Why ms70 ASE's so high on ebay?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by jasontheman07, Mar 25, 2011.

1. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

HI all,

I have noticed that MS70 ASE's are selling at mininimum for $70 on ebay with most ending even higher than that for only being 2-3 years old!!

So my question is... if I can buy them at normal premium in my local coin shop... what is to stop me from selling them on ebay and making 30-50 bucks profit all day long?

Am I missing something here? (other than a nice opp to make fast cash?)

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well Jason, those coins are probally slabbed by PCGS or NGC. They have to be absolutly struck perfectly without the slightest blemish. To get that high a grade, you are talking about 1 in 100 proof strikes. That is why.

4. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

interesting... so if I do find any at a dealers shop for a good price then its worth buying huh :D

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

MS70 doesn't mean didley squat to me unless I'm selling. :DIf you ask me it's all a marketing ploy that was created in part, to justify the existence of grading companies, I'm just sayin'!! I only collect most coins for bullion content anyways so it really doesn't matter to me. :D

IMHO, grading only benefits the seller, unless you are teaching an educational course on grading coins. :D;)

6. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I know where you are coming from Fret. Most of my purchases are based on melt value too. However, I do like a few slabs. Here is a perfect JFK slab, straight from the morge. :foot-mouth:
    IMG_0180.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted