Why fake a 1971 Kennedy half ...help me uncover the mystery

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sam Carter, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It's true people counterfeited 1's and Henning did nickels. But they didn't profit from it. The point of counterfeiting is to make money. Henning paid more in materials and fines than he realized in ill gotten gains.
    And the guy who counterfeited the ones, passed very few over a 20-30 year period.
    Maybe a few hundred. So technically he made a profit.
    With not many ways to spend a counterfeit half, they are not making money on this venture. Machines don't take them, are you going to walk into a 7-11 or a bank with a bagful of these? It's idiotic.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

He must have posted that as I was typing my comment....didn't see it.

Still, I think any half dollars (these days) are a bad choice to counterfeit as they're rarely seen in circulation and thus attract much unwanted attention....

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Granted, but that was not always the case. Point is, we have no idea how old that coin is. Back in the '70s Kennedy halves were minted in much larger numbers and circulated a lot more than they do today. Also granted, people pulled them from circulation all the time and tucked them away. So that coin may well have been sitting in somebody's drawer for decades.

Would people be likely to counterfeit Kennedy halves today ? Probably not, I agree with you on that count. But that doesn't mean they felt way 30-40 years ago.

Rassi likes this.
  5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I have a strong feeling that, to Michael K, 1971 is ancient history.
    I don't think that anyone can get him to understand.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Wait. Wasn't 1971 like, last Tuesday?

Dug13 and rickmp like this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I made the assumption that nobody making counterfeits prior to 1979 would have thought to put a "P" mint mark on a coin. By the time P mint marks appeared in 1979-1980, the half dollar was still being minted for circulation, but it wasn't circulating to any significant extent. It just took TPTB a couple of decades to realize it.

The "minted for damaged-coin returns" idea is interesting, but this one still smells like "novelty" to me. I just can't figure out the target market.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  8. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

People do strange things with Kennedy half dollars. I've pulled quite a few 'oddities' over the years that no sense as to what they were trying to achieve. Electroplated, buffed, initials removed, questionable weights and so on. I agree with those suggesting an artist practicing their trade for other, more profitable future endeavors. I keep such pieces for my continuing and never ending education in the hobby. Anyway, people doing strange things that people do. Don't lose sleep over it.

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

here's an idea:

The Kennedy Half in question was manufactured overseas to be sold/exchanged overseas where nobody would even notice.

This one just happened to find it's way to the USA.

Just a plausible suggestion...

Paul M. likes this.
  10. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

A logical explanation indeed.

11. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

In high volume manufacturing and logistics this is called "strawberrying". The more you know!
    I had just remembered reading the same thing. Here's a link to an article describing the debacle in full:
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/03/feds_uncover_scheme_to_defraud_us_mint_out_of_54m.html

Blissskr likes this.
  12. WashDaddy

WashDaddy AATW!

We need to think like the counterfeiters to really understand why, and it's apparent that it's not that easy to come to a logical conclusion for the most part.

13. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

This sort of make you feel for people new to coin collecting much less experienced coin collectors.

Draft saved Draft deleted