With all the money printing this coin rings home for me

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by goldrealmoney79, Apr 25, 2020.

1. goldrealmoney79

goldrealmoney79 Active Member

kaparthy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

If you like it buy it. Don't go thru life dragging around regrets.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Daniel Carr draws a lot of scorn from some here for various reasons. I’ll maintain neutrality myself. I have to say though, the man has talent. His pieces wouldn’t really fall into the bullion category. His are more of an artistic interest type thing. He limits his strikes and they do tend to hold their value. Look up The Moonlight Mint. He has quite a few very interesting pieces.

slackaction1 likes this.
  5. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Yes, he has in the past have read the blog on here about Daniel Carr. I stayed away from it but did like some of ART work though. I don't own any Daniel Carr bullion.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

You know what's a debt? Putting $234 into something that contains $15.44 of silver. You're paying 15.15x times what it's worth.

By comparison US debt (amount paid) to GDP (actual value of US economy) is around 1x.

Hmmmmmmmmm....

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Well, sometimes that’s what we do for something we want. I was looking looking so forward the the US Mints Apollo releases early last year that I paid a great deal more than spot value for those pieces. And would have paid more than I did because I wanted them so badly.

kaparthy likes this.
  8. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Well... better to regret the one you didn't buy than the one you did. Pilots say that it is better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the sky than to be in the sky wishing you were on the ground.

So, your humming indicates second thoughts? First, price is always set by the buyer. Second, the idea of "worth" is seldom well-defined by those who speak of it. Is it worth
    • what you paid for it?
    • what someone else will pay you for it?
    • what you gave up to get it?
    • what you would give up to keep it?
    Third, hardly anything you can touch is "worth" what it is made from. A $5 coffee cup is just a few cents worth of baked mud. Even if you get the coffee in the cup for a few cents, it is far more than the farmer got. You want bacon cheap? Raise hogs. But then, you would be eating something you could sell for much more to someone else and use the money to buy something more valuable to you than pork bellies...

Speaking of gold, Ayn Rand pointed out that without things to buy, gold has no value. Some people who have fuzzy thoughts about "hard money" claim that gold is "intrinsically" valuable, but it is not. It can have objective value.

In the first Econ 101 class in college our professor challenged us to give a common dollar for a common quarter. Why would you do that? Because you cannot put a dollar bill into a pay phone. Value is relative.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

What's a pay phone?

kaparthy likes this.
  10. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Well, it was only a few years ago... And even now, where I have worked over the past few years, the vending machines were electronic, also. But you get the point...
    Thanks for the quip.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would give silver melt for one of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted