Why the spike in PM's today????

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by mikem2000, Sep 16, 2015.

1. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Is this a bet that we will not see a rate hike on Thurs.?????? Or something else????

Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

The FED farted.

BenL likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Oil was up 4 percent?

5. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I was thinking it was was rising in sympathy with oil.

6. medoraman

Either or. If traders believe oil is going up, its a corollary that oil dependent mining products will have to go up, if you assume efficient commodity theory.

7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It has been doing this every other day, and dropping the next day

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a hiccup. It will go away tomorrow. :)

9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

10. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

There is a mole in the fed meeting that will stick a suction cup garfield cat to her hotel window at lunch of the first day of the meeting if the rates are going to stay the same. If they are going to raise the rates, it's an Odie doll.

No rate change tomorrow.

In all seriousness now, I don't think it was a big move. I think it was a normal trading day. These tenth of a percent days have been dragging on for a while. I wouldn't be shocked to see a $13 handle by the end of the day tomorrow in silver.

11. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

The precious metals manipulators threw us a crumb.

12. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I'm with Medora. PMs went up in response to oil production being cut in the US. I still say the US should be stockpiling oil right now... until we're staring $80 oil in the face.

13. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

They can't work for free. I'm sure they'd love to keep going, but they'll burn up their assets if they keep doing it for low margins. Our ability to produce so much here should help keep a decent lid on the outrageous prices for a while.

14. NorthKorea

Where are you referencing as "here" for the above? The US cut production.

15. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

The US.

Naplesjack likes this.
  16. Naplesjack

Naplesjack Member

My bet is that oil will stay constant with a downward slope due to weak domestic demand; oversupply of Natgas; and a very weak global GDP. China spiked commodities for the last decade or so, and their demand has tailed off while trying to shift to a consumer economy from an export driven economy. You also have new international supply on the horizon from Iran, and if they can get it together, from Iraq. Add in the Saud's who keep pumping more oil into a weak market, one has a reciept for declining oil prices

17. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

I see only two things that can bring oil up from here. War in the middle east, or a prolonged reduction in drilling so that rigs that go offline are not replaced. It seems the oil producers are all in a game of chicken with one another to see who'll blink or go bankrupt.

18. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

as a middle class man I feel like I have been porked by oil companies and gov.
    makes you wonder why it was $100 BARREL, just putting it to the normal john and jane doe's of the world.

19. NorthKorea

Read a bit more up in the thread. Specifically look at the comments about war in the Mid. East.

I think oil will eventually settle in around $65-$70 a barrel, with nat gas pricing eventually coming in around $35-$40 BOE after a global (including the US) conversion of vehicles from diesel/gasoline to LNG. Non-renewable energy is extremely cheap now, which is killing the renewable infrastructure industries.

The good thing about all of this is, of course, shale is once again (as it's always been) an idiotic concept.

20. medoraman

Its not bad to drill into and crack to release natgas, but yeah, dumb to try to convert to oil. Heck, grinding up turkey parts for oil is smarter than oil shale.

21. SD51555

SD51555 Active Member

Anyone notice silver jumped up 60 cents in the last day and markups fell by an equal amount? I only checked a couple places and items. But it makes me wonder if I'm crazy when I wonder if that $15.80/oz cost mark will ever be broken to the downside in plain bullion.

Draft saved Draft deleted