Why most people buy PMs for the wrong reasons...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by NorthKorea, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Umm, yah, since technically it's all barter. Hey, that must be some kind of place. That would never fly anywhere I've ever been.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

Nonsense. A unit of account is no different than a unit of time or a unit of distance, etc... Of course it's important! Imagine if all rulers measured distance differently from day to day or all clocks measured time "without a fixed yardstick"... Chaos!

It's no wonder our economy exists in a constant state of chaos with such foolish beliefs.

4. V. Kurt Bellman

You've accurately described the problem - it IS a world without a fixed ruler, and time has already been shown to be a non-fixed phenomenon. You need to adapt to such a world, because the one with fixed ANYTHING ain't coming back, Jack.

5. Danjohnson

Ah, so do you expect to wake up yesterday, tomorrow? And do you think your bed will have gotten noticeably smaller or larger? (lol)

6. V. Kurt Bellman

I'm not planning a trip at the necessary speed, or a trip sufficiently close to a heavy enough object, but if I did, I'd merely age much slower than you did here. The bed will remain the same size, since it wouldn't be coming with me, but the steel frame may have rusted away.

The fact that I will NOT be moving away from you at such a speed is, frankly, my loss.

7. Danjohnson

Society's loss as a whole. (lol)

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, that exchange was worth checking in for.

9. -jeffB

I certainly hope that you're not proposing to (say) accept a payment of $100 face value in legal-tender pre-1965 quarters, then pay fiat taxes on $100, rather than the $1200-1300 actual value of the payment. Yes, it makes intuitive sense to me, too; unfortunately, it doesn't make sense to the agencies that will catch, charge, and prosecute you.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

Funny how so many "hard money" activists turn out to be people playing fast and loose with the tax code, isn't it?

11. -jeffB

Well, to be fair, if you've reached a point where you don't trust the government to issue and back currency, you probably walked past "don't trust them to spend my tax dollars wisely" a long time ago.

12. Danjohnson

I always abide by the letter of the law and consult my accountant/attorney before proceeding. Obviously not a day to day event. Still quite rare as the parasites have done a decent job of convincing many that those green IOUs are actually money.

13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  14. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Oil prices are low...blah blah..blah...I can't hear you - lock step mainstream media says there is no inflation - so there must not be any! :angelic:

Meanwhile, what I've called "stealth inflation" for years has been hitting us like a ton of bricks! Restaurants have raised prices about 20% in the last 3 years, energy costs going up both in terms of taxes and forcing us to pay for "green" energy made by solar panels (at 3x the cost of coal), medical costs through the roof. Stores are increasing prices and cutting back on service to absorb the minimum wage and benefit laws. New taxes, new fees, insurance going up - the list goes on.

The other commodities are really more technology and follow Moore's Law - in which every 10 years the technology performance doubles and the price cuts in half.

Chinese TV's aren't cheap because of the lack of inflation - they're cheap in spite of it because the cost of manufacturing comes down.

Looked at the price of a new car lately? THAT is inflation.

All of this "stealth inflation" because the lockstep market, mainstream media and political pundits saying "it's all ok" because OIL is still cheap. Now smile and take it like a man - NO INFLATION! :smuggrin:

Now take a look at your own finances and get ready to vote next week - or be silent. :muted:

Danjohnson likes this.
  15. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

As long as it's within the law - it's called INCOME OPTIMIZATION. To me, you win by playing a zero sum game.

Because let's face it, I see how it's being spent by me, and by the government - and I am quite sure that I do a better job for myself. :mad:

Nathan401 and Danjohnson like this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, that's not really surprising for Sacramento. But let's take a look where *I* live, because it's the same country, even if another planet.

UGI, the natural gas company here, filed for a rate DECREASE this year and IS talking about an increase for 2017, but still not as high as 2015.

I have only had a few restaurant meals in CA lately (the ANA show) and yes, they were VERY pricey compared to here, but my "regular haunt" in PA has REDUCED prices, not raised them in the last 3 years.

PP&L, the electric company - my rates are down because I shopped around and signed up with a lower price supplier. PA has "electric choice". We aren't forced to subsidize solar ... yet.

My medical insurance premium is not known to me, it's employer paid, but they told us they were able to get a 33% REDUCTION last July 1 (2015), and it was a three-year fixed premium contract. My contribution is and was a percentage of my gross paycheck, and there was one tiny increase in that a few months ago - the paycheck, not the percentage.

I'm not seeing price increases in my grocery store other than seasonal ones (fresh fruit is cheapest in summer, duh!). I budget everything and it's down generally, but yes, I did alter some choices, too. Less beef, more chicken etc. I also buy ALL my in-season produce from one of four farmers INSIDE MY CENSUS BLOCK. My census block does take 5.3 miles to circumnavigate, so there's that. The egg guy is walking distance. Oh, our state still has ONLY the national minimum wage.

I shopped around this year for my car insurance and got an obscenely good price. I've been driving for 45 years, had ONE ticket back in 1983 and never had an accident where I was found even partially at fault.

My state has had one and only one tax increase in the last 3 years, a gasoline tax increase. It was passed because the legislature refused to increase ANY other tax and our roads and bridges were HORRIBLE. PA Turnpike tolls are obscenely high, so I don't use it, even though I could on occasion. My house is 200 yards from the turnpike. The majority of my commute expense is a monthly Amtrak pass, and yah, that went up $5 last month. $174 to $179. What I'm paying in extra gas taxes is more than made up by increased tire life and fewer wheel alignments.

I buy scads and scads of tech products. My home network has on it, at various times, an iPhone, an iPod Touch, two iPads, a Mac Mini, a Windows 10 laptop, a Windows XP tower (to run Photoshop 7.0), a Western Digital SAN box running a Linux flavor on it, and a Unix server.

In the ENTIRETY of my life, from my first flight to now, I've NEVER experienced such low airfares. WOWSERS! They almost pay ME to fly! Last March? Philly to Dallas? $59 each way, WITH two free bags! Then I got a $100 voucher for offering to be bumped, and I wasn't. You do the math.

I don't pay for cable; it isn't offered where I live. No satellite either (ridiculously tall old-growth trees surround my house in all directions except SSE). Oh, and postage came down from 49 to 47 cents.

In short, I AIN'T GOT NO STINKING INFLATION! What you experience is dependent on the decisions you make.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  17. Clawcoins

Chinese goods are relatively cheap to manufacture, but require a large shipping time frame (not good for products that update frequently). This cost is making companies look at manufacturing in more local landlocked, same timezone areas such as mexico and mid and south america. But many international trade agreements also spur or stop manufacturing investment.

Oil prices are down due to the significant increase in Supply (US oil shale, etc). Hey, let's just blame Iran. :) Though gasoline prices are not as low as they can be even though stored supplies have been at record levels. they're now allowed to export refined oil / gasoline. So their math models include export. But local gasoline price models are more based on distribution and local refiner capabilities. If one of those local distribution/refining processes are disrupted you'll get a quick spike in prices .. not that it actually affects the cost of distribution or anything. It's the normal the sky is falling and let's get windfall profits on false alarms.

US born Natural gas has brought prices down too, and i'm not talking about the beans in your tacos. about 20 yrs ago the implementation of LNG in large quantities helped lower prices, while lowering power generation and total overall cost include waste scrubbers. Which in itself is a competitor to coal, whether low sulphur (think North Dakota) or high Sulphur (think Pennsylvania). Of course low sulplur coal made it much cheaper to burn than the high sulphur coal.

Though, people wanting raises and more income I have seen a steady increase in product and services too. Restaurant prices are up as the economy rebounds from historic low property valuations thus low taxation. With a better economy, higher property valuations you get higher taxes which may require higher prices. blah-blah-blah, yadda-yadda- yadda.

All-in-all some prices go up because people like to have raises every year, that is for private, commercial and public entities. If you have raises across an entire ground to plate supply chain for a restaurant either profits dwindle or price go up to maintain prices.

I don't eat out as often anymore.
    Which, if done by many people, decrease the sales, which lowers the profit, which may make them raise the individual price of something to maintain the same profit which ... causes people to eat more ramen noodles instead of tacos. :) or whatever new price gouging menu item Yum Brands, Inc creates to garner more revenue because the share owners demand quarter over quarter increase in profits.

all whilst silver prices raise by 51 cents so far today !!

But the real question is ... did @Bman33 buy into silver last week as a hedge against inflation ?
    or did he buy Tacos?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

Welcome to the "uncertainty premium" or "Trump bump". Wall Street had "priced in" a Hillary presidency and that is looking way less certain today.

19. Clawcoins

time to buy dried food and real estate in which one could build a bunker.
    and silver. Oh wait, we're late on the bus for silver.

20. Clawcoins

21. V. Kurt Bellman

Me? Too late for the bunker, too. Done and ready. Need stuff for it. Soft goods. The non-precious metals; lead, coated with copper (or sometimes not), mounted in brass, are in copious supply. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.