Why is this edge 2.5 to 3 times as thick?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, May 18, 2019.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

So, is my dime simply a finned rim and a misaligned die? Is that it?

Pickin and Grinin and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)
    Imho, yes joe! It’s a beauty of a finned rim too! It appears to be Normal weight.
    Thank you for sharing!
    I wonder what you have instore for us next!

4. JCro57

I paid $20. I think I overpaid

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. JCro57

Are you liking it because you agree? Sometimes i am not exactly sure what "liking" something means on here

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Ouch. I’d have passed on such a coin without a weight from the seller.

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Think about it. The planchet metal is pushed INTO the collar reeding. That puts reed marks INTO the moving metal and much of them probably remain as the fin is formed outside of the die chamber.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. James Har

James Har New Member

Can someone tell me what happened here. And if it’s worth anything? Thanks. It weighs as much as a regular dime but has a edge as thick as a penny and it’s copper. upload_2020-8-5_13-27-24.jpeg upload_2020-8-5_13-28-16.jpeg upload_2020-8-5_13-28-4.jpeg upload_2020-8-5_13-27-36.jpeg

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

James Har. the coin was flattened by a spoon or the drum of a washing machine and it smoothed out the reeded edge and raised up the edge around the coin.

if it were struck out of collar it would be larger in diameter than a standard dime and be missing the reeded edge.

so, the only way for this to happen is lots of banging and spinning in around or it spinning around trapped between the tub and the wall in a washer or dryer for a couple days at a laundromat on the edge as it went around and around, and around

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Loucwear

Loucwear New Member

Did you ever find a answer. I also have come across these dimes. I have a 2020 and 1989. Just wondering if they are worth anything

11. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

@Loucwear. First of all, Welcome to Coin Talk. The post you replied to is six months old and he may not open the thread to reply to you. You can send a PM to John or you can start a new thread. If you create a new post, please attach clear photos of your coins. Show both sides of the coin and a pic of the edge. A new post will get you more replies.
    The dime posted by James appears to have been spooned and is only worth ten cents. This topic has been discussed many times on Coin Talk. Here's a link to one of them. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/dryer-coin-vs-spooned-coin.304963/
    You can google "spooned coins" and find more info. YouTube has videos on how to spoon a coin and make a ring out of them. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted