he lent his key to some guy. Next time he checked all 3 Bust dollars were gone. It's a shame because at the time I probably could've gotten all 3 for $20 - $50 a coin. I never did get any dollar older than 1878 until some years ago I bought a circ 1797 (probably an EF-40) out of a foreign collection auction.

7. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Wonderful tet. I used to have one but sold it years ago during a brief moment when I lost interest in ancients. It wasn't like this one tho. I've been futilely looking for a coin of Alexander for 4 years now. I always seem to miss them.

4to2centBC likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

IMG_3689.JPG It, turned into a wonderful day, Laid a man with the same name, to rest, We never said a hole lot! IMG_3690.JPG
    IMG_3691.JPG But, a day that I will never forget.

sonlarson, Bena, spirityoda and 7 others like this.
  9. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

for a few bucks I added a new coin to my crown collection
    [​IMG]

sonlarson, Bena, spirityoda and 5 others like this.
  10. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

bought bulk 49 coins for $22 and thoes are best i find and there more

* 1 Ore Norway 1897 - 3M ex.
    * 1 Centime Belgium 1907 - 3,966,780 ex.
    * 1 Penni Finland 1873 - 2M ex.
    * 1 Ore Denmark 1880 - 1,989,000 ex.
    * 1 Penni Finland 1903 - 1,145,000 ex.
    * 1 Ore Sweden 1897 - 2,544,224 ex.

IMG_20170716_175103.jpg IMG_20170716_175206.jpg

11. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

12. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

1910 3 Mark I picked up in a lot of German coins.
    IMG_4484.JPG

Photographed this for a friend. They think it's either Proof or PL. IMG_4485.JPG

Jaelus, sonlarson, Bena and 11 others like this.
  13. MontCollector

Got this one today for a whopping $ .75. Fits into my new project great!!

Minted in Philadelphia. IMG_0001-horz.jpg

14. Pickin and Grinin

15. mackat

mackat Well-Known Member

Yesterday I got this Ecuador 2 décimos from 1916. It was minted in Philadelphia, as it says on the reverse at the bottom. An interesting fact about Ecuador is that today it uses the US dollar, and dollar coins are widely used and preferred over dollar bills.

[​IMG][​IMG]

sonlarson, Seba79, jj00 and 7 others like this.
  16. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Central American Republic.

Think this one is real. I recently purchased another that was very underweight, only 5.3g.

Central American Republic 2 Reales 1831 USB micro.jpg

Central American Republic 2 Reales 1831 obverse.JPG Central American Republic 2 Reales 1831 reverse.JPG

17. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Here is the other one. Lighter by over 2g, nothing on the thin edge. The other one has rectangles.

Thinking that this is a contemporary counterfeit. Seller was sure that the difference in weight was due to wear. Not buying it.

S20170721_0006.jpg
    S20170721_0007.jpg

Seba79, jello and Stork like this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

19. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Couldn't find a "post your newest acquisition" thread over in Ancients and since I don't usually buy many anyway, I thought I would post this here. I got this on credit after returning a questionable Apollonia Pontika.

Sold as Appius Claudius Pulcher , T. Manlius Mancius, and Q. Urbinius. 111-110 BC. AR Denarius.

I think I am going to hold back from dabbling in ancients for a while.

Appius Claudius Pulcher Obverse.jpg
    Appius Claudius Pulcher reverse.jpg

sonlarson, Nathan401, jello and 2 others like this.
  20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

After ho-humming on acquiring some British pennies over the years, finally got my feet wet with two.

Nothing rare or high grade, but they were in my budget.

[​IMG]
    Henry III (1216-1272 A.D)
    AR Penny
    Long Cross type Class 3b
    Engraver: Nicholas of St. Albans
    O: hЄNRICVS RЄX | III, Crowned facing portrait of King Henry III, 6 pointed star straddles central crown ornament, legend from 12 o'clock.
    R: NIC OLE ONL VND, Voided long cross with trefoil of pellets in each angle.
    London mint
    18mm
    1.31g
    North 987

[​IMG]
    Edward I 1(272 - 1307 A.D)
    AR Penny
    Class 10c
    O: EDWA R ANGL DNS Hy crowned facing bust.
    R: "/CIVI/TAS/CAN/TOR long cross pattée, with trefoil in each quarter.
    Canterbury mint
    1.3g
    19mm
    Spink 1410 North 1040

Theodosius, Nas, jj00 and 3 others like this.
  21. MontCollector

Was looking on ewwbay about a week ago and this caught my wife's eye. When she wasn't looking I threw a opening .99 cent bid on it. 3 days later I was the only one to bid and won. .99 + 1.00 shipping.

The coin is toned and this is what caught my wife's attention. My lousy lighting and photography skill are not doing this one any favors. IMG_0004-horz.jpg
    Still has some luster and lots of color on the devices. Comes with an added bonus of a happy wife!:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted