Why Do People Buy Copper Rounds?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Soapy Smith, May 4, 2015.

1. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

You're correct that they're available in numerous attractive designs/appearance, and relatively inexpensive. I've numerous "art pieces" of varying actual coin designs, that when I attend my only annual family thanksgiving meeting/gathering, I bring a different design "coin", in a sealed transparent capsule, for everyone in attendance. I allow the host female who prepared our fare to select her choice first, and then others select, dependent upon their contribution to the event.

Everyone appears to enjoy my contributions, and often negotiate with others for a trade.

It is my method of familiarizing others to numismatics/history/culture, etc., without a great amount of effort on their part. I'm often asked about the design, where I enlighten them by answering their questions, or taking them out on the internet with their "smart tools" to learn more.

The Copper "tokens" can be a great teaching tool to learn about "much" for open-minded individuals.

JMHO

Randy Abercrombie and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Copper was great back in the 80,s , did Air Conditioning and heating for
    a Living and use to go town with my scraps, #1 was .85 cents a pound
    and # 2 was .45, got about $400 extra a month, like getting an extra
    paycheck :)
    But to invest in copper ? it would take up allot of space !! just like
    News papers...LOL

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I was at a show last weekend and saw a table stacked high with these and wondered to myself why..... Now that I read your post I rather wish I would have picked up a pocketful. I’ll be traveling home in two weeks and have about a dozen nieces and nephews that will want to know what goodies I brought.... What a great and very affordable gifting idea.

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

some of the designs on them are really kewl. Like silver rounds, etc they try to find designs ppl like in order to sell at a higher premium
    https://www.providentmetals.com/copper/copper-rounds/1-oz-copper-rounds.html

some are spinoffs of coins ... Morgans, Peace, SLQ, IHP, Buffalo heads, etc
    upload_2019-2-20_17-58-29.png

I've been really tempted to buy them and I know they are a bad investment. LOL

imrich and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. mpcusa

The only draw back, there,s not much value but the images can be
    Really cool, i grant you.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Hey if collectors want to collect copper rounds that's fine with me. I don't really think anyone buys them as an investment, maybe they just like the designs on them, idk. :D My guess is they'll move up to silver and gold when they're able, as long as they're happy, that's really all that matters. ;)

8. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Hey, if they're buying them for art, cool. Collect what you want.

If they're buying them because they want cheap bullion, they're a fool. Copper is not bullion. Copper is purely industrial. Don't kid yourself, you pauper!

9. mpcusa

How about plastic rounds ? i think the concept would be the same...LOL

10. gmmmm

gmmmm New Member

My kiddo just bought a bunch to be a temporary "coin dealer" at a kids business event. He's not planning to get rich on copper, but wants to introduce his friends to the idea of spending your puny kiddo $ allowance on something that yes, looks cool, but also with some intrinsic value, rather than just wasting it on the latest plastic fad thing or candy. My son started by following the metals prices in the paper, then collected some copper coins with designs that he loved, and has now developed the patience to save long enough to move on to silver, but he started with a small collection of copper because let him be a real participant in the markets he reads about with just a few $, and still have something cool to show his friends.

11. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

I give them out to kids at family gatherings. The kids like them. They are just as good as a $1.50 piece of plastic Made In China garbage toy for the kids.

We live in a world of consumerism. People like to spend money. It makes them feel good. These copper rounds are cheap compared to all the other garbage people spend money on. I think lots of people are buying them just for the sake of buying something cheap that looks nice. A copper round could look just as nice, if not better than a silver round of the same design. So you can own an item of a design you like for a tenth of the price.

Nobody is buying them as an investment. And if you know anyone who is, please send them my way, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell them some shares in, a great investment! /s

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  12. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

I sell a lot of copper rounds. Most people buy them for the design rather than metal value. Bullion is usually sold by the troy ounce. These are U.S. ounces. They are attractive sitting in a case and they have versatility. One lady uses them for the tooth fairy. Says it is cheaper than using real money. (as a child I was lucky to get 25 cents). Another customer uses them to mark his golf ball. Local flea market dealer sells them with a holder for Christmas tree ornaments. Great stocking stuffers. Wide range of designs can appeal to a large audience. Most popular in our area right now seems to be Donald Trump. The U.S. coin series is always popular, as is military. Some like zodiacs, others Indians or dinosaurs. Are they worth what they cost? No. Will they go up in value? Probably not. But then many mint products are overpriced and go down in value. Everyone who collects is not interested in value. For them it does not have to be a business; it is more about fun. Probably good that we all do not collect the same thing.

Good Cents likes this.
  13. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

For me, there are at least 2 reasons that pop into mind right away. First, for reasons I can't put into words, some designs are better suited to copper than silver. I attach an example, which I personally like better in copper.

The second reason might make you chuckle. Sometimes my order comes to 97.50. But to save $6.95 in shipping, the order needs to be $99. So I buy a copper round for $1.75 and save over 5 bucks in shipping! Hahahaha.
    20190810_142743.jpg

(Sorry, I was too lazy to post the obverse of this medal).

Good Cents and harrync like this.
  14. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I have had those thoughts as well about what to do to get above $98.99 for free shipping at $99.

It would make more sense to buy $2.50 of something of value to you, though. Maybe buy another ounce of silver, which would take your order above $99, but is something more practical than copper art. Another option is coin supplies, tubes, air tites, etc.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I collect them because they're such a large variety, they're inexpensive, they are mentored by a lot of different private mints and they're fun to look at and enjoy. Not sure how many I have totally but probably 100 or so.

Good Cents likes this.
  16. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Same here; I usually order one or two Valcambi 1 gram silver bars - they're broken off of 100 gr. 'combibars' and hold their value a bit better than generic one gram bars/rounds:
    1-g-valcambi-silver-combibar-piece-67b.jpg

SilverSurfer415 and JeffC like this.
  17. 1776

1776 Member

I buy them for the grand kids. Who cares if they don’t treat them right or lose them

Good Cents and JeffC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted