Why did I buy this ratty old coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@Severus Alexander

I am really glad you got one of these coins. I think the provenance is interesting and the history is fascinating. I like the coin you chose very much. It is very interesting to think of these republican denarii either in the hands of the Iceni who were revolting against the Romans, or in the purses of some legionaries stationed to Britain. In fact both might be accurate at different points in the coin's history. The connection to the past is why I collect ancient coins.

Congratulations on a superb purchase! (I do feel a little guilty that a post of mine was at least partially responsible for you spending money)

Andrew

Severus Alexander likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Definitely no need to feel guilty... money well spent! In fact, I owe you one!

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I jumped on the bandwagon too :D. There were only a few of the hoard coins remaining as of this morning-- all pretty awful, condition-wise-- and then I couldn't decide... so I got two :oops:. It's all your fault!! (please please please let me blame you for this)

Too bad I didn't notice the sale when it was posted. I'd have liked that legionary denarius.

Orfew likes this.
  5. Severus Alexander

I had my eye on that one too. :) Congrats on the two you got... which ones?!?

TIF likes this.
  6. Orfew

@TIF

I am glad you were able to get 2 of these. Yes, that legionary would have been nice. I almost bit on the Albinus Brutus. My wallet is glad I saw the sale only lately. Otherwise I think several would have been in order.

I look forward to your posting of these 2 new acquisitions.

I also received the British Numismatic Journal today where the hoard is published. I have marked the section with a post it note. I believe it adds to the provenance of my coin.

PS Blame away. It is good to know I am not the only one buying coins.:p

Severus Alexander and TIF like this.
  7. RomanGreekCoin3

RomanGreekCoin3 Active Member

Whats ratty about it? That coin was presented to Jesus H. Christ himself!

April

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I took the remaining Tiberius denarius. I'm irrationally annoyed by the "tribute penny" designation and cost of these things but felt that the type belongs in a generalist collection and the hoard pedigree makes me feel better about having one :D.

Of the few remaining I looked up the moneyers and history surrounding them and opted for the Licinius Nerva denarius. It was between this and a P. Clodius Apollo/Diana denarius, which actually has more eye appeal. It's still available along with a Claudius Pulcher Roma/triga denarius and a Papirius Carbo Roma/quadriga denarius. I think those are the only three Quidenham hoard coins remaining.

Heck, I may as well show them here. The export license will take six weeks and then another 2-4 weeks to get to me and I doubt my photos will do much to improve their looks :D

LiciniusNervaDenarius-QuidenhamHoard_edited-1.jpg
    Moneyer issues of Imperatorial Rome
    A. Licinius Nerva

47 BCE
    AR denarius, 19mm, 3.25 gm
    Obv: Head of Fides right
    Rev: Horseman galloping right, dragging Celtic warrior by the hair
    Ref: Crawford 454/2
    Found Quidenham hoard, Norfolk, 2014; purchased from Chris Rudd 26 July 2018

TiberiusDenarius-QuidenhamHoard.jpg
    Tiberius, CE 16-37
    AR denarius, 20 mm, 3.46 gm
    Obv: laureate head of Tiberius right
    Rev:
    Livia, as Pax, seated right, holding scepter and olive branch
    Ref: RCV 1763 (I have not yet tried to confirm catalog numbers)
    Found Quidenham hoard, Norfolk, 2014; purchased from Chris Rudd 26 July 2018

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Marsyas Mike, zumbly, Bing and 3 others like this.
  9. RomanGreekCoin3

TIF, do all those banker marks on that obverse decrease alot of the value?

10. Orfew

I felt exactly the same way. I went out of my way to avoid the "tribute penny" for my 12 Caesars collection. I see them as over-hyped and I did not any part of that. However, given the hoard context and the historical connection, I felt like I needed to buy one.

Regarding your Tiberius, I almost bought that one but changed my mind at the last minute. I rather liked the banker's mark.

Congrats on picking up 2 very interesting coins.

TIF likes this.
  11. Severus Alexander

I like the TIF/Orfew justification for buying not-tribute-pennies. :) @TIF, the captive-dragging motif on the Nerva is very suitable, it seems to me. Do you think the horseman is really one-armed?

TIF likes this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@Orfew and @Severus Alexander, here is the link for the Portable Antiquities Scheme page for this hoard. The record ID is NMS-480CEE

Sev-- your coin is #13 in the PAS hoard record
    [​IMG]

My Licinius Nerva is #15
    [​IMG]

And my Tiberius denarius is #21
    [​IMG]

Marsyas Mike, Bing, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

He looks one-armed in coins which have better details.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  14. Severus Alexander

If a banker's mark affects the devices on a higher-grade coin, then it can hurt the value quite a bit, but on TIF's (quite worn and corroded, and the mark is almost entirely in the field) I don't think it affects the value at all. If anything it may add a little interest, though in this case the interest derives from the awesome provenance, of course!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    TIF likes this.
  15. Severus Alexander

Thanks for looking mine up, @TIF! I got lucky 13. :)

TIF likes this.
  16. Orfew

Mine is #22. It was listed as #21 on the Chris Rudd site but as #22 on the PAS site.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 6.04.33 PM.png

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I completely agree :)

Severus Alexander and Orfew like this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Part of the ALEGANDRON HOARD:

Dug up in the Year CE 3535

upload_2018-7-26_17-6-5.png

upload_2018-7-26_17-11-0.png
    RR Man Acilius Glabrio 49 BCE Salus Valetudo snake Craw 442-1a

Un-retouched Photo!
    upload_2018-7-26_17-12-13.png
    RR AR Denarius A Licinius Nerva 47 BCE 3.58g Rome Fides One-armed horseman gllpng drggng naked warrior hair Cr 454-1 Syd 954

One-Tenth Tribute Penny (would that be a "tithe"?)
    RI Tiberius AE As 14-37 CE Laureate-Pont Max Globe Rudder RIC I 58 Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Tiberius AE As 14-37 CE Laureate-Pont Max Globe Rudder RIC I 58

Attached Files:

19. RomanGreekCoin3

is that Tuvok?

20. Orfew

Here is a new picture of the coin. The coin is much better in hand. I quite like it actually. It turns out that it is a nice coin and not just historically important. The photo does not do it justice. The portrait is actually very nice.

tiberius tribute penny small.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted