Dryer coin vs spooned coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by davidh, Oct 26, 2017.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

There has been a lot of causality and interchangeability in the descriptions of coins showing these types of damage. They do NOT look the same, or even anything close to each other.

A dryer coin takes its damage mainly on the outer edges of the faces and partly in the center of each face. The edge will be slightly thinner than an undamaged coin and the devices will show varying amounts of wear.

A spooned coin takes all of its damage on the rim with little collateral damage to the devices. Often the rim will be folded over onto the fields of each face.

The differences are obvious;
    if the rim is thin with worn devices, it's a dryer coin;
    if the rim is thick with no wear on the devices, it's a spooned coin.

Five photos of dryer coins:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Five photos of spooned coins:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ancient times, Insider, NSP and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting thread... But get ready to read some rebuttals!

The Cent under spooned coins is a Dryer Coin. Heat damage on Obverse.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  4. paddyman98

So what about these?..... o_O
    20130305_Dryer_Coin_Lot_1_pic2.jpg
    All considered Dryer coins
    This can be an ongoing definition if the other diagnostics are taken into consideration..
    Such as. Type of coin, copper vs clad vs silver, denomination size. Heat damage to devices as you explained also. But I like your attempt!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  5. paddyman98

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

As mentioned, interesting, but I would notice a spooned coin if I got it in change before putting it into my coin pocket. So what are the rounded edge coins, I clear out of the unit when I am replacing parts? I do not put other metal objects in that would spoon the coin. Can different dryer design produce different effects on coins? Mine is a 25yr old Sears front loading drum. Jim

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Hey Guys,

Thought you would like to see an 1896 Indian cent that came out of one of those 19th Century coin dryers! :D

Attached Files:

YankeeDime and Kentucky like this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Considering indian heads continued to circulate well into the 20th century, in fact into the second half of the century, why couldn't this have come from a 20th century dryer? (And yes the wear on the coin is light, but MS cents from the ealry 1960's still turn up in circulation today. Why should indian heads be any different.)

9. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Here's a pretty neat spooned coin. Must have taken a long time to get this beveled. Too bad about the damage but still neat!

20171026_160607.jpg 20171026_160610.jpg 20171026_160629.jpg 20171026_160633.jpg 20171026_160620.jpg 20171026_160623.jpg

10. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i agree with paddy, that cent is a dryer coin....jm2cents.....

11. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

12. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

Is this anything like "natural" toned versus artificially toned?

Insider likes this.
  13. desertgem

I guess we could call them "Sporked" then.

YankeeDime and Insider like this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll probably regret this, but .........

Heat damage ? Really ? From a coin being in a dryer ???? :rolleyes:

Gimme a break, do people really believe that ? A coin would get hotter laying on the sidewalk than it ever would in a dryer ! And that doesn't damage them. Nor would it ever be enough heat to even contribute to any damage.

By whom ? I see 3 obvious choices.

Somebody who has no idea what they are talking about.

Somebody who is merely repeating nonsense they've read on a coin forum.

Somebody who is just plain wrong.

Now some of those coins may have been stuck in a dryer, but all of them ? Not a chance.

Yes coins can get stuck in dryers and become damaged as a result. But that damage occurs because the coin gets stuck between the dryer drum and drum frame resulting in continuous wear from the drum rubbing against the coin as the drum turns. A coin stuck in a dryer is only going to get thinner where the continuous wear occurs, never thicker.

A coin is only going to get thicker around the edges as a result of continuous or repeated pressure being applied to the edges. And that can't happen in a dryer.

Monty G, sacdollar and Insider like this.
  15. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

sorry, but i gotta disagree. bout a year ago a tech serviced my moms dryer and pulled out a small hand full of coins, one was a dime that he said must have been stuck in a spot where it spun in place every time she used the dryer as the dime was smaller in diameter and had a wide and folded over rim and looked just like a few of the coins in paddy's picture....

Insider and paddyman98 like this.
  16. desertgem

I suspect that Doug is correct for coins that actually get stuck, but I don't pack my dryer solidly, and I can hear them rolling around. If I am watching an event on TV, I eventually try to remove them. if my son is in charge of it, they can spin forever.

17. paddyman98

I have seen the coins that come out of dryers that are being serviced with my own eyes! No joke. I did my laundry at the laundromat for 10 years when I lived in the Bronx... This was way before CoinTalk existed. The coins that were taken out were rounded and the surfaces damaged due to the heat! It takes time but it happens. I don't have any examples that they allowed me to keep because I lost them during my divorce move.
    @desertgem
    And when I say coins that came out of dryer I don't mean inside the drum. It's caught between the outer part of the drum and inside the wall of the dryer. The coins slip in between a thin space between the dryer drum and the outer wall.. You guys are entitled to your opinion, but I know what I am talking about.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Bud1 Wilson and SmokinJoe like this.
  18. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Exactly what I was about to post...but you beat me to it.

All of us know what we're talking about. It's just that we can't convince each other.

I challenge anyone to explain to me how a coin bouncing around in a drier can repeatedly land only on its edge several thousand times. The weight of the coin itself isn't enough for any mechanical damage to occur and drier coins have wear damage, not mechanical damage. I don't know who started the drier coin theory, or why so many seemingly intelligent people believe it but I'll say that the ratio of actual drier damaged coins vs spooned/hammered coins is probably around 1 in 1000+. It seems that here in this forum when someone sees an edge damaged coin, drier coin is their first reaction. Just thinking about the mechanics of how damage occurs and using simple logic should be enough to discern the truth.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    paddyman98 likes this.
  19. paddyman98

It's what makes the forum so interesting! :wacky:

Sley and Insider like this.
  20. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

Agreed... If my dryer produced enough heat to damage a coin I wouldn't have any clothes left by now.

Insider likes this.
  21. desertgem

From now on rather than say " a dryer coin", I will try " a coin that has had force abnormally applied in a rotational direction to its edge ( a FAARDE coin ). Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted