Why most people buy PMs for the wrong reasons...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by NorthKorea, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

Metals come from the land. They are a portable version of land unlike the plot a home resides on. Both are forms of wealth, but only metals constitute money.

Essentially all land or things that come from land are wealth, whether its your home, metals, commodities you can grow on a tree or graze in a field, etc. Yes there are things that don't come from land that are also wealth such as artwork or intellectual property, but my point is that debt based currency is definitely not wealth.

So a person can own these things derived from land, but you are definitely correct that we as citizens don't ever get to actually own the space we live on because governments would prefer to tax us perpetually on it.

Brett_in_Sacto and Danjohnson like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Ever notice the guy who never sells anything get denigrated by the moronocracy around here as a self-promoter, but flippers are okay? Yeahhhhhhhhhh, I noticed that too.

4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

That statement is irrelevant to me because I'm not planning on ever dying. I've developed an economic thesis based on threshold levels of indigestion of chocolate as a "super" life preservation technique in a loose correlation to financial gold foil ingestion stimulating the life saving benefits of that chocolate, and will claim it as a "fact" shortly, or fatly which ever is first. Either way, I'll be richly rewarded with the outcome with both PMs and chocolate stimulate ingestion based upon the economic benefit/cost breakeven point.

Conversely, I like buying ASE/AGEs at what I deem affordable prices because (1) their cool to own versus other financial investments because (2) you can actually hold it and (3) hear it cling together if you deem the risk of clinging two together may scratch them and decrease their numismatical value. Rather than the toilet flushing when your GoPro stock dumps from $56/share to 10.

Danjohnson likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

Ahh, there's the flaw in your plan - GoPro. What is surprising about a product designed for incredible durability having a fall-off in sales? Just because the tech sector investors expect non-stop exponential growth doesn't make it realistic.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

GoPro is a hard lesson of the fact that a great product can make one lousy company. Buying the stock because you like the product is not reason enough. You better like the company -- for its financials and not the product.

7. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

The problem with GoPro is the marketing and product development teams apparently never studied business history. When you develop and sell a limited use product that doesn't break, you eventually saturate your market space. There's a reason why Japanese products started to implement "built in obsolescence" in the 1980s.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

... or like the company for what other people think of their financials.

9. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Not sure when the next show will be. I have put the collection up for sale, and you can msg me privately for any details (non-sales thread).

I have 2 offers to take the collection "on tour" as it were, but I'm hesitant to let them out of my greedy hands. I spent 3 days worrying and churning while they were off at the photographer 10 miles from my house. Thankfully he's professional, patient and understanding! I'd hate to see myself nervous with the coins out of touch for months! Plus I can't stare at them and learn things.

Meanwhile, I've found my new collection - and picked up my first piece. Once it starts to come to fruition, I'll start sharing. I'm not saying anything - because it seems as soon as I announced my Peace Dollar collection, key date prices went through the roof.

I don't know if my sole collection was enough to do that - or if Peace Dollars have just become that much more popular - but prices on them have really skyrocketed lately, and I'm paranoid enough to think it was a conspiracy against me. :nailbiting:

10. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed to hear that you're selling your Peace Dollar collection. I've enjoyed your posts about it. That said, I understand the quest to change things up and I'll be interested to hear about your new adventure.

11. Clawcoins

I don't think it was pure saturation.
    Before GoPro hit the tanks I noticed in Targets, Meijers a new main competitor coming out with competing products at a much lower price point. I saw the competition garner the main section near the cameras instead of a section farther away.

GoPro created a new niche product and garnered high profits.
    When their sales slowed due to competition and their inventories rose they didn't react very quickly. And they still don't!! How long has it been, and how many times did they delay their Karma drone? A couple years?

With Chinese competition they also have a price point issue, and continue to with their drone and cameras.

GoPro reminds me of many companies in that past that have created a niche concept, such as a food retail concept called Discovery Zone. I recall looking at the stock and was going to purchase some due to their high growth/profit. That is, until I saw Burger King/McDonald's installing playlands. And I figured the shift from those places to DZ is just going to shift back. It didn't take long.
    Glad I skipped GoPro stock too after visually seeing the competition in Target/Meijers displace them.

Let's not forget another example in Netscape and Palm, though it took longer for the competition to kill them off.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  12. Santinidollar

Another example is Blackberry, once the hottest item on the planet. It's gone from $160 to about $8.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Meh, another victim of hubris ..., and Apple. When I started at the PA Capitol in 2008, all the "Grand High Muckedymucks" carried Blackberry devices. Now they all carry obsolete iPhone 5c's. I think they're talking about the iPhone SE replacing them when they exhaust the excess inventory from staff downsizing. (Nobody wants large screens - too hard to hide what's on your screen.)

14. Clawcoins

and Nokia, Motorola (phones)

They've literally gone up in flames.

Oh sorry, that actually was the Galaxy Note 7 that went up in flames.
    :)

Santinidollar likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

Hottest smart phone out there. :wideyed:

Danjohnson and Santinidollar like this.
  16. Santinidollar

It provides entertainment without the need for apps, such as watching firefighters trying to keep your house from burning down.:wacky:

17. V. Kurt Bellman

I was listening to the audio version of a podcast where they were showing a video of a Note 7 moving across the floor from ejected hot gasses. It's almost enough for me to go back and download the video version.

18. Clawcoins

I'd like to see that video.

On another note, if you have Apple stock expect sales to skyrocket again. ==> http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/us-army-android-phones-iphones/

19. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I won't ever own anything Apple. Their environmental record overseas is deplorable - all so they can attempt to tout it here domestically as clean and green.

If the public only knew...

20. V. Kurt Bellman

Oh goodie! Something else we can clash over. I pretty close to won't own anything BUT Apple products. Actually, I need multiple OS's on my network, but I've been toying with creating a dual-boot on my Mac to handle the stuff I need Windows for - which isn't much. I can handle a relational database, Apple's short suit, from a Unix box.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  21. Clawcoins

I thought they were made in the US
    CaliforniaApples.jpg

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.